Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 8 month old Dogo Argentino got attacked by a smaller dog and then, after repeatedly yielding, got himself into his first dog fight. The smaller dog kept going after him and I don't really blame my dog for defending himself (the other dog owner was too scared to approach and control her dog, I had to handle him). The fight went on for a while before we could stop it.

As soon as me and my husband stopped the fight, we saw that my dog's entire head was hugely swollen and his eyes were bloodshot and grotesquely bulging. There is no blood or wounds on his head. I'm assuming that this an effect of adrenaline. His eyes are going back to normal but his cheeks and forehead are still swollen. He basically looks like a grown up Dogo. Does anyone know if the swelling will remain permanently?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I second the suggestion to take your dog to a vet.

In my experience, it's just a good policy to always take your dog to a vet after a dog fight.

It's possible that your dog could have a tiny tooth puncture somewhere hard to spot. This could get infected. It's not worth the risk. If there's a bite, a round of antibiotics may be wise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would take your dog to the vet, immediately.

Swelling might be the cause of an internal infection or disease.
It was an immediate reaction to the fight, literally. It cannot be an infection or disease, only an allergic reaction because of the speed. I will take him to the vet regardless because I want him checked out, just in case. Thank you

·
Registered
61 Posts
I second the suggestion to take your dog to a vet.

In my experience, it's just a good policy to always take your dog to a vet after a dog fight.

It's possible that your dog could have a tiny tooth puncture somewhere hard to spot. This could get infected. It's not worth the risk. If there's a bite, a round of antibiotics may be wise.
I agree, this could cause brain damage if allowed to escalate.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It was an immediate reaction to the fight, literally. It cannot be an infection or disease, only an allergic reaction because of the speed. I will take him to the vet regardless because I want him checked out, just in case. Thank you
Sounds good! Happy to help:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back from the vet, they have no idea what happened and they've never seen such a reaction to a dog fight. They gave him corticosteroids and a calmer and we'll go back tomorrow for a checkup. Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts