Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
My therapist asked me this same question upon adopting my newest project. It was in a therapeutic setting, the purpose of which is to get me to think about why I do the things I do.

For me, I do it because it's my way of telling the world that there can be untold treasures in less than obvious places. Growing up, I had behavior issues of my own, my mother took an active role in making a bad situation worse. My dad, sometimes he was there for me, but he was passive to the point of keeping us both in a bad situation. My mother isn't in my life to see what I do with dogs. But I don't do any of it to prove her wrong, her absence is always welcome. But my dad sees it. He's perpetually blown away with the positive impact I can have. At the end of the day, I do what I do to sort of validate my own worth as a person. It's a sort of an honoring of my inner child, who wanted to be loved for who she was. Something I didn't get much of from either parent. So I toil away, loving my dogs, loving myself. I tell my newest dog, who has anxiety issues, "You kind. You smart. You special." He probably thinks I'm crazy, but I have noms and give good body rubs. Why not stick around?! Lol!:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.