Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'm so confused. Is she using dogs as an analogy in support of keeping exotic animals as pets? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
Thanks I needed a good laugh!

Every time my dogs have escaped from captivity they kept coming back to me on their own, I highly doubt that a wild animal would do so.

I do get the point she's trying to make, but she fails to see the difference between a wild animal and a domesticated one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand the points she is making, but many dogs are not like this. Anyways if it is anymore cruel than keeping for example a bird or a bunny as a pet, then why is it so popular to have a dog? Many dogs that are 'set free' do not survive! In my opinion, dogs were bred to be pets over a very long period of time and are completely different to wolves!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I think it's against all pet ownership.

I have so many comments running through my head right now. This is written by someone who clearly does not know a thing about domesticated dogs.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
After reading the entire article I am changing my response. I think she is using the dog argument to support the owning of exotic pets. I don't think she really wants people to stop having dogs as pets.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Most dogs are quite happy at home and spoiled. lol

There isn't anything wrong with some people owning exotic pets as a sanctuary like situation assuming they have a good environment for the animal. There are people that are pretty ignorant and irresponsible though. I will say primates should only be allowed at zoos because of the risk of spreading diseases to humans due to how closely related to humans they are.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
That article really moved me so I set my Mia free to give her the freedom she rightfully deserves. She peed and then stood at my back door crying to be let back in. It's probably a good thing. Her hunting instincts are non existent so I have no idea how she'd feed herself.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
That article really moved me so I set my Mia free to give her the freedom she rightfully deserves. She peed and then stood at my back door crying to be let back in. It's probably a good thing. Her hunting instincts are non existent so I have no idea how she'd feed herself.
I briefly thought about teaching Zody to hunt, sought of like they do with bear cubs and such, before setting him free in the woods, but I got to thinking he'd have a very hard time surviving the winter, if he managed to not get eaten by the coyotes or hawks before, then so I canceled my return Zody to the wild plan.

After being forced to wear a harness and leash so that I was forced to follow behind him while he sniffed everywhere, he was brought inside where he dinned on very boring chicken and rice mixed with kibble and is now curled up on a cushion besides me. He's living a horrible life:eyeroll:

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't read all of this drivel and just glanced it over. But if her goal is to use it as an analogy between keeping pets and exotic animals as pets, she is clearly missing the obvious point that pets have been domesticated for thousands of years.... And if she addressed it (saw she said it was cruel), she did it without persuasion.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The article is not against keeping dogs as pet, she is just taking the same arguments that people are using against owning exotic pets. Not the best way to argue since most readers got so upset that they didn't even get to that part before starting to write comments:p.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What a nut bag! She can't see the difference between owning a dog and say owning a tiger? I guess she has never watched the show Fatal Attractions ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think she kept the example going for a bit too long. I almost didn't bother to read the disclaimer she had at the bottom explaining wth she was on about.

I wonder exactly what sort of "exotic" animals she's talking about. She specifically states 'exotic' isn't just 'large, dangerous carnivores.'
Is she talking marmosets or lemurs, or what?

Apparently any doubts about exotic pet ownership reflect doubts about pet ownership in general. I would think one of the biggest things that separates the two would be what we can provide for our pets. I don't have a border collie because I doubt I'd be able to keep up with one and provide the right level of stimulation. So I got a dog that quite happily sleeps all day after a walk in the morning, and has a hyper period at night. I wouldn't be able to provide the environment a marmoset needed, and a giraffe wouldn't fit in my car if we needed a vet visit.

Also - safety. I like my chances of surviving my housecat's mood swings than those of a mountain lion or something. But maybe not. I've never met a mountain lion, so perhaps they're sweet creatures and I'm falling into this trap of thinking that exotic pets are different from dogs...

And although it's not really relevant, I don't think my dog minds hanging out with us. He gets fed, walked, basically free run of the house and yard, infinite cuddles, and he has his "own" cat. What more could a puppy want? :p

·
Registered
99 Posts
I especially adore: -

Simply put, breeding dogs to be "pets" is a wrong and cruel act that is detrimental for our society.
Does this person know anything about why and how the transition from wolf to domestic dogs came about? About how they became domesticated in the first place? How our first relationships with dogs helped our species survive because we had dogs to help us hunt? Helped us farm? Helped guard us? In some ways, they helped us form society by working for us.

If there was nothing evolutionarily beneficial to those wolves in the first step toward domestication, dogs would not be pets today.

It was a relationship that benefited both, else it would never have worked.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ingrid Newkirk is head and founder of PETA. She would love nothing more than to see no human own ANY form of a pet. Be that a domestic dog or cat, or a bloody lion or tiger. PETA euthenises 90% of all pets that land in their shelters. Doesn't matter whether they have behaviour problems, are as close to perfectly behaved as an animal can come or whether they are a newborn kitten.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ingrid Newkirk is head and founder of PETA. She would love nothing more than to see no human own ANY form of a pet. Be that a domestic dog or cat, or a bloody lion or tiger. PETA euthenises 90% of all pets that land in their shelters. Doesn't matter whether they have behaviour problems, are as close to perfectly behaved as an animal can come or whether they are a newborn kitten.
:eyeroll:

And "no-kill" shelters turn away about 90% of animals that are turned in on their doorstep. They do, by majority, only accept the pretty, cute, and easy to adopt. Anything ugly, hard to control, or with a bad history is shuffled out the back door to a kill shelter so let's not say PETA is a monster. At least PETA is more open about what they do, no kills hide behind pretty venues.

As for the original post & blog

Far as I can tell she's a bit extreme but she is stating hard fact... something that most people [like 90% of people] would rather put their hands over their ears and scream lalala like a 5-year-old rather than hear.

If she is supporting exotics that's a problem but if you read her other articles it seems she is not. She is merely telling you information.

However, she raises some very good points. Most dog breeds nowadays are nothing but mockeries of what they were supposed to be

GSDs - ruined

Bulldogs - ruined

Irish Setters - ruined

BCs - eventual ruining due to this show aspect. 80 to 90% of BC owners back in the day NEVER wanted to join the AKC. Really only reason why the BC is part of the AKC is cause of a bunch of whiners that wanted show dogs instead of what the breed was supposed to be.

Saint Bernards - ruined

APBTs - ruined

The list is endless if you know anything about the dog breed's history. One reason why when I get my next dog I am going to the country and buying a real version of the breed - not some market place cheap pawn-off.

A lot of dogs are either crated or left outside when people get them because the person is working an 8 hour job and couldn't be bothered. I concur, if you were locked in a 2 x 2 room for 8 hours a day without anything to entertain you would you not be going out of your mind? And all cause your "owner" wanted something pretty to trot about the neighborhood.

If you think crating is fine for your dog for extensive hours - kindly lock yourself in the bathroom and stay there all day. See how you feel afterwards.

I've never crated either of my dogs - nor my relatives' dogs have been crated - because if someone isn't at home then there's either a relative or a friend that can look after them for a while. And if not they've been trained to behave while unsupervised. Athena, uncle's African Mastiff, has never been crated despite been left 8 hours a day... she has the rule of the living room and is trained enough to behave [the neighbor let her out every few hours for potty]

Add to the fact that people are now getting into these "potty" grass .... sh*t ... for their apartments and houses cause they're too lazy to get off their lard ass and put the dog out.... and yeah. You don't have time for a dog, don't get one. It's not a bloody toy.

I got to laugh at the selective breeding. Yeah, it's a joke and it's pathetic.

Countless dog breeds have been ruined cause so called "breeders" haven't a clue what they're doing - GSDs for example, 1950s was when the standard started slipping and now you find roach / slope backs in almost every dog when they were supposed to be nearly the same as a Malniois if you read the original standard. The East European and the DDR is a PROPER GSD type not the mass produced F-variety found in most show rings or by "high quality" breeders. Been revised a bit to make leeway for cruddy breeding.

Or when something can be done to improve a breed - the high acidic urine of Dalmatians, the natural bobtail of Boxers - it's frowned upon by hard headed "pure blood" breeders that really should be locked in a cage themselves and forced to reproduce with their mother / father / sibling - see how they like the results of their own inbred offspring.

Then there's some breeds that are bred despite serious medical issues - I won't broach short snouted dogs but the Ridgeback. Africa has ridgeless dogs which are well favored in some areas. The ridge is spina bifida in all actuality and there's ridge breeders that will drown normal ridgeless pups. Those disgusting extreme and all other type "Bullies" - yeah it's real attractive [and intelligent] to have a dog that can barely move it's so fat, and yet they're bred for.

Illnesses & picking up after your dog. Yeah right. 70 - 80% of the people in my area wouldn't know a doggie bag was even if you threw a full one at them.

There's also the fact that people don't get their dogs vetted properly. I worked at a young teen at a local vet in a small town for the summer. The number of animals that came in overdue for their shots ... and this issue was only brought up by the vet while doing something else [neutering, treating paws, etc.]. A lot of the owners said next time - we're in a rush, no money, etc.

Dogs are a public threat - you're damned right they are. Maybe not the dogs themselves but the idiot owners make them dangerous. Very dangerous in some areas.

All Dog Bite Statistics

2001 - 2003 roughly 4,500,000 people were bitten back then, and it's probably the same now.

It's fine to blame creatures like sharks cause we can't cuddle a shark. A species who world wide between 1580 and 2013 have killed 2,881 people while dogs in the USA alone killed 238+ between 1979 and 1998.
FLMNH Ichthyology Department: World's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

If we rough estimated on that basis of 1979 to 1998 been about 12 deaths per year and times it by the time period [433 years] of shark attacks that would be 5,421 dog related deaths in the USA alone... almost twice as much as sharks worldwide and nearly five times as much responsible as sharks in the USA alone.

So yeah, I love dogs as much as the next person but I also look at cold hard facts. Anyone watch the video of Tara the cat and saving the child when a vicious dog [which apparently was the neighbor's] just this last week?

Add to the fact that not many people get the balls to pay up when their dog rips into you - without being sued that is or charged/threatened by the cops - and dogs are a potential public threat

Sorry if it's rantish but that author is excellent.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
:eyeroll:

And "no-kill" shelters turn away about 90% of animals that are turned in on their doorstep. They do, by majority, only accept the pretty, cute, and easy to adopt. Anything ugly, hard to control, or with a bad history is shuffled out the back door to a kill shelter so let's not say PETA is a monster. At least PETA is more open about what they do, no kills hide behind pretty venues.

As for the original post & blog

Far as I can tell she's a bit extreme but she is stating hard fact... something that most people [like 90% of people] would rather put their hands over their ears and scream lalala like a 5-year-old rather than hear.

If she is supporting exotics that's a problem but if you read her other articles it seems she is not. She is merely telling you information.

However, she raises some very good points. Most dog breeds nowadays are nothing but mockeries of what they were supposed to be

GSDs - ruined

Bulldogs - ruined

Irish Setters - ruined

BCs - eventual ruining due to this show aspect. 80 to 90% of BC owners back in the day NEVER wanted to join the AKC. Really only reason why the BC is part of the AKC is cause of a bunch of whiners that wanted show dogs instead of what the breed was supposed to be.

Saint Bernards - ruined

APBTs - ruined

The list is endless if you know anything about the dog breed's history. One reason why when I get my next dog I am going to the country and buying a real version of the breed - not some market place cheap pawn-off.

A lot of dogs are either crated or left outside when people get them because the person is working an 8 hour job and couldn't be bothered. I concur, if you were locked in a 2 x 2 room for 8 hours a day without anything to entertain you would you not be going out of your mind? And all cause your "owner" wanted something pretty to trot about the neighborhood.

If you think crating is fine for your dog for extensive hours - kindly lock yourself in the bathroom and stay there all day. See how you feel afterwards.

I've never crated either of my dogs - nor my relatives' dogs have been crated - because if someone isn't at home then there's either a relative or a friend that can look after them for a while. And if not they've been trained to behave while unsupervised. Athena, uncle's African Mastiff, has never been crated despite been left 8 hours a day... she has the rule of the living room and is trained enough to behave [the neighbor let her out every few hours for potty]

Add to the fact that people are now getting into these "potty" grass .... sh*t ... for their apartments and houses cause they're too lazy to get off their lard ass and put the dog out.... and yeah. You don't have time for a dog, don't get one. It's not a bloody toy.

I got to laugh at the selective breeding. Yeah, it's a joke and it's pathetic.

Countless dog breeds have been ruined cause so called "breeders" haven't a clue what they're doing - GSDs for example, 1950s was when the standard started slipping and now you find roach / slope backs in almost every dog when they were supposed to be nearly the same as a Malniois if you read the original standard. The East European and the DDR is a PROPER GSD type not the mass produced F-variety found in most show rings or by "high quality" breeders. Been revised a bit to make leeway for cruddy breeding.

Or when something can be done to improve a breed - the high acidic urine of Dalmatians, the natural bobtail of Boxers - it's frowned upon by hard headed "pure blood" breeders that really should be locked in a cage themselves and forced to reproduce with their mother / father / sibling - see how they like the results of their own inbred offspring.

Then there's some breeds that are bred despite serious medical issues - I won't broach short snouted dogs but the Ridgeback. Africa has ridgeless dogs which are well favored in some areas. The ridge is spina bifida in all actuality and there's ridge breeders that will drown normal ridgeless pups. Those disgusting extreme and all other type "Bullies" - yeah it's real attractive [and intelligent] to have a dog that can barely move it's so fat, and yet they're bred for.

Illnesses & picking up after your dog. Yeah right. 70 - 80% of the people in my area wouldn't know a doggie bag was even if you threw a full one at them.

There's also the fact that people don't get their dogs vetted properly. I worked at a young teen at a local vet in a small town for the summer. The number of animals that came in overdue for their shots ... and this issue was only brought up by the vet while doing something else [neutering, treating paws, etc.]. A lot of the owners said next time - we're in a rush, no money, etc.

Dogs are a public threat - you're damned right they are. Maybe not the dogs themselves but the idiot owners make them dangerous. Very dangerous in some areas.

All Dog Bite Statistics

2001 - 2003 roughly 4,500,000 people were bitten back then, and it's probably the same now.

It's fine to blame creatures like sharks cause we can't cuddle a shark. A species who world wide between 1580 and 2013 have killed 2,881 people while dogs in the USA alone killed 238+ between 1979 and 1998.
FLMNH Ichthyology Department: World's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

If we rough estimated on that basis of 1979 to 1998 been about 12 deaths per year and times it by the time period [433 years] of shark attacks that would be 5,421 dog related deaths in the USA alone... almost twice as much as sharks worldwide and nearly five times as much responsible as sharks in the USA alone.

So yeah, I love dogs as much as the next person but I also look at cold hard facts. Anyone watch the video of Tara the cat and saving the child when a vicious dog [which apparently was the neighbor's] just this last week?

Add to the fact that not many people get the balls to pay up when their dog rips into you - without being sued that is or charged/threatened by the cops - and dogs are a potential public threat

Sorry if it's rantish but that author is excellent.

Actually PETA flat out lied about what the fact that they killed nearly every pet that they got their hands on till someone blew the whistle on their butts https://www.google.com/#q=PETA+kills+animals. Now that the truth is out they can no longer misrepresent what they do. No kill shelters do turn away a lot of pets but it's not their fault, it's due to the fact that they have no room to take in any more pets. Please place the blame where it belongs, on the pet owners who get pets then treat them like they are disposable. No kill shelters do not misrepresent themselves they do not kill animals that are adoptable, and many do keep the ones that are slightly hard to adopt due to different medical problems. I can name more then one no kill shelter that has dogs or cats with medical problems up for adoption. PETA kills nearly every animal that is relinquished into their care.

Some dogs CANNOT, for their own safety, be left loose in a home when they are by themselves, not even for 10 minutes much less 8 hours, and training has nothing to do with it. Not everyone can get someone to come sit with the dog, or have the dog in their home, not everyone can afford to send the dog to doggy day care and not every dog is a good candidate for doggy day care. Crating is sometimes the best option, a properly exercised dog tends to sleep most of the day anyway, whether or not it's loose or in a crate, video evidence has proven that. So I can leave my dog loose to destroy my house and potentially harm himself, I can crate him with a nice Kong or chew and he'll sleep most of the day away, or I can give him to a shelter where he'll probably be put to sleep due to the separation anxiety, or I can give him away and he may be beat because of his problem or end up at the shelter and put to sleep anyway.

·
Registered
99 Posts
@Daemonus - You aren't ranting about anything new. In fact, mostly all you're doing is echoing the same sentiments many responsible dog owners share. Maybe I've completely missed the point of the article, but I'm curious as to why you didn't dedicate any of your post to, well.. stuff like this:

Stolen from your mother as a youngster, confined, controlled, surgically altered, and bored for hours on end. Imagine yourself as a "pet" dog.
"Bored for hours on end" certainly doesn't apply to every pet dog - we all know there are owners who give their dogs great life enrichment. However, do you "control" your dog? Was your dog stolen from it's mother as a youngster? Is your dog "surgically altered"/neutered/spayed?

Domestication is cruel
Many owners of dogs think that they love their “pets” and that they are members of their families, but the reality is that these animals are being denied their freedom that people mistakenly think they no longer desire because they have been “domesticated”.
Do you deny your dog freedom, as the author states? Do you keep your dog indoors? Chain them outdoors? Keep them on a leash? If you keep your dog in your home - "denying their freedom" - you are engaging in animal cruelty, as far as the author is concerned!

Dogs should be with members of their own species, free to make their own decisions.
Are your dogs with other members of their species, free to make their own decisions without your intervention?

So what is the "solution" the author puts forth?
If you must have a dog, please only adopt one, and try to give it as much freedom as possible in its confined and unnatural existence.
Okay, great! And now, how exactly should one keep an adopted dog, and give it "as much freedom as possible", whilst ensuring the health, safety and security of the dog (and of course other humans, animals and children), whilst also not engaging in ANY of the "cruel" nasty things the author was moaning about?

1. If you "cruelly" confine your dog to your home or a crate - to protect it from the outside world, mistreatment, eating things that could damage its health, capture, or attack - you are "restricting its freedom".

2. If you keep your dog on a leash - to prevent it from running into traffic or running into danger / the above mentioned. If you socialize your dog on your terms, rather than your dogs (again, to ensure the dogs don't attack / cause harm to one another) - you are giving it a "confusing, distressing and unnatural existence".

3. If you spay/neuter your dog/bitch to prevent the dog from doing the very thing the author so loathes (creating more domestic pet dogs), you are "mutilating the dog’s reproductive organs", and "Would you want your genitals severed in the name of human population control?"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts