Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old pit puppy. I trained him to put his nose into the muzzle on his own and hes fine with it. I slowly introduced the hanging around the neck and he was fine. Eventually he was putting his nose into the muzzle on his own and letting me clip it around his head and i would leave it for a good 20 seconds and reward. I would never say no if he messed up, just simply pull away the muzzle. Now if i say muzzle and he willingly puts it on and lets me clip it, but problem is after alittle while he will start to pull it off with his paws (i try and distract him with other commands and treats but eventually it wears off) and ive been doing this for a few days. So i simply take off the muzzle then wait 30 seconds and reward him. He doesnt want it on for longer than 30 seconds any tips?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would take it off and give him a treat BEFORE he tries to paw it off. Build his tolerance that way so he knows that leaving it alone means treats and doesn't accidentally learn that pawing at it will make you take it off. If you know 30 seconds bothers him, start at 15.
I would also give him the obedience commands before he gets frustrated. I think the distraction will work better if he's not already irritated with the muzzle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts