Dog Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just found out that BABY is probably allergic to grains. She had not vomited since early in the year when she had a half teaspoon of rice with her food. It happened 2 or 3 times so we just quit giving her rice.

Well this morning I gave her 1/2 teaspoon of fully cooked original old fashioned oatmeal with her food and she vomited and had a bout of real bad diarrhea. Before the oatmeal her stool this morning was fine!

So we need help finding a

GRAIN FREE
LOW FAT
NO CHICKEN
NO OILS

Dog food

I cannot stress enough that all 4 criteria must be met. The Vets have found that she cannot and should not have oils in her food as she has chronic/ acute pancreatitis. She can not tolerate canola oil, vegetable oil, coconut oil, fish oil, and other supplement oil. She can tolerate a very small amount of soybean oil (very small amount). It must be very low fat due to the severe pancreatitis. She is allergic to chicken, and now it appears that she has been allergic to grains.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Surely your vets (more than one?) didn't tell you all this and then expect you to be on your own with such rigid requirements? What did they suggest?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I did a quick search with your criteria. Dog Food Advisor is a great resource when looking up specific details about dog food. Here's what the search returned:

Best Low Fat Dog Foods | Dog Food Advisor

The list the ingredients for each suggested dog food. I hope you can find something that works. Do you cook meals for your dog, as a way of controlling what is consumed?

All the best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Vets knew about the oils, fat content, and no chicken and we have been trying different Rx diets and so forth. We just found out this morning that she is probably allergic to grains. I sent messages to all her Drs about the vomiting and diarrhea after oatmeal but I am not one to wait on them to find something. All Vets move kinda slow, since Baby is not their only patient.

Yes I am working with Dog Food Adviser, I actually have been on their site for the past few months trying to find different things and posted on their Fb page yesterday. Today, everything has changed since she could have a grain intolerance too. If she is in fact allergic to grains, it could be exacerbating her Lupus symptoms so I have to move quick. She has been on meds for over 10 months now and she probably does not have much time left so I have to move quickly to find something as far as food and just maybe it will also calm her immune system and just maybe her Lupus will be more under control

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She sees a nutritionist at the university of Minnesota. Every diet so far has failed, mostly due to oils. I contacted them this morning and told them about the grain issue to add to the mix which will probably end their quest. If she wasn't allergic to chicken we would be ok. Its most likely going to be impossible to find something that she can tolerate. We may end up just having to stay on the Rx food she is on now. None of the grain free foods are set up for pancreatitis. She will eat anything so I might just have to feed her very lean beef, beets, a few vegetables and then try and find a supplement without oils. The pancreatitis will probably have to take priority over grain allergy.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
I'd ditch the kibble personally... I know you weren't too keen on the idea of raw, but how about a home cooked meal for a trial? We did it with Jagger for 3 months, just made a simple soup out of meat, organs and a few veg - he loved it. You can boil most of the fat off the meat and skim it from the surface. Best thing about it, you can hide any vitamin powder or other things in it.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
She is on the canned Hills ID LF Original.

I had thought about just boiling lean ground beef and then adding green beans, cauliflower, beets, peas, and a couple of pickle slices.

Where can you find canine supplements to add to it? BalanceIT I think may sell them
Any vet pharmacy should carry what you need, or order it online. I would put some organs through the dog too, liver, pancreas etc - those be gently cooked.

Beef is fine, pork would likely be a little easier on the guts starting off. We just made a soup, portioned it off and froze individual servings.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There is a line of Holistic pet food called "Only Natural Pet EasyRaw" it's a dehydrated raw food, grainfree, no oils, (no chicken in the beef or turkey formula)human grade raw ingredients, just add water!!!!... available at Pet360.com (I use the canned Duck & Turkey version of this food)
Maybe this will work for you!

P.S. comes in Turkey & Sweet potato or Beef & Sweet Potato

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would of been perfect, it was just a little high on fat. 20.64% by calorie. Her current food is about 17% by calorie and we need to keep it down to 13 to 15 percent by calorie which is usually around 6 % by weight.

That does give me hope that there is still something out there. Thanks for that food idea!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
OK! Next...........'I and Love and You (yes that is the brand name ) Raw Raw Lamb Boom Ba Dinner' 12% fat & grain free I think a lot of the raw dehydrated foods might be the way to go as most of them have no oil.... check out Chewy.com, they seem to have quite a few! Oh yeah, the Beef formula is only 10.5% fat!

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Another one is Bravo Freeze Dried (comes in Pork, Beef, or Turkey) all of them are under 10% fat Check out the Bravo website!

Reactions: Rain

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
You can use Chewy.com to research ingredients and fat% in foods. You don't need an account with them to do so.

I really think either home cooking for your dog, or doing a premade raw, will be your best bet. As far as I know all the kibble out there has some type of oil added to them.

This is a supplement I've used in the past that has pretty good reviews. https://www.chewy.com/nupro-all-natural-dog-supplement-5/dp/35632

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Friday night I went to the Grocery store and shopped for Baby. I put her on my gall bladder diet. with a few exceptions. We started by reducing her ID LF from 14 ounces a day to 10 ounces and replacing those calories with sweet potato, beets, green beans, and a tiny bit of cauliflower. Her moaning stopped right away that has been happening every time we lower the steroids and her stools resolved quick. Then last night I added egg white and 3 times boiled ground sirloin. But today she showed signs of a problem with egg whites so I will have to stop those and see if it resolves. I am going to keep adding and ad a little fruit and make sure she in not allergic to anything else. She is doing so much better and maybe her lupus might even calm down some, we will see.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am going to research all of it and a few others and decide in a few days what to try and switch to. What ever we end up switching to, I will have to add some carbs and proteins to get the fat down close to 6% or 15% by calorie.

I did check out the Raw Raw Beef Boom Ba and unfortunately is 26.7% fat by calorie. Most of the raw diets if not all are real high in fat but its misleading on the bag when they give you percent by weight. Her Hills ID LF is listed on the can as being 1.7% to 4% fat but when you get the dry analysis its actually 8.3% fat and 17.5% fat by calorie. Thats one thing they really need to push the dog food makers to give the actual protein, fat, and fiber instead of calculating it after moisture is added and by weight. I am sure a lot of folks have been mislead by what the container says. I used to go by that too until Baby had a pancreatitis attack and she was on 1.7% to 4% fat and I thought, NO WAY could that low of fat cause pancreatitis. Thats how I found out the truth about the real fat content in dog foods.

Hopefully this week we will find something but it may end up I have to just cook for her to keep the fat down.

Thanks everyone for your help, I really appreciate it

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have been using the Hills Rx ID LF and mixing in some veg to cut down on the fat. We finally found a food for her! Kangaroo by Rayne. They also have a diagnostic version that only has Kangaroo, potato starch, Guar gum, and salt (no oils) if we need and can add supplements then.

http://www.raynenutrition.com/Default.asp

They only do Prescription diets and have been formulated by Veterinarians for very specific purposes. They also have diagnostic food and custom Rx diets.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts