Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so tired of people not realizing trust is a two-way street with their animals, but dogs in paticullar. I see all the time dog owners tighten their grip on the leash, pull away basically sending their dogs every signal that a threat is approaching. This is not cool. I understand that every situation is different and must be evaluated. I have a pack of 4. Three are very large, (btw I'm a cripple on atleast one crutch all the time) yet I can walk all the big ones and throw another large one that is untrained in the mix and still maintain control because trusting my pack is key. When another dog approaches your doggie baby or pack, how ever you define it, the approaching dog will act accordinly if your dogs trust you. I have disarmed more doggie owner even at petstores by telling them to relax. Your dog is a social animal, lower your guard and the animal won't feel the need to lunge but instead greet, maybe play, move on. BTW dog training that is successful is really a human liguistic in understanding dog language and speaking it fluently.

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
I think that also applies to not putting our dogs into situations they find too stressful, or removing them from these situations if necessary. There are certain types of dog (broad chested breeds) that make my dog nervous. It's to do with canine body language, broad fronted dogs look like they are directly facing up to him. Anyway, I can spot that 'type' from a distance so we can increase his flight distance and there is no drama. He trusts me to avoid things that will stack up his stress triggers, I trust him to focus on me and look to me for cues when we are out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly learning thier language. That is a beautiful bond you have. You dog trusts you to help him avoid stress. My point above, is if owners will just chill, and these stressed out situations won't occur. Either they'll understand their dog says okay let meet and or mom I'm not to sure about who is coming let's go around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts