Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In about a month, Coco will be boarded for 2 weeks. She will be just shy of 6 months at that point, about 2 of those months with me). She's staying at a dog ranch where she'll have full access to a yard during the day, and crated at night. So, this is different from her set-up now, where she has to hold it for 3-4 hours at a time. While boarded, she'll be able to just pop a squat and just "go" whenever she feels like it.

Am I going to have to start over with potty training when I get back?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You may want to be conservative and take several steps back with housebreaking when she returns (keep an eye on her, take her out more frequently, etc.) but it may not cause an issue at all.

Dogs are creatures of habit, and it's very likely that having access to the outdoors (as long as she's truly out there constantly and/or taken out frequently) will get her in the habit of going outdoors. A few years ago my family transitioned three adult outdoor dogs to indoor dogs and we were worried that they would have multiple accidents - turns out, they were so in the habit of going outside that they were housetrained instantly and were far more reliable than our indoor dog was.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts