Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 11 week old Jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix. I have been reading that both of these breeds are rodent hunters. I am wondering if my little girl will eventually turn on my cat. So far, they both are chasing each other around the house. My cat has stopped hissing and is becoming more curious with the dog. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If you teach a strong "leave-it", and possible "stop" and "calm down" (i.e., have the dog do an all-body shake), those can help if you ever need to call your dog off your cat. Now how you teach those, I'm not exactly sure, but they seem like they could be very useful. Also, make sure your cat has a safe, "no-dog" zone to retreat to when your cat is getting overwhelmed and needs a break.

·
Registered
7,682 Posts
I hope this is useful to you...we have two curs (strong prey drive, squirrels, chippies, boars, etc.) and our 3 cats rule the house! The two dogs may initiate a three step toward cat chase but the cat/s stand still and just stare them down. It's hilarious to see. The one dog (younger one) grooms the one cat's ears when the cat is lying across my lap. The cats take over the dog bed, no dogs allowed! I don't know if this is typical but I find it extremely amusing. The cats now line up with the dogs to greet us at the front door.

·
Registered
507 Posts
JRT's have been known to kill the cat they grew up with. You come home one day and the cat is dead. This is a serious issue. You need to have super training on the dog that he NEVER chases the cat, and the cat needs safe perches.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have an 11 week old Jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix. I have been reading that both of these breeds are rodent hunters. I am wondering if my little girl will eventually turn on my cat. So far, they both are chasing each other around the house. My cat has stopped hissing and is becoming more curious with the dog. Any help with this question would be greatly appreciated.
this was helpful for us. Now is the time to train dont wait until there is an issue.
<> DIAMONDS in the RUFF - Cat Chasing <>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts