Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a three year old female Duck Tolling Retriever. She has been going to the same day care once a week for her whole life. She loves it.

The past month when I bring her she does not seem happy. She normally jumps out of the car and runs towards the door. The last few weeks she sits in the back seat and cries. Today I had to really work to get her out of the car. Once I get her in the door she seems ok and she runs in the back with the attendant. I am not sure what happened. They monitor the dogs during the day to intervene with any aggression. Anyone have ideas?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Whenever there is a sudden change of behavior, it may be a health issue and you should have that ruled out before looking deeper, such as a possible incident at the daycare. Take her to a vet and have her checked out.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I agree that it may be a health issue or injury.

Another thing- even the best managed, supervised daycares may have a fight from time to time- it's inevitable when you have groups of strange dogs together. It doesn't mean anyone got hurt or it wasn't broken up right away- but it still could have scared her. It's always a possibility when you put a bunch of dogs together in a yard/play space.

My other thought is if there have been any changes to her daily life (in or outside of daycare), the added stress might just make her more reluctant to leave you.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Something may have happened there at the daycare that they just don't want to tell you about. My middle son was working at a pet daycare and was horribly bit when trying to keep two dogs apart, but since neither dog was injured, I'm not sure they told the owners about the incident--But it could have had an effect on one or both just the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I picked her up yesterday she seemed fine. The staff said she was playful and normal. I saw the yard attendant and asked him if he knew of anything that could have happened He said no, she was her normal playful self. (Which of course he would say). Thinking about it I remember that there were landscapers in the yard of the day care. They were blowing leaves. She hates the sound of the leaf blower. Maybe it was the noise. I will have to check next week to see if the landscapers are there and this was the issue. Will keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts