Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dog needs distraction during the day and a Kong or bone filled with food seems to be the only thing she really enjoys and/or pays attention to. My wife and I have been filling and freezing Kongs for almost a year now, but we seem to have some problem at least a few days a week (we forget to refill and freeze, the liquid portion leaks out of the small hole, etc.). Also, even when we do remember to fill the Kong, it can take a while to blend ingredients and get everything stuffed inside.

Has anyone found a better a solution than the Kong brand dispensable treat or a jar of peanut butter? In my opinion, the kong treat does not have the greatest ingredients and is expensive while packing too much peanut butter in there with food is too fatty. I was thinking a healthy dispensable treat that expands like whipped cream could be great. Also, any tips/tricks/tools for filling? Maybe there is even a toy better than Kong?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I love my Kongs - I have a whole section of the freezer devoted to them.

For stuffing them I have an assortment of stuff I use: applesauce, chicken/beef stock (low sodium), baby food (no onions), canned dog food, melted cheese and real meat.

I MIGHT use the Kong spray rarely, but not very often at all.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Freeze-dried raw food (Stella and Chewie's is a brand I like) made moist but not sopping would work fantastic in a Kong (frozen or not). Also freeze-dried chicken hearts (and other freeze-dried organs etc). Use a bit of jerky to block the small hole, if you want. My plan is to fill the Kong with freeze-dried stuff, then add enough moisture to get things nice and moist, but not wet enough that it leaks out like a liquid.

You can also put dry treats or kibble in a Kong, though then you also need to have a nice big something to block the big hole.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've put a bit of coconut oil in the smaller hole to plug it then you can put the kong into a cup to hold it upright. Add whatever stuff you want into it and freeze. You can even add bit of coconut oil on the other end too. I often partly freeze the big kong with Freyja's food, which is raw meat. Either cut up into chunks or ground meat.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I put some kibble in the end to keep stuff from coming out, and then i mix canned pumpkin and cottage cheese together and fill the kong. It's not liquid enough to leak, it's pretty healthy and my dog loves it. I then plug the big end with peanut butter and freeze it. That's a fairly easy and healthy way to do it for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freeze-dried raw food (Stella and Chewie's is a brand I like) made moist but not sopping would work fantastic in a Kong (frozen or not). Also freeze-dried chicken hearts (and other freeze-dried organs etc). Use a bit of jerky to block the small hole, if you want. My plan is to fill the Kong with freeze-dried stuff, then add enough moisture to get things nice and moist, but not wet enough that it leaks out like a liquid.

You can also put dry treats or kibble in a Kong, though then you also need to have a nice big something to block the big hole.
Thank you for the advice. I have not tried freeze dried treats in the kong. If my memory serves me correctly it seems like a little moisture does make freeze dried food swell and become a bit "sticky" (and it probably be much faster than regular kibble). This could be great!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you put liquid in there without making a mess? Cheers
I will admit that for a short amount of time we used a small plastic cone that would stick in the small hole of the kong. The cone would hold the kong upright and keep liquid from leaking out. Then Gracie ate the cone...

Also, I do not know what the cone was for, but I will probably look for another one of those. I will post it if I can find it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever try your dog on a frozen raw meaty bone?
We do use the hollow shin or femur bones that are solid and do not splinter. I have re-filled these bones as well, but they do not seem to offer our dog the same chew enjoyment as the kong. The only other issue I have found with the real bones are that the exterior flesh can get messy on the dog bed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Raw bones don't splinter, so any raw bone is safe. You can also put a towel down on top of the bed to keep mess to a minimum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts