Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my mini dachshund will sometimes lick or chew on my tweener dachshund. he will also whine when he does this. does anyone know why maybe? just curious.

·
Registered
92 Posts
which one is whinning? The tiny one getting licked on or the one doing the licking?
If the tiny one...it's probably a dominance issue
If the big one...I have no idea

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the little one who licks the bigger one whines and its realllllyyy annoying. hehe. but what i dont get is if its a dominance thing then why is he so shy to take treats when we give them to him? its always the bigger one who takes them from him. haha

edit- the tiny one is the one who licks the bigger one. the bigger one just sits there and sleeps lol. ill try to get a picture if i can.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would think that your smaller dog is showing respect and submission to your larger dachshund. Usually grooming is a sign of submission so my bets on that. Im guessing though that if it is a submissive thing then the whining is again to show submission and to show your larger dachshund that he/she is no threat. Where does he lick/chew? Beacause that might give an indication?

The treat thing might also be a sign of submission as he is cautious to take the treat incase he gets in trouble for taking food with/before the leader of the pack (the dog pack that is not the human and dog pack XD).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he licks his back and its gross. lol. but its funny that if my larger dachshund is chewing on a bone and he turns his back the little one will steal it from him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my mini dachshund will sometimes lick or chew on my tweener dachshund. he will also whine when he does this. does anyone know why maybe? just curious.
As humans we speak in words, but we forget when we where babies we cried, some times in joy, some times in pain, most times in communicating.

The mother can more or less understand a baby’s cry; other babies completely understand other baby’s cries.

Animals do not have words, they speak in emotions. Think of it as a dialect. A whine can be a way to ask for acceptance, for comfort (reciprocal) In every animal species, there is a pecking order, The Alpha male, the alpha bitch, the followers, and within these ranks, there is infighting to prove the ranks. Pups and smaller breeds, can not compete in this, but regularly will be seen next to the Alpha. Adoption is basically what this is. The puppy or smaller breed will become adopted by an Alpha or higher ranking animal to raise his “Standard” within the pack.

Animals have a natural instinct of parenthood. Tonight at work, we have these huge monitors, one is supposed to be on a weather channel, the other one on news and a third shows alarms in queue. Well on one screen, there was a report about a chimp taking care of baby cubs (tigers I believe) and although the Chimp should have been very frightened of the cats, he sat there with a baby bottle and fed them!
Now the natural instinct of the cats should be to fight and wound the chimp, but as they where babies, and the chimp was mature, they instinctively took the chimp as the parent. Much like I suppose your tiny pup is doing to the larger pup.

The problem here will be weening the pup from what he conceives to be his Mum now...

Frenchy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i forgot to ad that since no body wanted them at the pet store they spent 5 months together trapped in alittle cage.

thanks Frenchy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts