Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's a year old lab mix. She only gets it in cold/chilly weather, so the vet said she probably had a slight cold and gave her antibiotics. Well, we finished the round of antibiotics about 3 weeks ago and it is still happening every single time we are in like 60° Fahrenheit or below weather. Below is a pic, but she's only got it a little right here, there's been many times where she's got much more running down. At this point, I'm thinking allergies, but this doesn't happen in warm weather or indoors. I do have a cousin that's actually allergic to cold weather, could it be the same with my pup?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Eek.

I'd see another vet. :( Her foreface looks literally swollen to me - the bridge of her nose is slightly convex behind her nostrils, a Roman-nosed tendency, & there appears to be a rounded lump above her left upper-flew, behind that whisker bed.
Her whiskers are relaxed, not FLEXED, so there's no way she's wrinkling a lip - there's a low rounded dome, under the skin.

Culturing a sample of the discharge from her nose might reveal a possible microbe - but as she's had antibiotics already [once? twice?...] they may not be able to tease out the culprit, as the popns & ratios of various "bugs" has been altered by the meds.

That doesn't seem normal to me; neither Ur description, nor what I can see in the photo.
I'd be concerned - & the vet sounds quite blase' about it.

- terry

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I see where you mean on the lip, I'm checking it out on her and I think that may have been a light effect, because I can't feel any swelling there, but I uploaded a couple more pics to ask you if you still notice anything weird there. The one where she's smelling the ground is a good one of the discharge, it's very white and foamy. Not a very good pic but it was the best I could do because she's constantly licking it off so I kept missing it. Thank you for your input. I think I will take her to a different vet.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
Yep. Still there.

yes, she still has a rising curve in the outline of her foreface, in profile -
it's not pronounced, but it's convex rather than straight & tapering.

I'd def want a 2nd opinion - & i'd ask how much a culture would cost, too. ;)
- terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts