Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my rescue chihuahua/miniature pinscher for a week now. He's supposedly 1 yrs old, but I believe he's no more than 6 months. He's on antibiotics because of his kennel cough & he is quite underweight-- 3.5 lbs.
When I was sent home with him, they told me to feed him chicken broth and plain baked chicken (shredded). We fed him that about three to four times a day and then we added in different types of food. All organic. His favorite now is salmon and sweet potato by purina beyond with some kibble on top of it. He enjoys bacon treats and mini carrot sticks.

Today, though, he won't eat anything I give him. No treats, no meals, no chewy bones. He's not even drinking water. He has pooped and peed twice today and he obviously loathes the cold today, so he doesn't want to be outside for long. He seems to just want to cuddle and sleep all day today.

Should I be worried? Or maybe this will pass?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Call the vet and tell them what is going on and see if they want to bring him in. It is probably the antibiotics. Its common for them to stop eating. Call the vet though to make sure.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
He is probably ok, but to be sure you need your Vet to check him out. He can go for days without eating, but if he is not drinking he will dehydrate seriously in a short time. That can rapidly become a life and death situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts