Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I all I'm new here have some really great dogs. Healer Shepard mix, German Shepard, and My pitbull. All my dogs are super active the boys healer and pit bull are four and we just got our baby Shepard who is 9 months. So what food do I get my babies that won't break us completely. I want good food with everything they need for their active life

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I all I'm new here have some really great dogs. Healer Shepard mix, German Shepard, and My pitbull. All my dogs are super active the boys healer and pit bull are four and we just got our baby Shepard who is 9 months. So what food do I get my babies that won't break us completely. I want good food with everything they need for their active life
My personal choice for non bank breaking, high quality food is Taste of The wild, the prairie formula one can be found here. It's not the best of the best but for the price I don't think you can do much better. I've also heard that honest kitchen is a really good choice but im not familiar with their pricing and ingredients. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you I'll look into I'm using pro plan chicken right now and we are pooping a lot and it's like soft serve ice cream

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
The Honest Kitchen is great but it would be expensive to feed to 3 dogs.

I second TOTW. Wellness is on the same level. It's not the best (much better than Pedigree) and it's not super pricey. They make a grain inclusive and a grain free version. Earthborn is a really great food- not sure how the price point is though.

·
Registered
23 Posts

The soft serve poop could be attributed to over feeding. Obviously there are other reasons, that it could be as well, but we had that issue with our Pitbulls and cut back about a 1/4 cup each each time we fed them, taking us from 2.5 cups a day to 2 cups a day, a piece, and their poop firmed up really quickly.

As far as quality economical foods go, we were feeding Wellness to all 3 of our dogs (2 Pitties and a Tibetan Spaniel) and one of ours wasn't reacting well to it, our vet recommended switching to, of all things, Pure Balance grain free Bison. I was wary of it because it comes from Wal-Mart so at first I switched only the one dog to it, but then he did so well I slowly moved the other two. It gets 4.5 out of 5 stars on dog food advisor. Believe me, I was pleasantly shocked. Our youngest is not quite a year yet so we currently feed them the salmon because it's good for puppies, but both kinds have been awesome. I am now a reformed dog food snob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the help just a few more questions lol. My healer just eats when he wants so it's ok to feed him I'd say it's two cups but he'll take all day to eat it? And my Pitt recently started the same thing. Now that I have their bowls very separated. I'm just worried they aren't as healthy as they need to be.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The soft serve poop could be attributed to over feeding. Obviously there are other reasons, that it could be as well, but we had that issue with our Pitbulls and cut back about a 1/4 cup each each time we fed them, taking us from 2.5 cups a day to 2 cups a day, a piece, and their poop firmed up really quickly.

As far as quality economical foods go, we were feeding Wellness to all 3 of our dogs (2 Pitties and a Tibetan Spaniel) and one of ours wasn't reacting well to it, our vet recommended switching to, of all things, Pure Balance grain free Bison. I was wary of it because it comes from Wal-Mart so at first I switched only the one dog to it, but then he did so well I slowly moved the other two. It gets 4.5 out of 5 stars on dog food advisor. Believe me, I was pleasantly shocked. Our youngest is not quite a year yet so we currently feed them the salmon because it's good for puppies, but both kinds have been awesome. I am now a reformed dog food snob.
I looked up the pure balance you mentioned(never heard of it and was curious), it looks they rely heavily on peas for supplementing the protein content. Not a big fan of that at all. Filler proteins can be ok, but id rather feed animal based protein sources if given the option.

Thanks guys for all the help just a few more questions lol. My healer just eats when he wants so it's ok to feed him I'd say it's two cups but he'll take all day to eat it? And my Pitt recently started the same thing. Now that I have their bowls very separated. I'm just worried they aren't as healthy as they need to be.
Diesel, Bear and Roxy ages 4, 3 1/2 and 9 months
Good lookin crew ya got there :) I highly recommend not free feeding. Imo its too hard to keep track of and easy to overfeed. As long as your guys don't have any underlying health issues, I would recommend putting down there food for 10min, after that whatever they don't eat give to them at the next feeding. Once they catch on that they only have so long to eat, you shouldnt have any problems. Their hunger instinct will def take over.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sullyrules, that is completely understandable (for whatever reason it won't let me quote you), many do, and I was the same way for a long time, but my vet spent a while explaining the merits of Pure Balance as well as Rachael Ray Grain Free and I was swayed. If a dog has been on a very meaty rich food and switches over it could cause issues adjusting for a while. But with the OPs dogs being on Proplan, I would think the switch wouldn't be too bad. Our dogs are doing well on it but we do occasionally sneak veggies into their diets for a change of pace so they're both used to it and enjoy it. But Sullyrules is right, if you're looking for a food in which the protein comes almost entirely from meat those options might not be for you. I also agree with Sully on the free feeding. AND I can almost guarantee that's why they're pooping so much. If they're grazing all day then they're going to poop all day. Hope this helps! Also those are some cute pups!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts