Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been dog sitting for a week now and will do so for another.
Wally, the dog, usually stays in the crate during daytime at his house, so he is used to his crate.
The last couple of days it seems he tries to escape? His owner says he never does that at home. Maybe he is really stressed about being here? (He also itches himself a lot and is getting Benadryl..Another thing she said he usually does not do at home).

A couple of days ago I came home and his nose was all scratched up. I watched him and it seems that he tries to use his nose to lift up the crate door and open it. After I found this out, we have put a lock on it, so he cant get out. However, he still tries to open the door and the scratches are not getting any better.

Is there anything we can do to prevent it?
He cannot stay out of the crate unsupervised as he is still somewhat of a puppy (less than 10 months) and gets into all kinds of things if he can.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How long does he stay in the crate? The scratching sounds like boredom, and if he's trapped in a crate for many hours that would make sense. Perhaps he's trying to get out so he can play/interact with your dog, or needs to go to the bathroom or run around?

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is in there for the usual work day. The same time as he is crated at his house.
He usually has a Kong but they forgot it in the hurry they were packing..I found ours yesterday so that one is already in the freezer for tomorrow!
I hope that will make him forget for a while.
But it seems to be not unusual for dogs that have to go to different place for dogsitting? I saw the term Kennel Nose online.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.