Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Not sure if anyone has experience with Komondor crosses, I have a 9 month old Komondor x Bernese Mountain dog. I am curious what her fur is going to do...

She is starting to mat and I'm not sure if she is starting to get the signature Komondor dreadlocks, or whether they are just mats...

Pictures for reference. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
If you want her coat to cord you will have to work for it to do that, it's not as easy as simply letting the coat grow out. Although I do understand thinking that! I thought about letting the coat of the miniature poodle, that I groom, cord until I researched how to do it. Since then I simply clip her coat one length all over, no way would my friend go in for the upkeep needed with cords.

komondor-info/care

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
We keep our poodle/bischon mix's coat cut at a single length, except for her ears and tail, which we let get longer. She mats very easily, requires daily brushing and combing.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You have to physically work the coat to develop the cords, they don't just naturally form on their own. If you have not worked the coat, then what you're see are matts and you'll need to address those ASAP! Your breeder should be able to teach you how to properly care for your pups coat. If they're not available to help then hopefully you'll be able to find a groomer to at least show you how to maintain the coat between grooming sessions, or you're probably looking at professional grooming about every 6 weeks, unless you go for the full body shave look.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
You have to physically work the coat to develop the cords, they don't just naturally form on their own. If you have not worked the coat, then what you're see are matts and you'll need to address those ASAP! Your breeder should be able to teach you how to properly care for your pups coat. If they're not available to help then hopefully you'll be able to find a groomer to at least show you how to maintain the coat between grooming sessions, or you're probably looking at professional grooming about every 6 weeks, unless you go for the full body shave look.

From what I've read about cording the cords start as mats, but once the mats begin to form then the person grooming the dog needs to separate them into thumb sized portions. The other thing about cords is that when the person bathes the dog special care has to be taken to get out all the shampoo from the coat and then the coat must be fully dried which can take hours. If it's left to dry on it's own it can take days and the coat can begin to mildew.

·
Registered
713 Posts
From what I've read about cording the cords start as mats, but once the mats begin to form then the person grooming the dog needs to separate them into thumb sized portions. The other thing about cords is that when the person bathes the dog special care has to be taken to get out all the shampoo from the coat and then the coat must be fully dried which can take hours. If it's left to dry on it's own it can take days and the coat can begin to mildew.
Exactly. Those matts are just matts until they've been worked into cords. And those wonderful cords don't just magically appear, it takes WORK. Grooming a corded coat is extreme for your average owner. Heck most people think I'm crazy for having Afghans that take an average of 1-3 hour weekly grooming sessions to maintain a quality show coat. I've always loved corded poodles, and if I ever end up with a poodle I consider trying my hand at cording, but from what I've been told by every corded poodle owner I know is that they would take a standard show groom any day over a corded coat because the cording is such a pain to do and maintain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts