Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good evening!

I have a question concerning outdoor dogs and poisoned water. I have two large guardian dogs for my goats and donkey. They're big, beautiful, rottweiler/shepherd mixes, both female. I rescued them from a dumpster when they were about a month old and I've had them for nine years now. They're outdoor dogs in the summer (by their own choice, they're unhappy inside) and indoor/outdoor dogs in the winter. They're well loved and taken care of, and I know this information may seem irrelevant but I'd like to emphasize that even though they're outdoor dogs, they're taken care of and loved :)

So here's the problem. They are 100% perimeter trained and have NEVER left the yard, except for one incident I'm going to mention. During the day they roam free, but in the evening I secure them in a large, home-made pen with a roof, two dog houses two buckets of water, their food, and a large plastic swimming pool. The girls love their swimming pool, and I have to change the water in it every four days or so even though we have two other pools for them on the property. Recently, I filled the pool in the pen after I let them out in the morning, which is pressed against the only wall that is made out of chain link, and figured they would be happy to lounge around in it in the evening since it's been really hot. To my surprise, they absolutely would not touch it. They wouldn't lay in it, wouldn't drink from it, and not even frogs and lizards climbed into it. The water stayed 100% clean for an entire five days before I dumped it and filled it up again. Surprisingly, one of the girls jumped in as soon as I was done filling it and laid in it for thirty minutes or so.
My question is: Would they have avoided it if there was poison/anti-freeze/anything in the water? They're not friendly with people they're not 100% familiar with and will not approach strangers, even if that stranger is holding their favorite foods. (We've tested that. They also still won't sometimes approach my husband after five years!) I'm starting to get really worried. One of the dogs recently got violently ill, but would NOT let me catch her. I chased her around for two days and couldn't lure her into the pen. Then the third day she completely disappeared and I was heart broken. She returned the following day and was completely fine, and the vet also said everything looked okay. I also had a cat die out of the blue with zero warning recently. I live on three acres of land with woods on two sides, but on one side there is a funeral home that was recently purchased by shady people. I'm starting to fear for my animals :(

I'm sorry if I talked too much or gave too much information! This is my first post here and I'm just very worried about being judged for having outdoor dogs! Thank you in advance :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,034 Posts
I have heard that antifreeze in particular has a sweet taste and that it causes many deaths because critters like that. Many other toxic substances are tasteless and the dogs would not magically know they were ingesting a poisonous substance.
If you fear for your animals you should keep them indoors and safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,396 Posts
If it was antifreeze, unfortunately, they would actually be attracted to it, because it would smell & taste sweet to them. Many animals die every year after ingesting antifreeze.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,208 Posts
I agree that they would be attracted to anti-freeze, not repelled by it. As for other poisons and so on, I've got no idea. How exactly are the neighbors "shady"? Is there something they've done that made you think they might want to harm your dogs or you? Personally I think it's possible a wild animal took a dip in their pool and they were repelled by the scent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reply

Lucillle I will also take my goats, chickens, donkey, and two stray cats inside as well! :)

traciek88 and Laco I agree with you that they would be attracted to anti-freeze, so thanking you for confirming that! The funeral home was recently purchased by new people. While it was relatively quiet with maybe three funerals or so a month, there are now random people coming and going at all times, and sometimes in the dead of night when my indoor dog demands to be taken out, they will be outback in this new garage-type-thing they constructed at like 3am :( I've also caught them on my property looking around, but only by a few feet and that was only one time, and I told my husband if it ever happened again I'd call the cops. As far as wild animals go, it may be possible for something like a snake or bat to have gotten in, so that's a good idea! Other than that, the pen is solid wood except for the front panel that is chain link and has a solid roof and door with a bolt that is closed even during the day to deter raccoons and opossums from venturing in. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, I have a cat of my own (indoors) and three stray cats that showed up a year or so ago. The three strays are feral, but I caught them with traps and had them spayed and one neutered. (Spay and release program with the charity I work with!) They never really let me touch them, especially after I trapped them and took them to the vet, but they would follow me around and I always fed them and bought them treats. A month ago I walked outside and one had passed away suddenly over night. I don't want this happening to our other pets, considering our goats will take anything from anyone! (All animals are up to date on shots, vaccinations, and have heart worm/dewormers every month, as well as all being spayed/neutered)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top