Dog Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Fitz- 11 week old miniature pinscher male
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking with my sister today about something that I've considered before. Horses are generally bought trained for owner purposes, or bought untrained, trained, and sold. Why on earth hasn't that ever caught on for dogs? The average person doesn't exactly do a good job training a dog themselves! 🤣

·
Administrator
1,909 Posts
I was just talking with my sister today about something that I've considered before. Horses are generally bought trained for owner purposes, or bought untrained, trained, and sold. Why on earth hasn't that ever caught on for dogs? The average person doesn't exactly do a good job training a dog themselves! 🤣
Many want puppies, and puppies don’t come ready trained. Something those prospective dog owners who want a puppy often tend to forget.

Of course, by “prospective”, I’m talking about those who see a well trained dog on the street, or a celebrity with the latest fashion breed/designer cross, and don’t realise that it’s taken months or years of training to get the dog they saw on the street or with the latest celebrity to where it is now.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
There are breeders that sell trained dogs. Many breeders will start house training prior to puppies going home. London was raised with puppy culture by my friend who bred her litter. She never had an accident in the house when I brought her home. It is very time consuming but well worth it. I helped her when I could with the litter. Here is a demo of barrier training which is part of the culture training. Puppy culture barrier training. - Bing video

·
Registered
Bo
3 Posts
Your post first made me think - people don't do that because they want to raise the puppy and establish an incredible bond from a young age. Then I thought, if we consider this for dogs, then why we don't do this with kids?! 😂

Bird hunting dogs are often purchased at 2 years of age, after they're fully trained. My dad bought two dogs that way. They did take a little while to adjust to life in a new home but after a few months they were fully part of the family.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Pretty much whatever one else said,.plus imoulse control and money I think. People don't always necessarily want to to wait for that trained dog, which is also fairly often more expensive. Though impulse often triumphs.

Of course, by “prospective”, I’m talking about those who see a well trained dog on the street, or a celebrity with the latest fashion breed/designer cross, and don’t realise that it’s taken months or years of training to get the dog they saw on the street or with the latest celebrity to where it is now
Or that moment! :LOL: I was thinking about that ^ the other day on our walk. First passerby saw Pup at a sit and studiously ignoring a baby squirrel stopped in the middle of the sidewalk. The next set saw her hopping up.and down barking at it in the tree.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Some people do sell or rehome trained dogs, but it's mostly breeders of purebreds who have an older dog returned or who have a dog they kept and showed, maybe bred and who can't keep every generation of show/breeding dogs. There are groups who train dogs for specific purposes like service dogs who sell them, but you're talking very expensive because the training is very extensive.

When I did Rottweiler rescue I occasionally took in dogs with some training, housebroken, decent on a leash, and of course "sit.":)

·
Registered
2 Posts
People may not buy or sell trained dogs because of the many benefits that come with owning one. Owning a dog can provide companionship, exercise, and security for people of all ages. Dogs are also known to reduce stress and anxiety levels, as well as promote better mental health overall. Trained dogs can provide even more benefits to their owners, such as increased safety and security.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think one reason is that training a horse is considerably more dangerous than training a dog. You have to work pretty hard to get yourself killed or even seriously injured while training a puppy. In contrast, it's very easy to get badly injured by a horse. One of my horse friends is currently nursing a broken foot (got stepped on,) and another is nursing broken ribs (got run over by a frightened horse when a neighbor set off fireworks while she was in the middle of evening feed.)

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The bond between a horse and their owner is just as strong or stronger than between dogs and their owners.
I've also had extremely strong bonds with various cats over the years. And I've lived and had amazing dogs that I've been very strongly bonded with as well.
You can't compare the bonds people have with each animal. It's like asking people to choose between their kids.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Unless you've trained dogs yourself, you probably have a poor understanding of how to keep, maintain, and use a trained dog. The user requires education, too, and it may not be easy for some people to learn to use a trained dog. So it seems to me that's another reason why the market for trained dogs isn't so good -- there will be a lot of complaints because of "user error."

·
Banned
22 Posts

I think because you can easily buy a grown dog that is already trained. For example my co-worker bought all 4 of his dogs as grown dogs off either craiglist or the humane society. Each for like $100 or less. He got his German Shepherd 2 years old for free off of craiglist. All his dogs came previously trained or had some previous training.

My 1 year old pitbull i just bought from our local human society for $100 yesterday came previously trained. Our local humane society does a great job training the dogs they rescue. He already comes house broken. He is already people & pet friendly, the humane society trained him to be that way. A very muscular 75 lb 1 year old pitbull, but he is gentle giant. He came home to his new home all friendly to my wife and I kisses & all. We had family members come over and see the pitbull we adopted and the doberman I also got that morning from a breeder. Pitbull very friendly with family members and doesn't seem to show any aggression yet to our doberman puppy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts