Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was having a conversation with a fellow dog person recently where we discussed another friend who has taken on another dog who belonged to another friend who had a terminal illness, sadly this person died, but was reasured her beloved dog was in a loving home. Now, this friend has a very sociable dog, whereas the new dog is not so much (due to a long term, complicated health issue) Anywhoo, their life has changed due to taking on this dog (& not for the good) & my friend & I thought we would probably not take on a second dog, my reason was because Betsy is nervous of some dogs & so could become more worried & submissive, hers was because she wants to concentrate on just the one dog (who has also had health issues) My question is, those of you who have more than one dog, does it work well, have you ever (honestly) regretted getting a second (or even third) dog?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I've had 3 for a loooong time now. Probably 10 years I've had 3 dogs in the house. It works out fine. They all get along. These were also all dogs, with the exception of one, that I raised and socialized myself, so they were very well trained to get along and share.

Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to only have one because I could dedicate more time and money to just that one. But I don't regret getting any of my dogs.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I have currently have 5. They get along pretty well (not all bff's but peacefully cohabitate). And I def don't regret bringing any of them home. I adore them all.:)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I have two. It works well, since Levi loves all other dogs, so I knew he would acclimate easy. Sometimes when I'm training, I think of how much easier it was with one, but I don't regret it at all!

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
We've always had multiple dogs. In the past, I've certainly never regretted it (after getting past those puppy blues, of course).

I did regret Chisum initially, I have to admit. Not only did he have a laundry list of issues, he wasn't good with my dogs right out of the gate - even though they were perfectly fine to him. He can still be a bit rude and socially clueless, but has gotten better. I have no doubt that I'll get another dog in the future, but it won't be anytime soon :)

I do think it comes down to the individual dog. I'm sure your friend would struggle just as much with this particular dog whether or not she had a dog of her own initially. Some dogs come into the home like a dream, and are just dolls right off the bat. Others, not so much. But those are the ones we learn the most from, right? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had four big dogs for several years. All of them were rescues that came into the household at different times.

They all got along. Each had their quirks but nobody ever bared their teeth at another.

The last of The Big Four passed last Spring. My younger (sevenish) rescue was lost and mopey so, I brought a yearling dog home from the shelter last month.

They get along fine and once again, I haven't had to house break The New Kid as the senior dog does all that for me.

And as Fate would have it, I now have the neighbor's 12-something Lab, as they are moving and don't want to take her:(. She has raised their boys but oh well, she is old and has arthritis--------

The Lab has always been an outside dog. My dogs are so used to seeing her over here, they don't think twice about her moving into our garage with a brand spanking new dog house and therapy mat to lay on when she doesn't want to be in her house.

I have yet to rescue a dog without some sort of quirk but, they all seem to understand this is a safe haven, quirks are allowed, fighting is not, health issues get you a visit to the vet and a zero in my checkbook afterward.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
I currently only have Zody, and I highly doubt I'd get a second dog even if I could afford one. Zody tends to resource guard his toys, chews, and space in the kitchen, from other dogs, and I honestly don't know how bad it would get, or if it would get better, if I added a second dog to the household.

My first dog was Shadow and he was an only dog for 4 years, then I rescued Jersey with the intention of rehoming her after I got her healthy, well she ended up staying, I think, she was around 2 or 3 years old when I took her in. Shadow and Jersey got along very well although they were never best buddies. The only problem that I had with them was some mild resource guarding over chews or food from Shadow.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I'm on the flip side, I've never had more than 1 dog and have been jealous of others that have more. I tend to feel like dogs that I've met that come from a multi-dog home seem more...doggie?

I have a friend who has 2 goldens. She loves both but she once told me that she wished she only had one sometimes so she can throughly enjoy that one dog's personality; as it gets over shadowed sometimes by the younger, more vibrant dog.

I hope to eventually add a new member sometime soon, but am nervous because I'm used to that one on one attention. Heck, I don't even know what it personally feels like when human parents split their attention between kids, as there is a huge age gap between my sister and I (18 years!)

Reactions: Rileysaur

·
Registered
669 Posts
Victoria is a weird position, because I lived with her before I got Quenya, but she only became my own dog after I got Quenya--so who is second and who is first :rolleyes: I don't regret taking over Victoria's ownership when her other owner couldn't but I do acknowledge she isn't the dog I would have thought to choose. Nothing could ever make me want give her up now though. I dished out $1000 in vet bills for her last January, no regrets.

There were times with Skipper I thought I'd chosen the wrong dog--not regretted getting a third dog, but wondering if I'd made a poor choice despite being careful and knowing exactly what I wanted. Those feelings passed once he got out of the worst of adolescence and I realized what a great dog he really is.

No long term regrets here. They all get along fine, have their own companion animal divisions (Victoria = housepet, Quenya = Rally/Therapy/Lassiedog, Skipper = Sport Dog). I do have to feed Victoria and Quenya seperately as they do have a bit of that which-female-is-best thing going on when it comes to food.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I only have Cosmo but I've been considering getting a new dog in a year or so and I'm honestly worried I won't have enough love to give for two dogs!

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have three dogs . They all get along fine . I don't regret getting any of them . I would get more if I could . I love Dogs ..

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I have had up to 4 and will always have at least two. There are things that dogs do together that they can't do with humans. Wrestling is one that they love and can't do with a human because they would shred our bodies.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I grew up with two dogs, but they were easy dogs and we had three people in the family to split time between them. One dog was really attached to my mom, and the other to my dad and me, so it worked.

I just got two dogs as an adult this summer and it's both fantastic and difficult. The dogs really really love each other, and get along great. They get a lot out of each other and I like their contrasting personalities. On the other hand it's been hard and a bit overwhelming. I enjoyed doing everything with my adult dog, and now I have to split my time which makes me feel either guilty or burnt out. It will be easier when I can at least walk them together or take them places together, but right now I can't. I either have to wait for my husband to be around so we can take both (which means worrying about his schedule) or I have to do separate outings with them. And I'm signed up for so many classes and activities that I'm completely burnt out. I think it will be much easier when the little one isn't a puppy anymore, but it's been an adjustment for sure. I also don't think it would be a big deal to have 2 if I wasn't actively pursuing dog sports and things, and we just hung out and went for walks.

Reactions: Shandula

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had two dogs for a long time. Both Pepper and Dino worked out great together, I would go on hikes and walks and train pretty much all at the same time. Though I can say that having one dog at a time makes for a much closer bond. I didn't really get close to Dino until after Pepper passed. He had been my step father's dog, (thought my SF never did anything with him) so I just exercised him. After Pepper was gone I took over his training. I became very close with him because of the one on one focus.

Right now I live with my BF and his dog, Kota. Kota is diabetic, doesn't take pleasure in training, aloof, one-person bonded to my BF and due to health reasons isn't very active. Sadly this is completely opposite of what I want in a dog. Being the dog person I am, I crave training and a friendly happy go-lucky pup. I needed my own dog, so I ended up getting Aayla to be that dog.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've had 3 for a loooong time now. Probably 10 years I've had 3 dogs in the house. It works out fine. They all get along. These were also all dogs, with the exception of one, that I raised and socialized myself, so they were very well trained to get along and share.

Sometimes I feel like it would be nice to only have one because I could dedicate more time and money to just that one. But I don't regret getting any of my dogs.
This. For most of my life I've had multiple dogs, and never once have we regretted having multiples from a practical/management standpoint. Any problems we've had have been due to the individual dog, not the fact that there were multiples.

Personally, in the ideal situation, I prefer to have two dogs. The ideal situation being enough resources (time, money space, etc) to properly care for all dogs, and that the dogs generally get along well. Part of that is selfish- in this ideal situation the dogs spend a fair amount of time playing/interacting with each other. That's not to say that they don't get plenty of attention from me, but it does mean that they have a buddy when I'm cooking dinner, doing laundry, and other personal obligations around the house. Watching them is also just fun. They do funny things, and it's cute. If I take them to run in an off leash area they get a lot more out of it than if I were to take a dog individually. I cannot run as fast as them and a tennis ball flinger is only so effective! I also think it helps to satisfy a social component that is important to many (note- I didn't say ALL) dogs. Some dogs just don't like or care for other dogs. While dogs were bred to be human companions and helpers most of them do still enjoy being around other dogs. Having two dogs helps to satisfy that.

That said, I would NEVER recommend someone get a second dog to fix training/management problems or simply because they think their dog needs a friend. You should only get a second dog because you want a second dog and have thought this through. Through a very complicated series of events I only have one dog living with me now. And, in my situation I would be very selective about the second dog I get. Some may look down on me for saying this, but I am not interested in getting a dog with "problems". I recognize that no dog is perfect, but there are a few deal breakers- I need something that is good with people, tolerates other dogs, and is both physically and mentally up to the activities I would like to do. For this reason my next dog is likely going to come from the same breeder as my current dog. I accept that problems may still arise and won't just give up on the dog if they do, but I want as good of a chance of getting what I want as possible.

In the ideal situation where a second dog fit smoothly in my life the biggest problems are having to split time and money resources between two dogs. This is especially the case when getting a young puppy that requires intensive socialization and training, and the case if you attend dog training classes or compete in dog events. The puppy NEEDS to go out in the world on a daily basis both with and without the other dog present. You still need to make sure the old dog gets enough attention while filling the new puppy's needs. I currently do obedience classes weekly with my dog. Our club only holds classes one night/week, so it's impossible to do classes with multiple dogs at the same time. Doing agility classes with two dogs is daunting as well- even if they're on different nights it's still taking three evenings out of my weekday between that and obedience.

And, the money issue. Even if you are capable of paying for two dogs' care it's the "optional" expenses that add up. You have to think harder about whether you want to buy that new harness or sign up for agility classes. If you want to compete with two dogs you either need to enter half as many events as you normally would, or your expenses will literally double. Rather than doing two runs each day for my one dog at the coursing tests I'd probably be limited to doing one run with each dog. Stuff like that is what stops me from putting my name down on a puppy waiting list today even though I'd REALLY like to get another dog.

Also forgot to mention that I will not leave two dogs out unattended in my house. I like to have intact males, and even if they get along swimmingly the risk is still too great for me. It's not something that stops me from getting another dog as at least one would be crated in my absence, but worth mentioning.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have 4 dogs right now, I used to have 6 dogs. Do I regret getting any of them? Unfortunately the answer is yes. While I love all of my dogs deeply, one of them is a nightmare; impossible to housetrain after so many years and having to clean up the mess daily really wears me down and increases my depression and anxiety. But I still love him dearly and will take the best care of him I can until his last day. Sometimes I do wish I could have given him back or found a rescue to help me with him. The only reason I never did was because he has so many issues that I know he would be euthanized at a shelter without a doubt and it's not fair to dump this broken dog onto a rescue that probably already struggles with helping so many other dogs out there. There was another dog (sadly not with me anymore, passed away in July), that was a great dog but I felt that he may have been happier as an only dog. He only really liked one other dog here (who has sadly passed away too almost a year ago), tolerated the others, and had a major fall-out with another. So I had to do a rotation as the 2 dogs could not live together anymore. I kept him as he was very quirky, and as a giant breed that he was, I felt he would be safest here. I'm not saying i'm the best owner out there, I just didn't trust anyone to keep him safe from his quirks and insecurities. The rest are an absolute joy and are so funny to interact with and watch interact with each other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it is could to have two dogs. They can run and play together and keep each other company. Dogs need companionship too! Sometimes we are to busy to give them all the companionship and exercise that they need. Having another pet would help. The pets could keep each other company and play together.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I think it is could to have two dogs. They can run and play together and keep each other company. Dogs need companionship too! Sometimes we are to busy to give them all the companionship and exercise that they need. Having another pet would help. The pets could keep each other company and play together.

Not always.

I have a border collie who would be more than happy to be an only dog. He craves interaction with me, not other dogs. When out on walks, he has very little to no desire to even greet or interact with other dogs.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love reading all the replies! This question was not a criticism of people with more than one dog, I am truly interested how it works for other people. I would love another dog, but at the moment I know Betsy has to be an only dog.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not always.

I have a border collie who would be more than happy to be an only dog. He craves interaction with me, not other dogs. When out on walks, he has very little to no desire to even greet or interact with other dogs.
This is Betsy too, she is fine with other dogs, but is more interested in sniffing than playing. She mooches around with a couple of dogs we walk with, but she's not really bothered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts