Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Akita 1 years
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am NEW here I am wondering will you get your dog a winter coat? recently I see an article for the American Kennel Club titled " do your dog really need a winter coat " discuss why your dog needs a coat and recommend some winter coat for the reader. however, my 8-month Akita baby has long, warm fur that makes me think she doesn't need one. so how do you think?
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Companion dog

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Chisum has long, fairly thick hair but he does have a coat as when the temp drops and it's damp out he does get cold. His paws also tend to get cold when in the snow so he has booties for that too. Your pup may need a coat, or at least a sweater, but maybe not - I'd probably recommend waiting until winter and seeing how she does.

Dog Snow Dog breed Carnivore Tree

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
It really depends a lot on the dog, the dog's age, and the breed and coat on the dog. One of mine doesn't need a coat or sweater on unless it gets really cold. The other one loses all the fur on his ears if he goes outside in temperatures under 40F. So I made a coat and a very warm hat for him. I know the hat looks ridiculous, but he doesn't mind it and it keeps his ears warm. It took a while to get the hat right, so it would be comfortable and not come off, but it's worth it. I figure if his ears are losing the hair, that is not good and the follicles may get damaged if I don't keep them warm.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It really depends a lot on the dog, the dog's age, and the breed and coat on the dog. One of mine doesn't need a coat or sweater on unless it gets really cold. The other one loses all the fur on his ears if he goes outside in temperatures under 40F. So I made a coat and a very warm hat for him. I know the hat looks ridiculous, but he doesn't mind it and it keeps his ears warm. It took a while to get the hat right, so it would be comfortable and not come off, but it's worth it. I figure if his ears are losing the hair, that is not good and the follicles may get damaged if I don't keep them warm.
Aww please show pic😊

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am NEW here I am wondering will you get your dog a winter coat? recently I see an article for the American Kennel Club titled " do your dog really need a winter coat " discuss why your dog needs a coat and recommend some winter coat for the reader. however, my 8-month Akita baby has long, warm fur that makes me think she doesn't need one. so how do you think?
View attachment 252027
For an akita i would say no. Is it cold cold like snow?
Where i am my winters are very lame to be honest in regards to the coldness. During the day for most of the winter half the people are in tshirts or shorts. So my do dosnt need a coat. He would overheat if he did.
But in a completely different temperature who knows

·
Registered
Akita 1 years
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chisum has long, fairly thick hair but he does have a coat as when the temp drops and it's damp out he does get cold. His paws also tend to get cold when in the snow so he has booties for that too. Your pup may need a coat, or at least a sweater, but maybe not - I'd probably recommend waiting until winter and seeing how she does.

View attachment 252034
Thanks for your reply, Chisum looks very cool!:):) and do you have some recommendations for a coat?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a german shepherd, she LOVES the cold and snow! I would never get her a coat. But my hairless Chihuahua, yes, he had an assortment of winter attire, and needed it to stay warm!

·
Administrator
1,336 Posts
My lurcher will be in a coat or fleece of some description all through winter. My Chi needs one, but refuses to wear one. :rolleyes: She'll be snuggled up under blankets or sharing my dre4ssing gown instead.

Walkies will have to be kept short so she doesn't get too cold for long.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Chisum looks very cool!:):) and do you have some recommendations for a coat?
He has the Hurtta Expedition parka. It fits really well (there are several size options so you need to measure), and is really good quality - thick and warm. We've had it for a few years now and do lots of hikes in the pasture so it's been under barbed wire and through brush and still has held up.

Since your pup is younger and you're not sure yet about the need for a coat, I would probably suggest just going into Marshall's (or similar) for now and getting something that fits her for the time being and seems thick enough to keep her warm. Really invest in the good quality dog gear when she's done growing :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
99 Posts
My two dogs don't need coats for day hikes, and it gets very cold where we are. Both have an undercoat; they are indoor dogs, but we spend a lot of time outside. But for winter camping, we use coats for sleeping and longer breaks (they work better for us than dog sleeping bags). We have good experience with both Hurta and Ruffwear. We hardly ever use booties. If our temperatures get well below freezing and we see them doing a kind of "dance" - start lifting feet faster and higher, their feet are too cold and they benefit from booties.

Akitas should be fairly well equipped to handle cold weather, but it does depend on the lifestyle of the dog. Like, outdoor dogs tend to develop a thicker undercoat than indoor dogs of the same breed (due to different light exposure and temperatures). If you feel your dog is too cold, give a coat a try and see.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It can get very cold where I'm at so my pup already has some winter coats, hoodies, boots, and raincoat. But the piece I mostly use is his winter harness vest. It has an integrated harness and easy to use for walks.
Dog Snow Carnivore Dog breed Collar

It's just a padded vest with integrated harness. Boots help protect from the street salt and also with wet snow, his legs fur and toes collect snowballs and ice. In cold icy weather when snow sticks, he has a nylon jacket he wears underneath with long front sleeves or in wet weather we just use a regular harness over his nylon jacket. It's just a light cheap jumpsuit that I altered because he doesn't like 4 leg suits. I got all his stuff online and not expensive.

·
Registered
Akita 1 years
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It can get very cold where I'm at so my pup already has some winter coats, hoodies, boots, and raincoat. But the piece I mostly use is his winter harness vest. It has an integrated harness and easy to use for walks.
View attachment 252049
It's just a padded vest with integrated harness. Boots help protect from the street salt and also with wet snow, his legs fur and toes collect snowballs and ice. In cold icy weather when snow sticks, he has a nylon jacket he wears underneath with long front sleeves or in wet weather we just use a regular harness over his nylon jacket. It's just a light cheap jumpsuit that I altered because he doesn't like 4 leg suits. I got all his stuff online and not expensive.
That's great!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, but my guy is a German Pinscher, and with the very short coat, he needs something in the cold. I'm in Colorado, and we've already had a couple of nights in the low 30s.

I had Akitas years ago and I wouldn't even think about it for an Akita. They'd be panting at the thought. I've had Rotties for some years now, and never had coats for them, but they don't stay out long when it's really cold.

·
Registered
Akita 1 years
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, but my guy is a German Pinscher, and with the very short coat, he needs something in the cold. I'm in Colorado, and we've already had a couple of nights in the low 30s.

I had Akitas years ago and I wouldn't even think about it for an Akita. They'd be panting at the thought. I've had Rotties for some years now, and never had coats for them, but they don't stay out long when it's really cold.
[/QUOT

Thanks a lot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts