Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to the forums. I have two dogs: a 6 yr old male newfoundland and a 2 yr old female border collie mix. Both dogs are fixed. The lady I got my border collie mix from told me she was a border collie golden retriever but I don't know. I see collie in her face but not sure about retriever.

Anyway, my collie mix, Cleo, has such a weird behavior that doesn't bother me but I wonder if anyone else's dog does it. She is very human face oriented and visual. She watches us and will make friendly eye contact and if you look back at her, she'll wag her tail and approach for pets, etc. She is pretty submissive but intolerant of abuse (no toddlers, she also likes to herd small children). She does not love men, she gets super humble or barks at them. She does not like strangers interacting with her- the eye contact and bending over her sets her to barking at them.

However... the other day my husband came into the room (she loves him and isn't scared of him) and he was wearing eye goggles to work in the yard. She followed him around, barking at him like she didn't know him. Then he stopped at looked at her and called her over. She stopped barking and sniffed his hand, then growled and slunk over to hide near me. She did this once when he wore a winter hat inside. She wouldn't approach him and when she finally did she got all submissive and peed everywhere.

Just now my daughter walked into the room carrying a bowl of soup. She was walking slowly and watching the bowl so it wouldn't spill. Cleo was sleeping under the table and she just started watching my daughter and growling at her. This is her "growl before I bark at you". I don't feel like she is going to attack anyone.

It's like she super reacts to people- namely her family- acting or looking out of the ordinary. I socialized her to lots of things. So I don't think it's lack of socialization. I can't tell if she genuinely doesn't recognize us or she's kind of saying "Hey, why do you look weird?" If it's related, she used to get really reactive to toddlers or small children being tantrumy or yelling or running around. She would follow them closely and watch them intently. If they got too screamy or wild she would bark or nip their legs. We trained that out of her but she's so visual!

Anyone else's dog do this? Any idea why she reacts like this? I'm really just curious. She is my definite companion and a much loved one at that.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Dogs see the parts, not the whole, like humans do. So when you see a person with goggles on, or walking funny and carrying soup, you immediately see the whole and know what's going on. Your dog, on the other hand, sees the goggles and the walking funny and can't connect it to the whole, so to him it's scary and weird and should be made to go away.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
However... the other day my husband came into the room (she loves him and isn't scared of him) and he was wearing eye goggles to work in the yard. She followed him around, barking at him like she didn't know him. Then he stopped at looked at her and called her over. She stopped barking and sniffed his hand, then growled and slunk over to hide near me. She did this once when he wore a winter hat inside. She wouldn't approach him and when she finally did she got all submissive and peed everywhere.

Its because she could not see his eyes. Its very important that dogs be able to see your eyes so she can read you. When you block the eyes with a hat or goggles its confuses her and makes her nervous. Mine is very much like this. We had new windows installed and when one of the guys wore a hoodie or hat she would bark and move away from him but if he took it off she was friendly with him.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Asha does not trust men with things obscuring their face, things like hats and sunglasses can set her off, just loud continuous barking until the person takes them off or she works out they mean no harm, which can take a while. Asha also doesn't trust men so when men carry things, like a box in their hands, this will also set her off. It only rarely happens with women, but she just has this distrust of men.

My Mum tells me that the dog I grew up with, Jess would also bark and avoid people wearing sunglasses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. Thanks! I guess what made it weird to me was that I have never had a dog that is like this. My newfie doesn't do this. Nor the other dogs I have ever owned. She is just hyper observant compared to them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts