Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What qualities does your dog have that you love? Do certain breeds have traits that you seek?

I love the Dachshund breed and have never been disappointed. They have all of the qualities that I look for and expect a dog to have. Great sense of smell. Hunter. Killer (sharing genes with the most efficient daylight killer the wolf). Would defend the Alpha to the death. Affectionate. Loyal. Considerate (really). A few of those traits I might be leery of in a big dog. But being only 20 pounds, I can train them with total confidence and they are willing to please.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't want a hunter or killer anything in my dogs. I don't want to see them act aggressively towards small animals, or people...and I don't want any lawsuits that could come from that. Even the little ankle biters can draw blood.

I've had small dogs before, and they are cute and sweet, but I'm more inclined to have a bigger dog now days.

I like a low energy dog, that is very very gentle. I don't need a guard dog. The person breaking into my house might wish they had one...because I can guard myself quite nicely...and don't need my pets to do it for me. Although I don't mind if they bark or give me some notice that something is going on with the door or window that I should know about. : )

I like dogs that have some hair on them..so no hairless dogs, or smooth hair dogs...I like fluffy - and I'm also not that attracted to solid colored dogs, I like dogs that have some variation of color in their coats...so no solid black or white coloring. : )

I like them kind of tall - so bigger than 30 pounds. I have a bad back so bending over to pet a dog isn't all that great... I also don't really want a lap dog...as my leg is messed up too. I have 2 cats that already lay claim to my lap...so a dog too?...nope...don't want that.

I sleep in a recliner, and the cats take turns - one gets one night and the other gets the next night to lay on my lap or down around my knees or ankles.
They don't like to sleep next to each other so I rarely have to deal with both of them at once...but sometimes, I've woke up and found both of them curled up on me. Usually one is between my ankles and the other one up on my lap or chest. I reserve some nights to be cat free and won't let either of them crawl onto my legs before I go to sleep : )

Another reason why I like bigger dogs, is that I live out in the country, and I can let them out and not worry about an eagle, hawk, or owl packing them off...and they have a good chance of surviving if a they tangle with a coyote or raccoon or even a deer that could get into the yard.

Stormy

Reactions: Carl484a

·
Registered
502 Posts
I picked my dogs because I saw them and couldn't say no haha. Generally i tend towards hounds and smaller dogs, but I'm not picky. To me personality has nothing to do with the breed and everything to do with the individual dog. All of my dogs are mixed breeds, and I like how unique they are.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I don't want a hunter or killer anything in my dogs. I don't want to see them act aggressively towards small animals, or people...and I don't want any lawsuits that could come from that. Even the little ankle biters can draw blood.
I don't necessarily think that a dog who is a "killer" of small animals is aggressive to people. I had one dog who was a very efficient hunter and killer of small animals and even birds, but she was the most gentle creature ever with other dogs and children. She was just...a hunting dog, a carnivore.

As for my dog, I chose Stella or rather chose to not give her back after the foster period because she loved everyone--people and dogs, is smart and easy to train, very affectionate, beautiful, playful, and well, she came into my life at the perfect time. I'm grateful for my Stella every day. <3

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Shadow was a terrier mix but when I got him as a puppy I had no idea that's what he'd turn out to be. I was attracted to his fluffiness and personality. He was independent even as a pup, he turned out to be a pretty good ratter and rid the backyard of 3 rats (I wish I had known about barn hunt back then!). Willing to please, yep he was so long as it was pleasing himself or pleasing me coincided with what he wanted. He was affectionate in his own way, but was never one to want to hold still for petting. He was funny as could be, and had such a joy of living, he was always up for any adventure.

Jersey was a Chow Chow x herding dog x who knows what mix, she needed a home, because her old owner didn't want her anymore and would of probably just dumped her somewhere. I had become friends with her and said I'd take her, fully planning to get her healthy, spayed, and rehome her, but it turned out my home was her new home. She was such a sweet and loving dog. She was totally gentle, unless you were a squirrel or rabbit then it was time for the chase. She was very smart and totally loyal.

Zody is a Chi x Dach. I did not set out to own such a mix, and truly am more attracted to fluffier dogs. Shadow had passed away 6 months before I got Zody and Jersey had passed away nearly 2 years earlier, I was dogless and my friend decided that I needed one. She had Zody but was planning to travel and didn't want to keep leaving him alone, with friends, or boarding him, so she asked if I would like him and I said yes with a bit less then enthusiasm. We had a bit of a rocky start but he's the love of my life now. He's a mess of contradictions, he's loving, and friendly but only if he knows the person, if he doesn't he's mean and unfriendly. He's brave and loves to explore outside, but he's fearful of people, large dogs, and strange buildings. He's totally cool with the noise of hammering, loud trucks, and the college bands drums, but terrified of thunder, fireworks, gunfire, and the vacuum. The list goes on.... He's extremely loyal and that's part of the reason we had such a rocky start, he was fully prepared to wait forever for my friend to come back for him totally loyal to her, thankfully he's finally opened his heart up to me also and detached some from her. He's extremely intelligent and learns words very fast. If he decides he loves you, it's forever.

Reactions: crazy and Carl484a

·
Registered
669 Posts
I chose Quenya because A. I knew I wanted a dog that truly needed a home, so I never even looked at breeders. B. Most importantly I wanted a social, friendly dog. I had just gotten out a bad situation with a dog that had serious emotional and mental problems. I wanted a stable dog, grown up so the temperament was certain and athletic enough to hike and play fun sports.
I got a dog that is so absolutely incredible I truly feel she was sent as a blessing into my life. I never even knew dogs could be as amazing as Quenya.

Skipper I chose because he was on my top 3 want-to-own list and Rat Terriers ended up being the most practical, economical choice. It was between ratties and cattle dogs and I decided I wanted something small and, well, "transportable". I take my dogs out together a lot and I didn't want two larger dogs hauling after a squirrel that ran across our path at the same time while on lead. In theory Rat Terriers are athletic, bold, trainable dogs.

I chose Skipper specifically because he was the most balanced pup in the litter. He played with me for a while and then fell asleep on my lap. The other puppies either wandered away after playing or wouldn't play as long as I wanted to. He's a great dog but is still in his "I'm going to be super independent and what I want to do is everything that isn't what you're asking me" adolescent mode a lot of the time so I'm not making any solid determinations about his temperament until I feel like his wild-oats period is ended in about another year.

Tory was literally pretty much dumped in my lap--but I love her for her undying loyalty, optimism and pug spazz-attacks!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I don't necessarily think that a dog who is a "killer" of small animals is aggressive to people....
I know that. I just don't want either kind or a combo of those traits in one of my dogs.....lol - it's bad enough when I have to take a still live but badly mutilated mouse away from one of my cats.

I don't want to see my pets killing birds, squirrels, wild bunnies, cats or small dogs...etc. I also don't want to see my dogs showing any sign of aggression towards people - this includes me in the case of resource guarding of food or toys.

Fortunately, all the dogs I have adopted I've been happy with, as I asked a ton of questions about them before adopting. However, I have seen both Jaya and a prior dog I had named Lacey, snap at and kill a bird. With each dog it was a case of them trotting through the yard and the bird suddenly flying up from under their feet - it wasn't so much a prey drive thing, but more of a startled reaction to something suddenly in their face. Both dogs dropped the bird almost immediately, didn't try to eat it or anything.
So other than that, I've never seen any of my dogs go after a small animal, and that suits me just fine :thumbsup:

Stormy

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Rocky was a mini fox terrier i didnt choose him i resented him at first actually mum and brother bought him home but i saw this shaking tiny dog looking so scared then he was the one to get me out my bedroom to the point my parents celebrated and we bonded and i toilet trained him in no time and walked him lots.

Charlie my chocolate labrador he will be 11 in few months time! one day my sister came home from the pet shop animates saying how this georgeous labrador took a S*** and stunk out the shop everyone got out. This intruiged me and next day parents took me to see him. He was ten weeks old and the most adorable puppy i had seen! we took to each other instantly he kept licking me as if to say i will help you stop self harming be very loyal and forivging nad more to you. He was so easy to train he passed CGC foundation and bronze in a year and on the same day! he was easy to train but loved pulling the females my mum and i flat face down or bottom down on concrete on walks! yet at training he was an angel! he was really easy to train in all other areas otherwise! perfect! he is the most loyal labrador i have known, so forgiving despite the amount of times ive tried to take my life, when im unwell he will get on the bed despite his bad arthritis and i dont ask him on the bed he wants to go on it and takes care of me. He is always there for me and always has been. Even when mental health and social workers came to see me at home in the past both charlie and rocky would sit next to me guarding me. If i had a seizure he would stay by my side and not leave me alone. Yet in the new year ive to leave him behind with my brother while i move back to uk without him :(

Jessie i saw her photo on the site of the pet shop to see if any fox terriers and i saw this fluffy little puppy. i walked in the shop and spotted her so tiny( tinier then rocky who was 20cm and she was 14cm tall!) i held her and we clicked just like charlie and i did. she wouldnt stop licking me and i loved the feel of all that hair. i tried holding a fox terrier x and hated it was like a cat so held her again and i knew it was the one for me especially when i said do you want to come home with me? she licked my face non stop :) Jessie is the most wonderful little shih tzu x i could ask for so chilled out at home, fantastic nurse to me and patient, and despite many rough times with her health and mine and her teenage rebellion to the point i considered rehoming her she is the best loving, happy little dog and everything i wanted in a puppy and little dog! she keeps me going and since i got her i havent over dosed once. Charlie did help me stop self harming but was a long road took a few years to fully stop. both are very precious to me but i cant live without Jessie at all and i will be deveasted to leave charlie as i want to be there at the end of his life but wont be and feel guilty

·
Registered
151 Posts
I never pick my animals, they've all picked me/my family over the years. Our current fur baby, Roscoe, made the love connection with his dad the day we were at the shelter. As soon as Will told me their eyes connected and he got "the look", the decision was made! lol Usually it's me who gets "the look" so I know its power. I don't care about breed, size, looks, etc. I never would have intentionally picked a dog with the character traits of our girl Lacey who passed away in May. She was snobby, unfriendly to other dogs, a racist (the first and only racist dog I've ever had), a total priss and princess, and completely perfect just the way she was. She was also a sweet, loving, beautiful, devoted girl and I would not have changed a thing about her. Roscoe is the complete opposite of Lacey. He's ALL BOY! He loves rough and tumble playing, there's nothing delicate about him, and he's been an amazing addition to our family. I have loved the unique personalities of every single dog I've been lucky enough to share my life with.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Teddy was a birthday surprise from my father. He was adopting his sister for my step mom and he figured since I'm clearly dog obsessed that I needed a furry friend. I went to meet the litter and my eyes instantly met with my boy. It was love at first sight! I was/am suffering from severe depression and hate the idea of taking medications to help. I've had Teddy for a year now and I couldn't be happier. If it wasn't for my baby boy I'm positive I wouldn't be around anymore. He saved me from myself and I can't thank him enough. I didn't know much about yorkies when I got him, so it wasn't anything based on the breeds qualities. He just stole my heart.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
After my last dog died I swore I would never get another dog, too damn hard when they pass!!! But a few months later I found myself looking at rescue websites, & then one day get a call from the rescue we got our last dog from. They had a dog in foster who they thought we would love! My main criteria was that any dog we found would have to be cat friendly, not just tolerate them, but accept them totally. We didn't care what breed or mix as long as they were ok with the cats. We met Betsy at the foster carers house, where she sat so nicely right next to the resident cat! That was enough for me, it was sheer coincidence that she was totally gorgeous too! :D.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Teddy was a birthday surprise from my father. He was adopting his sister for my step mom and he figured since I'm clearly dog obsessed that I needed a furry friend. I went to meet the litter and my eyes instantly met with my boy. It was love at first sight! I was/am suffering from severe depression and hate the idea of taking medications to help. I've had Teddy for a year now and I couldn't be happier. If it wasn't for my baby boy I'm positive I wouldn't be around anymore. He saved me from myself and I can't thank him enough. I didn't know much about yorkies when I got him, so it wasn't anything based on the breeds qualities. He just stole my heart.
Oh my! Teddy is so cute!!! :D

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I really didn't want a dog like Delilah- a tiny dog or a terrier. I was looking for medium sized biddable dogs- spaniels, Aussies, poodle mixes. I was even on a waiting list for a whippet. But I was on Petfinder and I saw her picture and her EARS and showed my boyfriend and he loved her too. We got approved to adopt her within 10 minutes of submitting the application and decided to take the risk without meeting her first. I'm glad I did, but I also can't wait to get a spaniel in the future.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
For better or for worse, I swear Chisum chose me. I wanted a super-happy-social dog, the kind of dog I could take on trips, to the park, to visit friends. The rescue said he was very social. When I first arrived, they brought out him and an older puppy, about 12 weeks (many dogs were seized and brought to this rescue from the former "breeder"). I honestly couldn't choose. Both were bouncy and happy, but Chisum was very interested in interacting with me (and really, only me, but I didn't realize at the time).

He came with a massive bag of behavioral issues, refused to interact with anyone else for a good couple of months, and has made me feel insane more times than I can count. If anyone had seen into the future and told me this, I wouldn't have wanted to deal with it. But, he has taught me so much and is so loving and sweet. He's a gem, I just need to polish him a bit more than I anticipated ;)

For Sophie, my little terrier, I actually wanted one of these little Maltese X puppies at a local rescue. They were all snapped up very quickly, though, a good two weeks before the rescue said they could be placed. :rolleyes:. So I had to look elsewhere. I saw a petfinder listing for a Poodle X Schnauzer mix (no picture) and just had a feeling. The rescue was very concerned that I hadn't seen a picture - she was and is kind of funny looking :) - but upon arrival she immediately ran to me and did her happy dance...and I knew this was my little girl.

My father chose our Aussie after he decided he wanted another and found a litter of working pups. I also lost two dogs in the last year and a half to old age; a Lab mix that I chose from the pound when I was 11 after my parents promised me a puppy - she was the only one of her litter of 10 that was awake and I wanted a playful puppy, so that was my reasoning there. She was great, though :). I also had a Sheltie that I got when I was 9; I didn't pick him, my brother did, but he quickly became my heart dog.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Honestly I wasn't looking for anything specific, but came upon them one by one when I needed them or they needed me.

There are very few deal breakers for me as far as dogs go. Unpredictable human aggression being at the top of the list - not talking about resource guarding or reactivity with predictable triggers or even breed traits, but truly "screw loose" territory. Not going there. And I don't care for really high maintenance grooming. (How's that for deep and shallow reasons lol).

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Because I realized that if I don`t take her, she`ll die. She was a stray puppy (in a country where dogs are treated as rats, literally). (ps was not looking for a dog at all :))

And she had such expressive eyes and was very cute, despite the mange and ringworm :D

She looks very much like a Greek Shepherd, a LGD and I`ve come to love the breed. In a nut-shell she`s very social/good with people but doesn`t mindlessly love everyone (has a good weird-person radar)... on the one hand it makes life a bit harder - she barks at addicts/drunks/thugs but on the other hand I know that I am very safe with her.

She`s confident (not really afraid of anything), assertive and independent (love how she doesn`t flip out when i go to bathroom or work and likes spending time on her own) but also very goofy and very playful.

We took a plunge into the unknown when we rescued her but she turned out to be a very good dog.... and gorgeous :p:D

Puppy:
e1.jpg

Now:
e2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I had always wanted a herding breed. Their agility, intelligence, drive, how biddable they are, and they're super cute to boot. I've loved Aussies for a long time, so spent forever researching breeders, we finally found one, and I hated waited for the pick up date.
When I picked him up, he was just this little bear of a puppy. Then I was heartbroken because for the first several days he was very indifferent towards me. Sure he was happy to play a little bit, and responded to his name after a few days, but he was not this crazy excited to see me "velcro dog" I'd heard Aussies were. Probably two weeks after we picked him up, we just clicked and he's been my best buddy since then. He's got me through some pretty lonely times while my husband was in California going to school, so he has a very special place in my heart.

Picking him up from breeders:

My soul mate: (Please ignore my terrible hair. I'm super sick in this picture, thus the serious couch snuggling :p )

I've always planned to have two dogs, because I like they can play together, and there is a dog for each of us. Levi is great, but I wanted a serious performance dog, so I opted for a Border Collie. So we got our new puppy Heidi (who is now 13 weeks!). She is super independent right now, but is actually a much faster study than Levi. Just yesterday, she actually came up to me looking for major snuggles, which is something she hasn't been too interested in, so I was pretty happy with that!

Picking up from breeders:

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Teo, because we liked how his parents were.. especially his grandmother and mother. they were just really cool, polite dog ladies.
he had papers and he was bred to be not pure "pet" but also working dog. his breeder cared great for his dogs, the dogs grew up in the family with children and he socialised them with so many things, that the puppies were all extremely relaxed.
We visited several breeders of the two big breeding clubs and decided on that.

Sancho was an impulse buy of my mum. She just hated being without a dog so she thought it was nice to adopt a dog from a rescue in spain after seeing his picture on a website...he is special. but we didn't really take him in for his qualities because we didnT' know them yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts