Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meant to buy one earlier for Karma, but kept putting it off. Of course GA weather is bipolar and while 2 days ago we had freezing cold weather today it was in the 80's I think... Anyway as we get deeper into winter it'll obs get colder and Karma tends to get cold pretty easily. So I've finally decided might as well go ahead and buy her a coat. She had a Back on track coat, but ate it(chewed off the buckled and chest djustment strap things while I wasn't looking) so I rufuse to buy her another one though she probably won't chew it like she did last time. Just way to expensive to get her another ATM especailly if she does decide to destroy it again.

Right now I'm thinking ruffwear, hurtta, or chilly dogs. Any other ideas? what do you use? What would you reccomend?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I do like the hurtta winter coat a lot. Keeps Penny (min pin) warm and did as well for my dobie. I ordered one for Leggs this morning from Eurodog deigns. She had them for $30 for Black Friday. They go fast but you might till be able to grab one. :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Jessie since a pup has had a weatherbeeta coat and it dries fast being waterproof and is nice and padded underneath to keep Jess warm

Reactions: Jlindsey244

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completely understand how you feel, I have a ridgeback so its hard to find something that will fit and last more than a few uses. Two things, first I buy her knit sweaters because they are very warm and skin tight so she cant get to them to chew easily. The second thing I have used and would recommend is a Rambo dog "blanket". Rambo makes highly durable horse blankets so they tend to hold up while to pooches. However I never leave the blanket on my dog while I'm not around only the sweater gets left on. Often over night so she sleeps better.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I also have a heavier weight dog coat that is made like a horse blanket; in fact, I bought it at a place called Horse and Hound that sold horse blankets that matched (okay, probably the dog coat was made to match the horse blanket, but I don't have a horse, so...). I don't know the maker offhand, but it's line with fake sheepskin and the outer layer is weather repellent material in a very subtle green and blue plaid.

Last spring, when Petco slashed prices on the leftover coats, I also bought a coat that's lighter weight--more like a lined windbreaker--that's cut like a horse blanket as well. Actually, that's all my dog has worn so far, and he appears to be rather fond of it. He's not much for getting wet, so he's downright pleased to put it on if he's going out in rain/snow. Meanwhile, I don't have to deal with wet dog smell if he wears it, so I'm happy too.

Getting dogs in and out of sweaters seems like too much of a chore to me now that I've gone the route of the horse blanket type coat that's each to put on and get off. I don't know if they're as warm on the dog's chest, but my dog is never out longer than it takes him to do his business and bark to come in when it's really cold out. He has the option of spending time in the fenced yard when I'm home, but he's not a great one for taking it in inclement weather.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Personally, I just use a cheap Petsmart Top Paw winter coat. It's got a fleece lining and keeps warm, plus it's the only one that would fit her rib cage. I think I paid maybe $15-$20, if it gets destroyed then I can always, hopefully, buy a new one.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I've only had German Shepherds, but fall camping trips can equal truly miserable weather when even a gsd gets cold. I use old sweatshirts or sweater with sleeves cut off, or human fleece vest. My gsd's fit mens large, with the slack pulled up across the back.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Hurtta all the way. They are great coats. I have two for Tigger that we use for hiking and they're just fabulous. Good insulation and weatherproofing on the outer shell.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@Jlindsey244 How do you find a sweater that fits well? I have tried 4 now on Trucker sizes ranging from Medium to X-Large and none fit properly. The medium fit his neck, "waist", was a little snug in the chest and far to fight in the shoulders. The large fit was slightly to big neck and "waist", fit in the chest and was still tight in the shoulders.The extra-large was way to big in his neck and "waist", was a little big in the chest and was still to fight in the shoulders. All of them were to short in length except the extra-large. Do I just have an abnormally shaped dog (who is perfectly proportionally by breed standards)?
http://www.dogforum.com/members/136001/

·
Registered
5,884 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
@TiggerBounce Thank you. I really wanted to get Trucker one with it getting colder and the winter supposed to be pretty bitter here but just couldn't figure out how to find a good fit other than custom tailor him one. I didn't want to waste a bunch of money on ones he couldn't romp around in so thanks a million for the suggestion.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I looked but never purchased anything because, living in Florida, I never found the justification. I REALLY liked Chilly dogs and thought the way they cut their sweaters would probably fit my oddly shaped dog the best (Deep chest, small waist). I didn't because the cost vs the actual weather we get here didn't justified the cost. I also looked into the Ruffwear but also never felt I could justify the expense for the amount of weather we actually get. If we had worse (colder) weather, I would totally buy either one of those companies.

For now, I have a cheap Petsmart sweater that Roxie wears when it gets cold. It works. I don't mind if I have to wash it a few times, it's roomy enough that she can sleep in it, and she doesn't seem to mind wearing it.

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ahh late reply, but still haven't decided though I'm leaning heavily towards hurtta. I figured I'd get it for her for christmas, but of course now when I'm ready to buy it I has no moniez *sigh* and still have to buy presents for the fam first

Anyway doesn't look like we really need one yet since GA weather is freaking bi-polar and right now our weather has been in the upper 70's(I swear less than a week ago it was freezing out).

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
662 Posts
Oscar's new jacket arrived today. I ordered the Ruffwear K-9 Overcoat in brown (very manly) because he doesn't need anything too thick. It's like a fleece-lined shell. The XL fits him perfectly, although there is no room for expansion, but that's not an issue, as he is unlikely to put on any weight.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Reactions: Sha and jclark343
1 - 18 of 18 Posts