Dog Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well I talked myself out of a bully, possibly considering a goldendoodle now. Any of you guys out there with a second dog feel guilt when getting your second dog? Almost as if you’re letting down you’re current one ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
you cannot actually tell unless you got one, it depends on the dog's attitude, either way you should watch them both

·
Registered
531 Posts
A goldendoodle is a very large and heavy dog, like a bully. So you have the same issues to face with that dog as well. Ie: the new dog being much larger, a very boisterous and energetic breed, and can definitely do harm to the tiny yorkie if they are left alone together.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Well I talked myself out of a bully, possibly considering a goldendoodle now. Any of you guys out there with a second dog feel guilt when getting your second dog? Almost as if you’re letting down you’re current one ?
Forget breeds for a moment.

Be honest and realistic.

What are you looking for in a dog? Think characteristics/personality, temperament, trainability. And yes, size.

What can you provide in terms of exercise, grooming, training, playing - what kind of house do you have? An apartment in a block? A semi detached house? A detached house in its own secure grounds?

How often would the dog be left alone?

Any deal breakers?

"Because I want one" isn't enough of a reason to get a certain breed. You have to be able to meet their needs and they have to be a good fit to your current (and future - as much as they can be predicted) circumstances.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have a spacious home. Athletic, go on mile runs morning and at night . I was thinking about taking the new dog with me .
Dog would be left for about 6 hours alone

·
Super Moderator
4,326 Posts
That's a long time, and you couldn't leave a puppy that long - do you have plans in place to have a sitter or walker?

go on mile runs morning and at night . I was thinking about taking the new dog
Again, that's not something you could do with a puppy, you would need to wait until he had reached skeletal maturity, and obviously build up gradually.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Have a spacious home. Athletic, go on mile runs morning and at night . I was thinking about taking the new dog with me .
And what about the traits I asked about above? What are you looking for in a dog? What can you commit to in terms of training, grooming, playing? How big is the yard?

6 hours alone. What if the dog has separation anxiety and howls the place down, voids its bowels or bladder, destroys doors, chews carpets? Thinks your cushions etc are stuffed toys?

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
6 hours is a pretty long time, yet again we can’t live life living in fear. There will always be a what if! Unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world where We could be with our dogs every second of the day.
Of course I’d wait till the puppy grows and hits maturity till I take him on runs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
6 hours is a pretty long time, yet again we can’t live life living in fear. There will always be a what if! Unfortunately we don’t live in a perfect world where We could be with our dogs every second of the day.
Of course I’d wait till the puppy grows and hits maturity till I take him on runs.
Yes, it is not a perfect world, for sure.
The thing is, with a new dog and especially if it is a puppy, you simply cannot leave the dog for 6 hours at a time. It's completely unfair to the dog, and in the case of a puppy could even be viewed as neglect because puppies cannot hold their elimination for 6 hours.

Someone needs to attend to the puppy every 2 hours at the very least. And it's a good idea to get that in place before the puppy arrives or you even decide about a breed. Neighbor, professional, friend, family member, anyone you can bribe or pay to come by and let the dog out and play for a while. Even an adult dog, if brand new to the situation, should not be left for that long. If you leave a puppy alone for that long, you may very well end up with a dog who has many problems due to being neglected and alone for too long at a young age.

These are things you need to consider. I am not with my dogs every second and that's not necessary at all once a dog is grown and had been with you a while. For a puppy it's different.

I was working full time when I fostered an 8 or 10 week old puppy on more than one occasion. Each time I took the puppy to work with me so she or he was never alone and could go outside to pee and poop regularly. n Lot of work but if I had not been willing to do that I would have had no business fostering a puppy.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts