Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi- I'm new to posting on this board, but have been lurking for a few months. I have read some great advice and I'm hoping to get some help.
My family is adding a second pup to our home. We definitely want a puppy.. just questioning what direction to go in.
We have a 1.5yr old and a 7 year old and a 9 year old mixed breed dog. Our kids are great with dogs and puppies and very comfortable. Our current dog is about 65lbs and a rotti/pit/boxer mix.
Originally I really wanted a GSD because I have read they are great family pets, would make a great running partner (I am a marathoner so this is a big appeal), easily trainable, and protective of their family. We love the look of a white GSD so we would go in that direction, if we got a GSD. We found a breeder locally-- small, no genetic testing, no health warranty, but she has great reviews on her Facebook page. We have put down a modest deposit and have the pick of the litter. I was feeling good about it, but then I spoke to a few vets and a trainer who said white GSD's (gsds in general, but especially the white ones) can be very skittish and have a fair number of health problems. They said they are generally good with their family, but can be anxious with company. This would be problematic as we have kids over to the house frequently and live in a dense area with a lot of dogs and people walking around.
Then the breeder flaked on our visit and ignored my messages... I worried she was going to flake out and found a beautiful rescue puppy... a 7 week old Great Pyrenees/ lab mix, living with her foster family and looking for a home. Her foster mom says she is a snuggle bug and very social and friendly. I just heard back from the breeder, a week later, and she said a family member was admitted to the hospital and we can see the puppies this weekend. However, I have told the rescue puppy's foster we are interested...and we REALLY are... but I had my heart set on a white GSD.
Basically I don't want to make the wrong choice... for the dog or our family. I don't know what to do! I know I'll love whatever puppy we pick... but I just don't want to have any regrets. I don't want a super high maintenance dog (I know puppies are high maintenance, I'm just speaking relatively).
Ok...that was a novel. If anyone made it through that whole thing- you're a hero.
Any feedback would be SO appreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would go for the mixed breed personally. GSD's are not a healthy breed, but especially not white ones, and that is not a good breeder if there is no testing or anything. They do tend to not be great with strangers, so if there's a lot of kids and visitors around, that wouldn't be the best choice. I'd get the puppy that really needs a home and is much more likely to be a good fit!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree to go with the mixed puppy. We have 3 families in our neighborhood who all have kids and have GSD's. While each of the dogs are great with the kids in the families, they all need to be locked up when any company comes as they are all extremely protective and territorial so they are not the best dogs to have around lots of kids. Two of the three also now have hip issues. They are each from different breeders.

·
Registered
248 Posts
GSD are an amazing breed. I'm not going to tell you to not get one because they can be amazing family dogs. I am going to warn that you don't get one from this breeder though. They can have a lot of health problems, and personally I believe genetic health testing for hips/elbows at least is a necessity. In this scenario, I'd go with the rescue dog.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I grew up with several GSDs as a child but I remember a story my parents told about their first GSD. It was a white male named "Fancy." Fancy belonged to my parents before they had kids. When my older sister was born, Fancy didn't take to her like a normal GSD would. In fact it almost snipped at her one day. That was it for my mother, who rehomed Fancy that day. I've heard that white GSDs sometimes have an odd temperament, but honestly I've heard the opposite about them as well. I think it all depends on the dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A family member of mine has 2 white GSD. Same breeder, small, no genetic testing. She has a 1.5 year old male long hair, and a 4 month old female short hair. The puppy is the friendliest dog, loves everyone who walks through the door, and just generally a very happy-go-lucky dog. The 1 year old male is very friendly toward strangers, and is very bonded to his family, however isn't protective in anyway besides the occasional bark outside. He is however, very cautious, always looking over his shoulder type. My family member also describes him as having A.D.D. as he is very busy, and when inside, is always looking to get into things, never just wants to lay down and go to sleep. The puppy on the other hand, is fine with having a nap, doesn't get into things, etc.

Both dogs are very healthy, no issues yet. They are young, so issues might develope later on. However, they are great dogs, very pretty and fun to be around.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts