Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new 8 week old puppy, mutt of some sort, looks very houndish, maybe lab in there who knows. Very sociable and energetic. I brought him home at 6 weeks and put him in the bathroom with paper down. The first time I let him loose in the house I (happily) noticed he ran back into the bathroom to pee on the paper. At first he was too small to go down the short set of stairs to go to the bathroom on the lawn. He is now able to go up and down the stairs no problem. Unfortunately, he has decided he doesn't LIKE going pee outside because the grass is often wet, and the stairs are still difficult. But even when I carry him out, which I do several times a day and ALWAYS after eating, he will usually try to get back inside and off the grass without peeing. He also has stopped peeing on the paper in the bathroom, although it is still there, and now just puddles all over the house. I give hime a TON of positive encouragement every time he pees outside, and give him plenty of chances. If I catch him peeing inside I grab him and bring him outside or to the paper in the bathroom. He has also started barking at me, nipping, and in general showing behavior like he is trying to be dominant. I am worried the new non-co-operation with house training is part of this, but do not know what I should do. HELP PLEASE!!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
So I have a new 8 week old puppy, mutt of some sort, looks very houndish, maybe lab in there who knows. Very sociable and energetic. I brought him home at 6 weeks and put him in the bathroom with paper down. The first time I let him loose in the house I (happily) noticed he ran back into the bathroom to pee on the paper. At first he was too small to go down the short set of stairs to go to the bathroom on the lawn. He is now able to go up and down the stairs no problem. Unfortunately, he has decided he doesn't LIKE going pee outside because the grass is often wet, and the stairs are still difficult. But even when I carry him out, which I do several times a day and ALWAYS after eating, he will usually try to get back inside and off the grass without peeing. He also has stopped peeing on the paper in the bathroom, although it is still there, and now just puddles all over the house. I give hime a TON of positive encouragement every time he pees outside, and give him plenty of chances. If I catch him peeing inside I grab him and bring him outside or to the paper in the bathroom. He has also started barking at me, nipping, and in general showing behavior like he is trying to be dominant. I am worried the new non-co-operation with house training is part of this, but do not know what I should do. HELP PLEASE!!!!
Read the sticky on potty training. Pour yourself a glass of wine. Your pup is EIGHT WEEKS OLD. this is like expecting a kid you put pull-ups on YESTERDAY to not wet the bed. EVER. It's going to be a little bit of a long process. He is a BABY. There is no such thing as a dominant puppy. This is what puppies do. You're in for a long journey with this puppy. You got him from his mom too early but that can't be fixed now. But pack your patience now because it doesn't get easier.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Read the sticky on potty training. Pour yourself a glass of wine. Your pup is EIGHT WEEKS OLD. this is like expecting a kid you put pull-ups on YESTERDAY to not wet the bed. EVER. It's going to be a little bit of a long process. He is a BABY. There is no such thing as a dominant puppy. This is what puppies do. You're in for a long journey with this puppy. You got him from his mom too early but that can't be fixed now. But pack your patience now because it doesn't get easier.
All of this ^

And buy some nature's miracle (enzymatic cleaner) in a scent you like. Your house will smell like it for the next few months :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congrats on your new puppy. As blakeandsam stated, your puppy is still so young. As long as you're consistent, your puppy will pick it up soon. Also, I would just pick one spot to take him to pee. If you take him to the bathroom with the paper one day, and out the door another day, it can easily confuse your puppy. Even if my pup peed at the right spot, she still had accidents growing up. It's bound to happen. She's at 9 months and sometimes, in rare cases, she might forget to pee at the correct spot. Just keep praising, using treats and be super excited when he goes in the correct spot.

As for nipping and barking, it's all very normal for your puppy. I would be worried if these things didn't happen. There are other stickies on how to teach your dog not to nip or bark. I've been successful with methods suggested in those stickies, but it takes time and patience. A lot of people don't realized puppies are a lot of work (including myself). I've had my pup for 7 months now, and while she drives me nuts on some days, I wouldn't trade her for anything. It does not get easier, but I think it does get better.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Here's the sticky thread that Blakeandsam was referring to http://www.dogforum.com/housetraining/house-training-how-tos-2135/

It sounds to me as if your pup has way to much freedom, what you should be doing is only allowing him to have freedom when you can watch him closely, and then only after he has pottied outside.

A few tips I can give on housetraining, besides what I have just wrote, is to reward him with a tasty treat as soon as his little bottom starts to rise after he's finished pottying.

He needs to be on a potty schedule at 8 weeks old you should be taking him out every hour or two (adjust once you figure out how often he needs to go) and once during the night unless your lucky and he's sleeping through the night at that age. As soon as he wakes up, and around 20 minutes after he's eaten or drank.

Do not scold him for accidents, that only teaches him to hide from you when he needs to potty and makes housetraining harder.

Remember he's a baby, when you got him he was the equivalent of a 1 year old human, now he's around the age of a 2 year old, doing that will help you have more patience with his mistakes and play style.

Ditch the idea of dominance, even if it was true have you ever known a 2 year old out to rule the world? Here's a sticky thread on it, reading it may help you http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/dominance-dogs-4076/

I'd also check out the threads in this forum http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/ it'll help you with training him.

Yep the nipping, jumping, and barking is puppy behavior. For getting him outside I'd work on a follow command, and use that to lead him, or you can practice having him let you pick him up calmly. If you need to know how to teach them just ask.

Good luck!

Good luck to you and your puppy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts