Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella has had 2 combination vaccines and a rabies shot already she is 4 1/2 months old My primary form of income at the moment is the 900 or so I get every few months from financial aid, What I don't need for school is basically mine to spend well my dad has already had to pay for 1 of the visits so I still have to pay him back. I only have $9 in the bank and my dad has maxed out his care credit card when my pit bull got sick and had to be put down. My next check won't be here until about 3 weeks after her final shot is due she is supposed to go in few days but The cost of the visit will be about 49$ and I don't have that right now. Will it hurt to wait a few extra weeks until my check comes in to get her to the vet. I don't take her out in public and she is only outside long enough to do her business and that's it.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Personally I stick to the puppy vaccination schedule my vet gives (my puppy's is/was: vacc'ed at shelter at intake, second at the vet 4-6weeks later after we brought him home, option of third vacc or titer after another 4-6weeks, rabies at 5-6months. Will have a booster or titer at a year. Then Rabies as per state law). I just don't want to risk it as during this time frame a puppy really should be out experiencing the world...
since you're currently having a hard time affording the basics, then perhaps it is time to begin looking for a part time job. Something flexible as it sounds like you are in school.:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Part 2 of the interview with Dr Shultz is relevant to your situation:

Puppy and Kitten Shots Often Provide Lifelong Immunity

Back to the subject of core vaccines and establishing immunity in puppies and kittens …

After we've established protective immunity with a modified vaccine protocol and titers to insure an immune system response to the vaccines, those pets are protected for life.

If we follow the protocol as laid out above, titering two to four weeks after the last round of vaccines at 14 to 16 weeks of age, and we confirm the babies' immune systems have responded to the vaccinations, there is no reason to continue to re-vaccinate those animals.

There's no reason to re-vaccinate, because giving a dog or cat boosters of the same vaccines doesn't mean he's more protected. Many pet owners are led to believe -- often by the reminders sent by their veterinarian's office -- that the vaccines 'expire.' It's frustrating, because these reminders are intended to provoke fear in responsible pet owners.

Dr. Schultz points out that like the MMR vaccine for children, the three core vaccines for puppies and kittens have the potential to provide lifelong immunity. We're not positive that every animal receives lifelong immunity, which is why we vaccinate a few times during that animal's life.

It depends on whether you want to take a minimalistic approach to vaccinating, which both Dr. Schultz and I take with our pets. But a lot of pet owners aren't comfortable with that approach.

What Dr. Schultz recommends for puppies and kittens that don't receive antibody titers two or more weeks after the last puppy shot, re-vaccination should be done in a year, which is what the American Animal Hospital Association and the American Association of Feline Practitioners recommend.

Going forward, Dr. Schultz recommends re-vaccination after 3 years or longer, but not more often than 3 years. Since the majority of these pets will have received immunity for life, many pet owners end up opting to titer at three years rather than to automatically vaccinate. The option with the 3-year guideline, then, is whether to titer to test immunity or go ahead and vaccinate.
Proper Schedule of Kitten and Puppy Shots

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have had the money to do it on time but somethings came up and I needed to use the money for me to go to the doctor. I am looking for a part time job just not having much luck since I have to stay close to the house since my dad will be driving me until I can afford to get a car.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not rehoming my dog I can afford it once my check comes in. if you can read. She has had all the other vaccinations and she only needs one more. I had something come up last minute where I had to put my money towards that. I had ear issues and had to go to the doctor which took up what I had saved up for the vaccinations. If I didn't have to pay the office call I could afford it but I have a 49$ visit... I can't stand when people always say OH rehome the dog. LIKE people have unexpected expenses come up all the time. You don't see them rehoming their dog. She will get her shot it just has to wait until my check comes in. I cannot help that I have to wait for it to be mailed to me. There is nothing I can do about that. Each visit has been between 46-60$ and she has already had 2 visits so yeah I have ran out of money. I had the money for the visit but my teacher had us buy 20$ worth of materials for a project we had to do and I had to spend another 20 yesterday on medicine for myself. Things come up all the time you don't see people rehoming their dogs for every little thing that comes up.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I understand unexpected expenses. Really I do. Last month one of my dogs scratched her eye badly and needed surgery. Same time my husband had surgery. Needless to say we're still getting some large medical bills here....

Honestly sounds like you're lucky as your unexpected expenses don't sound to terribly high. Def continue on with the job search as it sounds like ends are just meeting and you could easily encounter some very large unexpected expenses. You'll need to have some funds available for emergencies and unexpected expenses!;)

In the meantime, look at low cost vaccination options. In my area we have a spay/neuter clinic. Vaccinations seem to run $10-25 there depending on what it is. And you pay just for the vacc. No exam or office visit fee. Also the Tractor Supply Co's around here seem to have regular low cost vaccination clinics. Normally on Sunday's in my area.

Good luck!:)

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We only have 1 more and our tractor supply only does rabies clinic.. I'm getting her spayed at a local rescue who does it for $70 instead of 120

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally do not believe in giving my dog or cats vaccinations. It's not about the money. She has had her Rabies shot. When the vet tells us that a shot is recommended I weigh the pros and cons of injecting some chemical into my dog. I am not really for getting her spayed either. She has been my dog two years now and besides these 2 possible hot spots my vet tells me she is perfectly healthy.

My point is don't let them scare you by saying you have to have vaccines or your dog is doomed. I think it is just like with us humans, some are more prone to get problems whether it be size complications or just in the genes. If an issue is apparent and can be solved with injecting a medicine I am all for it. But I will not inject my dog with in example random preventative medicines that don't even make sense to me.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its because parvo is very common where I live. Alot of the pups that leave the animal shelter here have parvo. I don't want to take any chances.

·
Registered
5 Posts
its because parvo is very common where I live. Alot of the pups that leave the animal shelter here have parvo. I don't want to take any chances.
I must have overlooked that part. In that case I would want to stay up on the shots as well.

To my knowledge the day the shots are due the serum is still in the animal just in a smaller amount than recomended. I think you'd be fine if its just a few weeks. But a vet would be best to consult.

Is this your normal vet? Have you considered asking them if they can do it for you if so with no money down since they know you will be back?

Also maybe try bartering, offer to wash the vets car, the windows. Sweep up or something.

·
Registered
662 Posts
@eddieruble, I agree. Vaccines are not benign they come with risks and over vaccination is a real problem and the cause of much harm. The Supreme Court has classified human vaccines as "unavoidably unsafe". The only vaccine that is unavoidable for dogs is rabies, and even then, only healthy dogs should be vaccinated. If you dog is not healthy they should not be vaccinated, most states will have a medical waiver.

·
Registered
662 Posts
And they are vaccinated.

No shelter will allow a dog to leave without fully vaccinating them. Stressed animals are more susceptible to getting sick, regardless of vaccination status.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Bella has had 2 combination vaccines and a rabies shot already she is 4 1/2 months old My primary form of income at the moment is the 900 or so I get every few months from financial aid, What I don't need for school is basically mine to spend well my dad has already had to pay for 1 of the visits so I still have to pay him back. I only have $9 in the bank and my dad has maxed out his care credit card when my pit bull got sick and had to be put down. My next check won't be here until about 3 weeks after her final shot is due she is supposed to go in few days but The cost of the visit will be about 49$ and I don't have that right now. Will it hurt to wait a few extra weeks until my check comes in to get her to the vet. I don't take her out in public and she is only outside long enough to do her business and that's it.
Have you tried calling your vet, explaining the situation and seeing if there is anything they can do to help? They may let you give them a post dated check for a few weeks from now, possibly wave the appointment fee, or even refer you to a vet/clinic that is less costly. Doesn't hurt to ask them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I would never not vaccinate my dogs. As more people do this eventually we will have an outbreak of some the diseases that vaccines protect our dogs from. I do the three shot series for my pups and then vaccinate again a year later but no shots after that. We do not require Rabies so I only do it if I intend to go across the border into the USA.

I really don't think the third shot being a little late should be a problem but check with your Vet. When I got Kris, she was 11 weeks old so she had her first shot then, and four weeks later had her second shot and that was all she had until a year later.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our shelter does. They do not treat animals at all, If a dog is sick they are put down doesn't matter if its a simple eye infection and even if they did vaccinate them they still get parvo while in the shelter because they are exposed to it before they are vaccinated

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Sooo...
No one here is recommending over vaccinating. Just getting basic life saving vaccinations done... something all dogs should receive...

Also vaccinations do not work by the vaccination serum being in the body at certain levels. If that was the case then we would need to constantly vaccinate much like a monthly heartworm pill. A vaccine contains a modified or killed pathogen. When introduced to the body, it results it antibodies being produced and the animal hopefully becoming immune to the actual disease in the future.
Some basic info as related to dogs:
How Vaccines Prevent Disease in Dogs

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Our shelter does. They do not treat animals at all, If a dog is sick they are put down doesn't matter if its a simple eye infection and even if they did vaccinate them they still get parvo while in the shelter because they are exposed to it before they are vaccinated
Are you really sure that your local shelter is knowingly adopting out puppies with parvo? I volunteer quite a bit at a shelter and know other shelter and rescue people... generally a parvo outbreak is addressed immediately. For shelters with little funding that often means all unvaccinated animals being euthanized, the shelter closing for sanitation, and vaccinated animals being quarantined...

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They don't have parvo when they are adopted out/rescued they have only been exposed to it once they leave the shelter is usually when parvo starts in their system

1 - 20 of 22 Posts