Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a Chihuahua Terrier mix, and he’s a little over a year old. Very sporadically he will get extremely tired, very wobbly on his feet, shaky, and gets really jumpy. All of this sounds like the effects marijuana would have. And that’s what we thought it might have been the first time and the vet did as well. Now we are extremely careful with that stuff, and I know for a fact that there is no possible way for him to have gotten ahold of it that many times. Since we have had him (just shy of a year) he has gotten like this maybe 6-8 times. And sometimes it’s worse than others, sometimes he just gets really tired and wobbly, but then other times he is completely messed up and out of it. One of the times he got so bad, I’m not sure if it was seizures or if he was just convulsing really bad.

Every time this happens my heart rips to pieces because I just don’t know what to do. (The vet obviously but right this very moment that’s a tough thing to do) I always make sure to keep him hydrated with water and pedialite and I try and make him as comfortable as I can.

I guess I’m just looking for some suggestions and knowledge of what it could possibly be from, so I have a few starting points. And so I can maybe bring some things up to the vet when I can get him there. I also should mention I live in a real woodsy area and I’m nervous maybe a tick got him, but it doesn’t seem like lymes. :(

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
Has your vet done any tests for kidney function or Addison's ? Is your dog vaccinated? Could he be eating anything outside?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has your vet done any tests for kidney function or Addison's ? Is your dog vaccinated? Could he be eating anything outside?
He had his first round of shots. And it could be something outside because his favorite thing to do is sniff around everywhere and sometimes I’ve had to try and stop him from eating whatever out of the grass. I was just assuming it was bugs. And he will sniff and then lick leaves and stuff on walks.
I’m just confused on where to even start. I will have to ask my vet about the kidney tests and stuff. It’s just hard to find the funds to get him there. :(

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ask your Vet if he or she thinks something neurological is going on. If so you probably need to get him to a neurologist.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It does sound like seizures. Maybe not grand mal, but if you read up on that which I have done a million times, there are different types. It is heartbreaking to see them go through that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts