Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have been searching Google for a possible answer and to no avail. I have a 6 yr old female Lhasa Apso. She and I go for frequent walks (5-6 times a week) always on the same route. When she was a puppy a big brown dog came up and tried to attack her, ended up biting her tail. She doesn't seem to have any trauma. Now,occasionally it has occurred that when she and I go on walks other dogs will always lunge at her or try and get at her. She is very friendly and most of the time she ends up ignoring them and keeps on walking. If she comes across other dogs she will sniff them, say hello, wag her tail and keep going. More often than not though dogs will try and lunge and her from across the street even. This happens very often and more than I would like. Today right in front of our house I spotted a couple walking their two dogs. I noticed that one of the dogs kept looking back at her and kept lunging at her from half a block away. To avoid trouble I crossed the street early and with a great amount of distance, the other dog managed to get loose and tried to get my dog. I had to scoop my dog up and ended up getting scratches on my leg from the other dog. This is not the first occasion and has occurred with various other dogs. So what gives?? Is there anything I can do?

*Sorry for the long post it has just been a persistent problem is all*

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
They could just not get along, but it sounds more like other owners need to behave better :( I'm not sure what I can do to help, Koda has been getting some similar reactions from specific dogs (more aggression but less dogs doing so) so I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's elements of her body language & how she responds to the other dogs. You tend to see that more with smaller breeds, though I've seen a few large pits (and a Dobie) who prompt the same reaction. Of course the confidence & social manners of the other dogs will play a part. While your reactions may slightly add to this, they're likely only a small part. Somebody very familiar with dog body language could likely point out to you what she's doing.

I've seen a few like this at the dog park, where we either have to nab the dogs with bad manners or if many are there the people have to leave. The only thing that may improve this is to help her confidence & social skills.

I've checked some local dog parks so I know who's there when & how they behave. You may also find some times where primarily small dogs are there. Alternately, make some play dates with some well mannered dogs. I've taken many scared dogs to the dog park where it may take 6-12 visits before they become comfortable. Still, that's maybe faster than for us humans...

There are other activities that will help her general confidence, but only other dogs can improve her social skills. That doesn't mean she has to play with them, but has to become comfortable with & respond appropriately to their behavior. You'd see some of this in her behavior, but much more in how the other dog reacts to her presence.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so the issue is with my dog? Is it that she ignores other dogs that is causing the problem? Please explain because I don't really understand. Not to humanize the problem but when walking down the street most people ignore strangers and don't greet them. Most strangers don't lunge at people for ignoring them when they see someone across the street? And she hasn't had problems with other friendly dogs she encounters. I'm sure you understand that I am apprehensive when it comes to the idea of letting strange dogs near her especially when she has had many negative encounters. ..
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok so the issue is with my dog? Is it that she ignores other dogs that is causing the problem?
Only part of it is with your dog. It's not ignoring other dogs, but exactly how that's done. The same applies with people, with cultural variations. In Boston strangers may avoid eye contact, but in rural areas in Utah they may wave & say hello even if they've never seen you before. No, people don't lunge (unless driving in Boston, maybe) but there are similarities. I could speculate, but there are several reasons why this may be happening.

But first add some perspective here. How many of the other dogs seem nasty to her? If it's 1/10, ignore them. But if 10/1, you might want to change something. And dogs are social animals, but still vary in their likes. Does your dog want to meet others, or stick to her person? Does this issue bother your dog also, or just you? Does your dog actually play (not just sniff) with any other dogs?

She may not have the social skills as she's lacking the experience, or she may not care. Some dogs are very selective and may not want to change. Nothing necessarily wrong there.

As to letting strange dogs near her, we don't lock our kids up from a bad experience, & with our dogs we can have much more control on who they meet. At dog parks I can watch first & see if the dogs (and people, of course) have good manners. You could also start with some of the friendly dogs you've mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts