Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the things that angers me the most is that lots of people are very cruel to their dogs, I have seen people who hit their dog with sticks or kick their dogs causing them to yelp in pain, why do people do this, although a lot of these dogs end up rescued but some unfortunate ones get very scared of humans and may suffer serious injuries:dog-cry:

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Some people are just mean. Humans do a lot of cruel things to each other, to other animals, and to the environment. There are a lot of reasons why they might do mean things- some like the power, some are sadistic, some just don't know any better, etc. Doesn't make it right, but unfortunately that's just how the world is sometimes :(

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think a lot of it is learned behavior, just like many abused children grow up to abuse their own children.

Teach a child to hug, and that child will probably grow up giving their kids hugs and use other methods than corporal punishment to give a kid boundaries and guidelines to use in life.

People who hit/kick their dogs, as children, probably saw adults in their lives do similar stuff, and often people don't try to change their selves...don't look beyond what they were taught was ok and try a different method. I think there are people who are born more sensitive to injustice of things and they are the ones that learn to stop the violence and try other methods with kids and pets when it comes to teaching.

Also too, there are people who have a hard time controlling their tempers and make Zero effort to do so. When I was a teen, I would sometimes black out during a rage....and I didn't like it and I decided I wasn't going to let my temper control my life. It took me several years on my own the reel in my physical reaction to my temper. (no professional help back then in my little town for problems like that). I still feel the rage at times...thankfully only a few times a decade now...but I also know what I can do to control it. I've been pretty level headed since I was about 20 in that regards. : )

Anyway, if I ever met my dog, Jaya's former owner. I might be posting help for bail here. What that man did to her is unforgivable - he took what was probably a nice little puppy, in in 5 years of isolation in a back yard and frequent beatings, turned her into a permanently warped emotional wreck of a dog. She's almost feral, but now having her for a little over 3 years, she is coming around to me...but she'll never behave like a normal dog, she'll always carry around with her a fear of humans and probably have panic attacks for the rest of her life. Fortunately, though, she's seeing fewer of those and they are not as intense. I keep seeing progress in her.

Stormy

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I think a lot of it is learned behavior, just like many abused children grow up to abuse their own children.

Teach a child to hug, and that child will probably grow up giving their kids hugs and use other methods than corporal punishment to give a kid boundaries and guidelines to use in life.

People who hit/kick their dogs, as children, probably saw adults in their lives do similar stuff, and often people don't try to change their selves...don't look beyond what they were taught was ok and try a different method. I think there are people who are born more sensitive to injustice of things and they are the ones that learn to stop the violence and try other methods with kids and pets when it comes to teaching.

Also too, there are people who have a hard time controlling their tempers and make Zero effort to do so. When I was a teen, I would sometimes black out during a rage....and I didn't like it and I decided I wasn't going to let my temper control my life. It took me several years on my own the reel in my physical reaction to my temper. (no professional help back then in my little town for problems like that). I still feel the rage at times...thankfully only a few times a decade now...but I also know what I can do to control it. I've been pretty level headed since I was about 20 in that regards. : )

Anyway, if I ever met my dog, Jaya's former owner. I might be posting help for bail here. And yes, I see the irony in that...wanting to beat the bejabbers out of someone for beating on their dog. Not a good way to break that chain of learned behavior but it sure would give me some satisfaction :thumbsup:

What that man did to her is unforgivable - he took what was probably a nice little puppy, and in 5 years of isolation in a back yard and frequent beatings, turned her into a permanently warped emotional wreck of a dog. She's almost feral, but now having her for a little over 3 years, she is coming around to me...but she'll never behave like a normal dog, she'll always carry around with her a fear of humans and probably have panic attacks for the rest of her life. Fortunately, though, she's seeing fewer of those and they are not as intense. I keep seeing progress in her.

Stormy

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some people are just mean. Humans do a lot of cruel things to each other, to other animals, and to the environment. There are a lot of reasons why they might do mean things- some like the power, some are sadistic, some just don't know any better, etc. Doesn't make it right, but unfortunately that's just how the world is sometimes :(
I agree, but also some people abandon dogs in a dump and leave them to die:(

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
StormyPeak I am so glad and in awe of you taking care and rescuing Jaya:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
When I see dogs that have been abused, it just completely disgusts me. Dogs are so loving and so dependent on us for everything. We rescued Samantha from a shelter almost six years ago, and I am convinced she knew we saved her, and knows it to this day. Couldn't possible have a more loving and loyal dog then she is. My wife and I think she is perfect. Have also been sending dollars to the shelter since we adopted her. Would love to adopt more, but we just can't, but I can and do send money to the shelter so they can save more animals.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The dog I'm adopting was abused by a female and since he arrived at the shelter he wouldn't let any woman come near him without trying to attack her. They said it was actually a better response than before, where he would be so terrified he'd literally faint at the site of a female. When I walked by he wagged his tail and licked my fingers through the fence. Love at first site!!! he's coming home soon but I have to say, if I ever meet the person that did that to him.....
Some people are just really cruel and some don't believe that dogs can actually feel pain

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, so many inspiring stories here, but honestly, lots dogs want to do is help their human companion, but the owners instead just abuse the poor dog instead of giving it the love and respect the dog so rightly deserves:(

·
Registered
884 Posts
Feeling greatful to the place and people where I live--I've never seen such things.

Reactions: Cynna

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sometimes it's a training style.. A really bad one. Also people who are mean to animals hold the belief that "their just animals." They are ignorant. It is sad to see.

There is this guy who lives down the street from me, and he adores Cesar Millan. Whenever I see him with his dog, he's always hitting the poor thing and trying to "exert dominance." As a result his dog is very mean to Chester and any other dog he comes into contact with. The dog is obviously not safe with children because the dog does what it's been taught. Violence to show whose in charge is all the dog knows. I feel bad for the dog.. Obviously a violent training technique creates a violent dog.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Honestly the only time I would ever condone hurting an animal is if myself or my own animals were in imminent danger.

My mother used to date a guy who had two Akita he used for backyard breeding. The male was nice. The female was... a bitch. He was also one of those guys who loves tough dogs for appearance and abused his animals to make them mean. He brought his female to OUR house one day and no sooner did he let her off the leash, she lunged at my GSD and grabbed him by the throat. She would not listen to commands, ignored us trying to get her off him, and she was intending to kill. The only way we got her off my dog was the guy grabbed our broom and hit her with it repeatedly... she even ignored that until the darn thing snapped in two. She was quickly leashed again and we pulled my dog into another room to let him take the Akita out before rushing him to the vet (blood was spraying from his throat). He got stitched up and was very lucky... but yeah... the only time I ever condone harming an animal is in situations like that where there's literally no other option.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Honestly the only time I would ever condone hurting an animal is if myself or my own animals were in imminent danger.

My mother used to date a guy who had two Akita he used for backyard breeding. The male was nice. The female was... a bitch. He was also one of those guys who loves tough dogs for appearance and abused his animals to make them mean. He brought his female to OUR house one day and no sooner did he let her off the leash, she lunged at my GSD and grabbed him by the throat. She would not listen to commands, ignored us trying to get her off him, and she was intending to kill. The only way we got her off my dog was the guy grabbed our broom and hit her with it repeatedly... she even ignored that until the darn thing snapped in two. She was quickly leashed again and we pulled my dog into another room to let him take the Akita out before rushing him to the vet (blood was spraying from his throat). He got stitched up and was very lucky... but yeah... the only time I ever condone harming an animal is in situations like that where there's literally no other option.
Oh, okay, that is different, I've broken up some tiffs myself using less than standard methods. And what you're describing is ten times worse than a tiff. Wow, sorry for you and puppers, that is so scary. Sometimes you just gotta do whatever it takes.
Not the same (not even remotely close) as kicking a dog because it didn't sit, or it's barking, or pulling or 'just because'.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@StormyPeak I might need bail if I ever meet Trucker's former jailer too. They were a jailer not an owner to my baby. The scars he has on his chin and legs and the fear he has towards everything especially belts and anything that resembles a whip just shows what I will do to them if I ever get my hands on them. :/

·
Registered
880 Posts
Where Trucker is from it was that good ol' boy southern way of training your hunting dog to hunt, they were a tool. They didn't believe they were abusing him. I am sure that he didn't do something right they whipped him so he coward so they whipped him some more. Finally either he escaped or they just got tired of dealing with his "useless" self and let him go in the woods. Funny thing is he isn't scared of guns and boy this dog hunts without me ever asking him to or showing him what to do.

He has major PTSD from his past but from day one he knew I was his person and he chose me as "safe". We will get there with everything else.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
What has surprised me is people who think it's funny to utterly frighten their dogs. Hopefully it's not true but sometimes I wonder if animal abuse is more common in private than people realize. Animal abuse can be intertwined with domestic violence at times too. On the other hand, I think and hope most people genuinely love their dogs and treat them well or at least try to.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in absolute awe of you for taking care of Trucker so well TruckersMom and I have much respect for you in helping Trucker forge a new path ahead of his horrible past:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I had a poodle/terrier? mix named Sampson, got her as a pup, for my 12th birthday. I had been told she was a male, and mom and dad didn't bother to check, until about 4 or 5 days later...when I was playing with the pup in the living room and the dog rolled over on her back...lol. I had already named her Sampson by then...and the name just stuck, although a lot of people just called her 'Sam'.

Sampson, looked like a poodle but had kind of a blocky body and larger, dense bone and good solid muscle mass. My vet thought that there was a terrier mix in with the poodle. Anyway, she didn't look as heavy as she was...she weighed about 30 pounds but looked like she she should have weighed about 20 pounds, it always surprised people when they picked her up that she was heavier than they expected.

Sampson was a very gentle dog, unless...someone messed with me, then she would show her teeth and growl. She only did that a few times when I had her, both times while on a leash and when a man approached me and got a little to close. She was by far, also one of the smartest dogs I had ever seen....she just seemed to 'understand' stuff and she could learn anything a person wished to teach her.

Anyway, at that time, my parents were divorced and I stayed with my dad, and my brother and his friend a guy named Ron lived with us. Ron and my brother had been out of high school for about 2 years, at that point, and I was about 16.
Ron was into karate, and in high school he placed 1st in wrestling at state finals...he knew how to fight.

One night he came home drunk, and for him, in a good mood, but also feeling like a bully. My dog, Sampson was laying on the floor close to me and he started doing fake karate kicks at her. I told him to stop. He didn't, Sampson started to growl, and that startled me, because she Rarely growled..and I again told him to stop...or she was going to bite him. He knew Sampson, and didn't believe she would ever bite anyone. And he continued to kick at her....and I got pissed and I stood up and in an angry voice that time, said "Stop It!"

Ron acted like he didn't hear me and kicked one more time...Sampson, though, I think was triggered by my upset voice...and the kick...suddenly launched herself...and in one leap, grabbed onto Ron's leg and bit him several times, while I fumbled for her and grabbed her and pulled her off.

Then Ron was mad, screaming he was going to kill my dog, and I was furious because he provoked her and got what he deserved...and I was holding on to her because she was ready to go at him again, thinking I needed protected. He started yelling that he could 'take me down in .3 seconds as he was a karate expert and champion wrestler. I told him try it, and he would have dog bites on more than his leg...and I knew how to fight dirty.

He finally backed off and went and slept off his drunk. I was, like I said, about 16 at the time and the next day had a talk with my dad about what happened. My dad was shocked Sampson bit Ron. I asked my dad to boot Ron from the house...and he did...gave him 2 weeks to go find a new place to live. Ron apologized, but I told him that I wasn't ever going to risk my dog's safety, or my own on the chance that he should ever come home drunk again and do something like that. I was so angry into pushing Sampson into a spot she didn't want to be in...one where she actually attacked a person. I also didn't like that he, a 21 year old super physically fit man, would threaten a 16 year old girl with a beating and threaten to kill my dog.

People can be mean to dogs...and think it's funny in the process. That wasn't Ron's normal behavior...when sober and up to that point, even drunk, he was usually playful with my dog. But for some reason, he thought it would be funny to torment my dog, and was too drunk to understand that the growling was serious....he thought it was funny too that he got Sampson to growl. He had never heard her growl.

His bite wounds...he had 2 punctures, some kind of 'scrapes' and a lot of like deep bruises - because of his job, he had tetanus shots and didn't bother to go to the doctor and he healed up ok...but the bite did leave a scar. Ron remained almost like family for decades, and at family gatherings, even after Sampson has long passed away, when he was in cut offs, I would see those 2 little dimples on his calf, all I could think was "Good Dog, Sampson" - hopefully it was a reminder to him too, not to tease dogs while drunk.

Once some years later, I asked him why he did that that night, as it wasn't quite in his character either. He just replied that's why they call it 'Stupid Drunk' some times.

Stormy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts