Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great Dane? I really love them. I would love to own one some day. Could you tell me some stuff about them? I know they dont live that long usualy but I would love to know more. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
They have lots of health problems, and when I had my dane mix he ate about 100lbs of food a week. They are prone to bloat, and shouldnt be fed right before excercise, and should be trained from an early age since their size can do damage.

·
Banned
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh thank you. thats a neat site. I love all the information I can get. :)

·
Banned
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I plan to when we move. I would get one now but my mom say that we live in a shoe box with a bunch of wild monkeys as it is. 1 big dog, 1 Cat, 2 kittens. lol. but here are the 2 that I like right now.

Great Dane Puppies for Sale: Harlequin

Great Dane Puppies for Sale: Harlequin

I'm not looking to breed. maybe do a little showing but probably not. I would like to go to group play dates and stuff though. :)

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
They can have health issues like any other breed. When you own a giant breed dog you just have to make sure they are not over weight :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have owned 6 in my lifetime, 3 had been rescues, 1 I purchased and the other 2 were gave to me. Each had their own individual personality but all in all they were mild tempered with the exception of one female she had not been spayed when I got her. When she had her first/only heat cycle with me she became a killing machine anything on 4 legs was fair game. Needless to say she attacked and killed a dog, the owners insisted she be put down however the vet made a few phone calls and we placed her in a country home about 60 miles from where we lived..the owners of the dog she killed never knew we didn't put her down. They had her spayed and kept in contact with me throughout the next couple of years on how she was doing( lived in the lap of luxury) lol anyhow she was the only one with temperament issues the others were oversized lap dogs that loved everyone/everything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts