Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 month old puppy, is a teddy bear designed breed. Mix of shihtzu and bichon-frise. The vet recommended to give him a bath only once a month to not harm his coat. But he smells really bad. I'm bathing him twice a month and use a dry shampoo in between. But still 2 days after his bath he starts smelling again. and when I bathe him, he stinks all the bathroom. Any advice?

·
Registered
917 Posts
What does he smell like? Have you had the anal glands checked?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If he is living in the house then it is strange that he is smelling so bad. Unless your just super sensitive to the smell? I would contact a local groomer or even your vet just to ask are there any other reasons that could cause a dog to smell. Maybe wash his bed when you give him a bath so everything is smelling nice and fresh in the first place.

If he is living outside then that's the price you will have to pay because outdoor dogs always smell a little more.

Reactions: warren1977

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Have you checked his ears for ear infection and his skin for 'hot spots'......that will cause a horrible smell!
It will not harm his coat to bath him once a week if he has a healthy coat and is an indoor dog. Also agree that his food may be affecting his odor....

Reactions: warren1977

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I don't think its breed specific. Samantha is half bischon, half poodle, we have never had an odor problem with her, except perhaps when she had ear infections. Could be that, or a gastro problem, if her breath is bad, or diet, or as mentioned her anal gland could be impacted. That Samantha has had problems with, but our Vet has always expressed it before we ever noticed an odor.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had to change Pax's food several time as he was growing up due to food sensitivities and his smell changed dramatically with each change, and that was with a bath several times a week due to beach trips...so diet can play a large role in a dog's scent.

I found a Salmon based food that worked well for him but it was not worth the intense "dog" smell it created from him.

Puppy breath however is normal for most dogs and that is eventually outgrown.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm not sure if this can relate to you or but, but I dog-sat a Goldendoodle for 2 months and he stunk bad.
I think it was due to his long shaggy hair and living in the pacific northwest, he would go outside and come in wet no matter if it was raining or not just from the grass.
Even if he was licking himself the saliva stayed on him much longer than my personal dogs. It was all the hair around his feet just absorbing the water and giving off a constant wet dog mildewy stink.

One of my good friends has a bichon and he never smells, in my personal opinion I think it has to do with mixing a curly haired dog with a non curly haired dog resulting in that shaggy coat. (this is based on no science, just my observations)

His owner would not let me cut his hair, but I think that would have solved it. This is what his hair looks like

Screen Shot 2016-04-26 at 2.14.09 PM.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
It depends really. You should have a groomer tell you if he smells like a normal dog or if he smells like something is off. On a regular basis I have customers who say their dog smells awful. Usually their dog just smells like a dog should and they don't like the smell. You might be sensitive to the smell of dogs or your dog could have a skin or ear problem but we can't tell you because we can't smell the dog through our computer. :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Is this your first dog by any chance? Or possibly your first dog with longer fur/hair? I know when I fostered a malamute/husky I thought she was so smelly, even after a bath, but really I was just so used to my own dog's hard coat that doesn't hold onto many smells. The good thing about these kind of coats is that they hold good smells, too! I agree that it might be good to bring your dog to a groomer and ask them about it, believe me they won't hesitate to tell you and they'll probably know the source of the smell. It's possible that your dog may just need a hygiene trim (shaving a bit around the butt and genitals) or get his ears cleaned. If it's been raining near you it could just be a "wet dog" smell. I'd be hesitant to cry anal glands at that age, but it is possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 4 month old puppy, is a teddy bear designed breed. Mix of shihtzu and bichon-frise. The vet recommended to give him a bath only once a month to not harm his coat. But he smells really bad. I'm bathing him twice a month and use a dry shampoo in between. But still 2 days after his bath he starts smelling again. and when I bathe him, he stinks all the bathroom. Any advice?
what really works for me is pet deodorant. It is animal friendly and they have all kind of fregance. I buy them on amazon. https://amzn.to/3fqiVPm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts