Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just a venting post. I know its super long, I'm just angry :mad:

I just got back from vacation to watch my little sister graduate from UNLV with a degree in nutrition (YAY) :) and while I was there I got to catch up with a bunch of my friends that I have not seen in a while.

A new law past in Las Vegas back in January requiring pet stores to only have dogs and cats from animal shelters. So one night while I was out to dinner with my sister and a few of our childhood friends the restaurant we were at was by a very popular pet store so I suggested to everyone we should stop in and see if they have shelter animals there yet or not.

When my sister was in highschool she actually worked at this pet store and quit after about a week due to watching the employees lying saying the dogs are not from puppy mills, they are from hand chosen breeders, very healthy and pretty much saying what ever it took to make a sale. She said the average employee sold about 5 puppies a day! :eek:

Anyways, I guess they have two years to start with shelter animals so obviously these money hungry people will wait until the last minute and not stop selling purebred puppy mill dogs until its necessary and there were no shelter animals in the store. So I just wanted to leave, but one of my friends saw a kitten that caught her eye so everyone else was just walking around the store while she was playing with it.

When she was ready to leave, out of curiosity I asked how much this adorable ragdoll mix kitten was.... the response.... $2,000!!!!!!! :eek: I almost fell to the floor!!! I could not believe it! The rest of the night all of us were talking about how insane it is, how horribly bred the animals there are, and who buys those animals at that price?!

We have had a lot of personal experience with this particular Petland over the years.
My parents got a dog there years ago before we knew how horrible pet stores were. The dog had allergies and skin issues their whole life and died very young at 8 from cancer.

Friends dog from there had SERIOUS aggression issues despite adequate socialization and many training classes from puppyhood. She now lives at her house and never leaves due to the fear her owners have of her biting someone.

Neighbors dog got diagnosed with parvo 2 days after they brought him home and spent the first few months of the time they had him living at the vets with thousands of dollars spent to save his life.

My cousins dog ended up with HD that was so severe he was put down at 4.

We discussed all of this that night with my friends and despite everyones horror stories, two days later one of the girls there that night sent a group text to everyone of her holding the adorable ragdoll mix kitten and a German Shepherd puppy saying "look who is coming home with me tonight" We all thought she was joking. NOPE! She spent $2,000 on the kitten and $3,600 on the German Shepherd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She was not even in the market for a pet!!!! I pretty much yelled at her saying do not buy that dog with no genetic testing and all she said was "oh, don't be a downer" I was so mad that she did not learn from my families experience, but I still wanted to meet the pets so later that night I went to her tiny second floor apartment to meet her new fur babies.

The puppy had diarrhea 3 times in the 15 minutes I was there and while I was playing with him I noticed a golf ball sized lump on the inside of his leg and told my friend she should take him to the vet. She was just like "oh weird I didn't even notice that, I'll take him in a few days" I was just stunned that she spent $3,600 on a puppy and didn't even look him over nose to tail and did not even seem concerned that an 8 week old puppy had a big lump on him.

The puppy is technically her boyfriend's but they live together and he is out of town 4 days a week for work. But their reasoning is that they want their pets to grow old together. I am just baffled at the stupidity of people and I always was confused as to how pet stores are still in business when a lot of people know the truth behind them now, but now I see even people well educated on the issues can still be blinded but the cuteness of baby animals. Crazy.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Simple: Because it's easy and because people just don't care.

Seriously, unless you go to a pound you're going to have to fill out paperwork at the very minimum for a rescue pet. Why do that when you can impulse buy, and the only requirement is that you have the cash?

I have had three "puppy mill" dogs. One my family purchased from a pet store (now thankfully out of business) when I was 8. I swear, he was my heart dog. Of course, he came home with parvo and died a couple of years ago - at 14, thankfully - from kidney failure but he was a really, really good dog.

The other two were rescues. One actually was from a puppy mill and was fairly reactive. At the time, I thought it was bad reactivity but it is peanuts compared to my dog today. She passed away when she slipped the door and immediately ran to the road.

My current dog, Chisum, came from a woman who was hoarding dogs and breeding/selling them as well. So kind of a mill, but a much less functional one. The dogs were seized by animal control and eventually pulled into rescue. Every single one had massive fear issues. My dog, despite being brought home at 8 weeks and having many lovely qualities, has major anxiety as well as extreme fear reactivity. He's never bitten, but loses control mentally and sometimes physically as well (he will mess himself). We are trying medication and have tried behavior mod and are continuing to, but I think it's very lucky that my parents own a farm where he doesn't have to see strange things regularly...and this may always have to be his home, even when I finish my degree and move away in a year.

I hate people that perpetuate this, I really do. Sometimes people get lucky. But think of all the dogs who suffer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Preach it!!

I sometimes go in just to play with the puppies when I have free time. I sent my ex-friend a picture of me and an adorable little german shepherd puppy. He said he was going to buy her. I said, NO!! and listed all the reasons why. I kid you not, the next day he sends me a picture of her in his car -.- He also wasn't looking for a dog, and he honestly shouldn't have had one. He was a good owner for about 2 months, and then lost interest, and now she's a terror. The poor thing had so much potential.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Because they work on a person's sensibility by flooding them with sad puppy/kitten faces and sob stories. That's how they make a killing selling them. It's impulse buying at it's greatest. Who can say no to a puppy? I know I have a hard time, though my common sense stops me from acting on it. People also like purchasing from pet stores because they get immediate gratification. I want that dog, I bought the dog, it's mine. Rescues and breeders are much more difficult because you must pass a screen (which seems personal) and possibly wait for a suitable match. Forget about if you get denied by a breeder or rescue.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Oh my god, a former fb friend of mine posted a picture once of puppies at petland and said "someone come adopt these little angels so they'll have homes for Christmas!" People honestly think they're "rescuing" pet store animals.

But I can't think of any logical reason to buy a puppy from a pet store. If you want a well bred, healthy representation of the breed, you go to a reputable breeder and still pay less ($500-$2000) than a puppy mill puppy!

If you don't care about genetic quality you could adopt a dog or puppy from a shelter or rescue and actually be rescuing it for a MUCH cheaper price ($50- $500). You could get something on par with puppy mill quality, or you could get something that's healthier, you don't really know, but it's not like you're going to get something worse.

Lastly, if you want a poorly bred purebred or designer mix puppy and don't want to have to deal with things like interviews, applications, contracts, etc, you could go to a backyard breeder and get a dog similar to a puppy mill dog. The advantage would be a much cheaper price (usually $100- $800) and at least the parent dogs are likely to be someone's pets and not be rotting in a tiny cage in a dog factory.

I can't think of any benefits to buying an unethically poorly bred puppy for a ridiculous price. Just in terms of logic. I mean, $3600 for a poorly bred shepherd. That's a horrible life decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts