Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 6 year old male yorkie and I was thinking about getting a second dog. I was thinking about getting a “Bully”, yes a bully! My yorkie is very well mannered and more so on the calm side. I’m considering a bully for the simple reason that I’ve always wanted one and whenever my yorkie sees another dog he immediately wants to to play. My question is do any of you guys have experience with a small breed and large breed at home ? I have fear of coming home from work and something happening to my older dog /:

·
Super Moderator
4,454 Posts
Not direct experience but you are right to be concerned about the size difference. Your little one could be hurt accidentally in play.

You could monitor play carefully and make sure they are never alone together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. Yeah that’s what makes me hesitant. Of course I would train the puppy and dedicate time. I just wouldn’t want to come home to a broken yorkie or something beyond that. I eventually wanted them to be together all day but not if if that’s even possible

·
Super Moderator
4,454 Posts
There will always be a degree of risk leaving them unattended.

What sort of bully were you thinking? For example Pit Bulls are not known to be dog tolerant. American Bullies are conformationally unsound.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, I just didn’t want them to feel segregated. American bully. Breeder has both parents on site. It’s the first litter. Breeder seems very passionate about the breed and claims they are not aggressive. I’m the one with the yorkie though so the situation is a little different lol

·
Administrator
877 Posts
True. My fear is my older dog getting bit or something.
Bitten, trampled on, bowled over, stood on, sat on, laid on, whacked into the middle of next week by a clumsy paw.

And if the Yorkie takes exception to that and the bully doesn't back down... Or if one dog decides to resource guard and the other doesn't get the message...

Then you have the risk of predatory drift, which starts off as play, but the little dog screams or moves in such a way that causes the big dog to enter predator mode. Rare, and much more likely to happen outside on a walk, but it's happened twice to my Chi.

I say this with two dogs of very different sizes. It can be done, but you have to be aware of the risks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
When I got my Golden puppy, my then 5 yr old Mini Aussie considered her prey! o_O
I am retired and when I went out for a bit, the puppy was tucked away safely in her crate. I shuddered to think about what might have happened if I was not around 24x7, until the Golden got large enough where the Mini acknowledged that she was a dog. They are now best buddies and now the Golden is at least 2x the Aussie's size.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Keep in mind, my little boston is the aggressor....... Small yorkies, shitzu’s etc seem to not enjoy the “rough play” but my Dogo is extremely gentle with both of my other dogs. If I could show videos somehow, I would. He plays open mouthed and pushes the dogs around with his nose!
59308E7F-2789-4BCB-BA95-8C2F8CAF86CB.jpeg
E259AA8E-6617-4632-8446-E2C057EDECA8.jpeg
7878D29C-7140-4055-8517-24BBFE1D0175.jpeg
1AE81142-90E9-44EF-AE15-99D585BF9531.jpeg
08CEAC27-00A1-4032-B1E6-B5A106EA7C8C.jpeg
28024070-7B43-42CA-ADE0-C200C969CCBF.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for the responses.
Beta man has your Dogo ever snapped at the little one ? Do you keep them together at all times ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thank you everyone for the responses.
Beta man has your Dogo ever snapped at the little one ? Do you keep them together at all times ?
Never. I keep them together all the time. I crate trained them, and got a smaller crate for the boston, but he refused to be away from the Dogo, so they have stayed in the same crate while I’m at work etc for the past 3 years now. I don’t know if that’s frowned upon, but it works fine for us.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like I just have to get over the fear.
Was training them difficult ? I’m not a new dog owner I’ve just never had two in the same house hold

·
Registered
208 Posts
Didn’t real train them at all. As puppies they both kinda beat up on the Dogo but he is very tolerant....... My concern for you would be a puppy with all that energy play-fighting your Yorkie. If your yorkie were 10+ years old I wouldn’t risk it, but I’m guessing the Yorkie, much like a cat when people introduce a new puppy, will snap back and let the puppy know where the line is. The yorkie will likely “train” the puppy.

·
Administrator
877 Posts
It's certainly easier to raise a puppy with a stable, well trained adult dog already on the premises, but it is unfair on the older dog to be expected to "train", the puppy, or, indeed, be expected to tolerate it's boisterous behaviour. The resident dog has no choice, the human wants the puppy, the human is responsible for the puppy, and for ensuring it does not provoke the dog into snapping at it.

Reactions: JoanneF

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I wouldn’t want to put my yorkie under any unnecessary stress. In a perfect world the dogs would be supervised 24 hours a a day. Unfortunately that’s impossible therefore I’m doing my research before I jump ship.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah I wouldn’t want to put my yorkie under any unnecessary stress. In a perfect world the dogs would be supervised 24 hours a a day. Unfortunately that’s impossible therefore I’m doing my research before I jump ship.
Even if your yorkie isn’t crate trained, that doesn’t mean you can’t crate train the new dog...... just make sure the crate is in a room that the Yorkie can’t get to to antagonize him/her, intentionally or otherwise

·
Registered
687 Posts
Of course, no one can supervise two dogs 24/7. But if you leave them alone together there will always, no matter how well they get along, be a risk that you will come home to a tragedy. A tiny older dog, a very large strong and powerful dog many times the small dog's size..... as others have said it wouldn't have to be an act of aggression because the tiny dog could be seriously injured by such a big heavy dog without the big dog even noticing.
Personally I would never get a young bully if I had a little Yorkie. Of course, as others have said, it can work out. I think it would be best never to leave them alone together, though. One or the other should be crate trained or in another room when you are gone from the home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts