Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sitting here wondering....

Why does he want to roll on dead worms and toads?

Why does he view rabbit droppings as raisinettes?

Why can't he be a bit more careful about doing the back kick thing after pooing so that he doesn't kick his own poo?

Why can he learn what ride, car, eat, and nanny means at the speed of sound yet have so much trouble grasping Let's Go (I do use treats to try and train it)?

:ponder::ponder::ponder:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't you just love dogs! :rolleyes:

I especially have a problem with Asha doing the kick back after pooing, not because she steps in it, but because she kicks the sandy dirt all over me when doing it, this becomes especially bad when it's been raining and it turns to mud.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I feel you with the rolling. I live on eight acres, fenced so my dogs can run free every day but...the horses run free too and somehow, Horse Poo is both an opportunity for a rolling massage and, if it's fresh, a lovely hors d'oeuvre. My three dogs get three baths/hose-offs at least three times a week because of this.
Not sure if your questions were entirely rhetorical or not, but just in case,
there's an essay by Patricia McConnell that appears in a couple of her books on why dogs roll in dead things and smelly things. Theories range from masking their own scent, to using it as a status symbol to show they have a territory with plentiful food (and our dogs carry the instinct if not the understand of exactly why), to the idea that maybe dogs simply love the smell, like some humans love certain perfumes.

·
Registered
906 Posts

Why can't he be a bit more careful about doing the back kick thing after pooing so that he doesn't kick his own poo?

Why can he learn what ride, car, eat, and nanny means at the speed of sound yet have so much trouble grasping Let's Go (I do use treats to try and train it)?

I suspect he knows *exactly* what "let's go" means. He's just not ready to "go".

Boone has figured out "Let's go" means he'll have to stop sniffing - so he ignores it if he's not done sucking every molecule of scent out of that spot. He's also learned that "Hurry up" means he has time to lift his leg, if his investigations suggest that's necessary. I did not specifically teach him that, he just somehow worked it into our communication stream:

Boone (sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff)
Claudia (standing around watching sniffing, getting bored/wet/cold)
Claudia: Boone, let's go!
Boone (sniff sniff sniff sniff sniff)
Claudia: (tug on leash) Boone, let's GO!
Boone: (Bracing feet, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff)
Claudia: Hurry UP!
Boone: (sniff, sniff, quickly rearranging for perfect aim, lifting leg, peeing)
And we're off ...

3 steps ...

Boone: Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff .....

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect he knows *exactly* what "let's go" means. He's just not ready to "go".

Boone has figured out "Let's go" means he'll have to stop sniffing - so he ignores it if he's not done sucking every molecule of scent out of that spot. He's also learned that "Hurry up" means he has time to lift his leg, if his investigations suggest that's necessary. I did not specifically teach him that, he just somehow worked it into our communication stream:

Boone (sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff)
Claudia (standing around watching sniffing, getting bored/wet/cold)
Claudia: Boone, let's go!
Boone (sniff sniff sniff sniff sniff)
Claudia: (tug on leash) Boone, let's GO!
Boone: (Bracing feet, sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff)
Claudia: Hurry UP!
Boone: (sniff, sniff, quickly rearranging for perfect aim, lifting leg, peeing)
And we're off ...

3 steps ...

Boone: Sniff, sniff, sniff, sniff .....

That sounds remarkably like Zody. I set out to take a walk with him, what I usually accomplish is a stop and start. I usually don't mind since I'm walking him for his pleasure, but it does get annoying when I'm standing in the sun, feeling like I'm frying, and the dog is ever so carefully investigating every blade of grass, grain of sand, and fallen leaf. He's learning that he can come along when I say let's go and get a really nice treat, or he can try staying there and get pulled away.

·
Registered
131 Posts

1.) Dogs love to roll in smelly things, its what they do

2.) What kind of food do you feed your dog? Maybe he is missing nutrients in his diet, or some dogs are super clean and like to clean up their yard, but the rolling doesn't seem like it.

3.) Dogs kick grass to spread there scent/ Mark their territory or are simply just trying to cover it up.

4.) When you have him outside have him on a long line so when you say "lets go" and he doesn't move pick up the leash and make him come to you. He realizes he can do what he wants and when HE decides its time he still gets rewarded. Also when you say lets go try being excited and start walking or running the other way so he wants to follow you.

I hope this helps :)

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
After jess poo she doesnt kick back the grass if anything its after she pees lol! dogs just love getting dirty! amount of times jess got in mud and ive had to wash it off ugh!

Reactions: Rain

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.) Dogs love to roll in smelly things, its what they do

2.) What kind of food do you feed your dog? Maybe he is missing nutrients in his diet, or some dogs are super clean and like to clean up their yard, but the rolling doesn't seem like it.

3.) Dogs kick grass to spread there scent/ Mark their territory or are simply just trying to cover it up.

4.) When you have him outside have him on a long line so when you say "lets go" and he doesn't move pick up the leash and make him come to you. He realizes he can do what he wants and when HE decides its time he still gets rewarded. Also when you say lets go try being excited and start walking or running the other way so he wants to follow you.

I hope this helps :)

But, but, but, I've discussed it with him! Same with his attitude with people, we've discussed that they are not axe murderers disguised as neighbors :p

Thanks for taking the time to explain, but I did know why he does what he does.. Although with the rabbit droppings I strongly suspect that he simply liked the flavor. He eats Fromm, and I rotate the flavors, it's a pretty good brand of food.

Strangely knowing the reason has never kept me from thinking things like.. "Really a worm? You choose to roll on a dead worm? Darn it why?", or "Rabbit droppings? I feed you great food, give you real meat as treats, and you want to eat rabbit droppings?" I guess with that one I should have been grateful that it wasn't cat poo, I had two dogs that loved to eat out the litter box if I wasn't fast enough scooping it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After jess poo she doesnt kick back the grass if anything its after she pees lol! dogs just love getting dirty! amount of times jess got in mud and ive had to wash it off ugh!

Mud was Jersey's specialty. Thankfully Zody has never shown any inclination to roll in puddles or play in the mud. He'll just roll on nasty stuff if I give him half a chance.

Reactions: crazy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Mud was Jersey's specialty. Thankfully Zody has never shown any inclination to roll in puddles or play in the mud. He'll just roll on nasty stuff if I give him half a chance.
Jess will run into it and nearly swim in it ugh! she also likes to splash in it. cheeky sod lol makes more work for me.

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I think when they told us this animal was a dog, they must have tricked us... in really he's a boar...if he gets the oportunity to wallow in a muddhole and stick his nose in the ground somewhere in the forest, he'll do it. XD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts