Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dog nails are constantly growing, just like human nails. Some dogs wear down their nails naturally from walking on pavement, gravel or concrete. However, the majority of today's dogs live indoors and don't spend enough time on these surfaces to keep the nails short. This is especially the case with small dogs (like Chihuahuas and Miniature Dachshunds - two breeds that seem to especially dislike having their paws touched). If left to grow, some dog's nails will curl under and actually start growing into the foot pads. This leads to painful sores and infections. Even if they do not curl under, long nails can make it difficult for dogs to walk, especially on slick surfaces. Finally, long nails can easily get caught on something and become partially torn off or split. This is very painful for your dog, and treating a torn nail may require sedation at your vet's office.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I work at a doggie daycare and there was this one dog there once, and I honestly don't know how well the owner's took care of some of his needs. His nails were so long that they were curling and growing INTO his toes (I don't know if that would normally happen, but I think this dog is slightly deformed in general. His eyes kind of pop out and go in opposite directions and he has a bit of a hunchback). We clipped them but one of his paws started bleeding because they were so bad :( Poor little guy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's one thing to have a dog that doesn't like to get there nail's trimmed. But to have a person that doesn't no how or enough to do it.. There are videos on youtube that you can watch..

·
Registered
713 Posts
A good rule of thumb that I tell people is that if you hear their nails clicking on the floor when they walk then it's time to have their nails checked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Perfect Paw Dog nail trimmer

Easy and Effective Way to Trim Your Dog's Nails!
This cordless and portable nail trimmer has a rotating filing stone that gently files your pet's nails, leaving a smooth finish. 2 different filing grits and variable speed control allow you to find just the right setting for your pet - which means a positive grooming experience for all!

Fine grit for soft nails and buffing
Coarse grit for harder nails
Includes safeguard cover with nail guard safety holes
Ergonomic shape for ease of use
Bonus! Batteries and extra filing sone included.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,929 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dogs' nails should be trimmed, either monthly or bi-monthly depending on their nail-growth rate. This will prevent their toes from twisting to relieve the pressure of overgrown nails and reduce the chances of nail splitting, which can also cause serious infections.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Dog nails are constantly growing, just like human nails. Some dogs wear down their nails naturally from walking on pavement, gravel or concrete. However, the majority of today's dogs live indoors and don't spend enough time on these surfaces to keep the nails short. This is especially the case with small dogs (like Chihuahuas and Miniature Dachshunds - two breeds that seem to especially dislike having their paws touched). If left to grow, some dog's nails will curl under and actually start growing into the foot pads. This leads to painful sores and infections. Even if they do not curl under, long nails can make it difficult for dogs to walk, especially on slick surfaces. Finally, long nails can easily get caught on something and become partially torn off or split. This is very painful for your dog, and treating a torn nail may require sedation at your vet's office.
thx for your remind, i never care more about the nails before. and i do not care much about that before. how terrible the result will be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts