Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on crating puppy at night (and waking to take him out to toilet), and using a long-term confinement area during the day (an ex-pen with a toilet area) while I am at work. I was planning on attaching the ex-pen to a wire crate and having that be the "day time" crate for sleeping, and having a plastic crate for night time sleeping, outside of the ex-pen. Is this a waste? Should I just stick with one? Wondering if I should not get a wire crate at all and just put the plastic one inside the ex-pen during the day and take it out at night? Thoughts?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Trucker uses a Plastic crate because it provides his more of a "den like" feel. He even does much better in the basement as there is no random small lights hitting the crate. Pitch black works best for "denning" for him.

Even his portable crate is not a wire crate but rather has sides to to still provide the den like atmosphere.

If your pup has hair (tendency to get hot) I would say wire for the day because of more air circulation and plastic at night for a more den like feel (Trucker has an oscillating fan position near his so it blows cool air in to keep him from over heating).

This is what we have:

Reactions: MHDDOG2016

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a wire crate for Tuxie. At night I actually put a blanket over it so it is nice and dark for him (with some space so it isn't stagnant air), but during the day it is open so he has some light and air circulation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts