Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our 11 week old puppy two weeks ago now and obviously in that time we've had lots of sessions spent with him training and bonding. My boyfriend and I own the dog but are currently living with his family so he sees a fair few people. However, we are the only two people who get him out, play with him and train him. So obviously he has a stronger bond with us. But over the last few days I have been incredibly teary because I love Flint so so much I and I feel like he doesn't even like me. I don't get half the reaction my boyfriend gets and when he sees other members of the family he goes nuts. But with me it's a small tail wag and he walks off, or a playful snap in the face. Whereas he really goes mental for Alex and it's obvious he loves him. I do everything the same as him and the puppy and I are left alone from 5pm onwards as Alex works night shifts. I just don't understand it. I'm so distressed. Every time I try so hard to do everything he loves to try and get the bond to develop but I feel it's totally one way and it's making being his sole care giver for X amount of hours each day very hard. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do? :(

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
We picked up our 11 week old puppy two weeks ago now and obviously in that time we've had lots of sessions spent with him training and bonding. My boyfriend and I own the dog but are currently living with his family so he sees a fair few people. However, we are the only two people who get him out, play with him and train him. So obviously he has a stronger bond with us. But over the last few days I have been incredibly teary because I love Flint so so much I and I feel like he doesn't even like me. I don't get half the reaction my boyfriend gets and when he sees other members of the family he goes nuts. But with me it's a small tail wag and he walks off, or a playful snap in the face. Whereas he really goes mental for Alex and it's obvious he loves him. I do everything the same as him and the puppy and I are left alone from 5pm onwards as Alex works night shifts. I just don't understand it. I'm so distressed. Every time I try so hard to do everything he loves to try and get the bond to develop but I feel it's totally one way and it's making being his sole care giver for X amount of hours each day very hard. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do? :(
I remember as a young mother when I would get a quick peck on the cheek and my sons would be off to play with their friends.
Often kids and dogs do not always display a lot of gushing affection for those they love most. But the bond is there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Most likely, it's that you aren't "exciting" because you're around him all the time. I'm at home with my girl everyday while my husband goes to work. He gets greeted by a wriggly happy dog every evening. If I go out to the store, or run errands and come back..meh, not much reaction.

However if I go away for a few days and return, she goes NUTS when I return. It reminds me that she is very closely bonded to me, but in the daily routine me being around isn't exciting because I'm ALWAYS around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies! They both make a lot of sense. I think emotions are running high and we are still adjusting to life with a new puppy. You may be right as I do spend the most time with him, he might have been desensitised to my presence. I'm away from home for a few days now so we will see what his reaction is like when I get back :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with the idea that perhaps you are less exciting because you are always there.

I have a puppy too, and when my boyfriend comes home it's PARTY TIME! He solicits cuddles and only wants to be with him, not me. But then, I started going out of the house more, and I noticed him doing exactly the same when I had been gone for a while! For my puppy at least, it was basically an "I'm so happy you're back!" response, and had nothing to do with liking my boyfriend more.

However, if you are concerned the puppy is drawn more to your boyfriend than to you, try being the one to feed him his meals. You can even handfeed the meals to make the impact of the bonding experience even stronger!

Oh and I'm also wondering, it's been a few days since your last post. Is it going better? Or are you feeling better about it all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes thank you things are going a lot better! As he is getting older his bond is settling between myself and my boyfriend and I've come to realise he just appreciates me in a different way. I started feeding him from the hand a few times and now that I have a little more respect from him in terms of training he seems to like me a lot more. I think I may have been giving off an uncertain vibe he was sensing. Now that I'm confident of my place in his life he is really blossoming :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
That is so good to hear! Dogs are definitely very sensitive to our vibes. It is crucial for them to understand us and our body language. Just think about all the things we ask from a dog in training, and also in becoming less dog-like in aspects like barking and biting to fit in with us better! I think this is why dogs seem to have a sixth sense sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts