Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year old Border Tollie, very high energy and easily stressed, has started making strange whining/moaning noises when he's chasing toys we've thrown for him. It's only begun in recent weeks and didn't happen all the time, but he's doing it every time now. Whether it's a ball, his Kong, a tyre or his cheesy bone, if it's thrown or skittered across the floor, he makes a strange noise and charges after it.! We wondered if it was a reaction to pain, but we've checked his legs and hips/shoulders and he doesn't seem to be in any pain when we touch him, or when he's out for walks.

We were told it could be excitement, but if that's the case, why has it only started recently.? He's been chasing toys since he was eight weeks old and never made any kind of weird noises. He growls when playing 'tug', but that's it. Could it be something he's learned from other dogs.?

It's concerning us because a lot of the time it's very high frequency and he seems to tire very quickly.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Without actually hearing it, I would say excitement as well. High frequency 'talking' has always been exitement with my dogs.

My current pup is now 7 months old, I didn't hear him bark for 3 weeks. Now he has a variety of barks and noises. It could be a cute quirk he only recently developed as a young dog.

You say he tires easily, is it the same out for a walk?
When was his last vet exam? His annual is due soon? Def mention it to the vet when you go.

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
259 Posts
I agree with the others, my BC likes to "talk" while playing. Unless he's showing other signs of stress, he's probably just having fun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't upload a video because the site keeps telling me it doesn't have an allowed extension, even though it's mp4. (???)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Unfortunately only 5 seconds long, because after he grabbed the bone, he took it up onto the sofa and sat there chewing it.! Just my luck...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without actually hearing it, I would say excitement as well. High frequency 'talking' has always been exitement with my dogs.

My current pup is now 7 months old, I didn't hear him bark for 3 weeks. Now he has a variety of barks and noises. It could be a cute quirk he only recently developed as a young dog.

You say he tires easily, is it the same out for a walk?
When was his last vet exam? His annual is due soon? Def mention it to the vet when you go.

If he's going for a long walk, usually when it's dark or bad weather, he comes back tired but usually after a short rest he's back up and ready to play again. If he's going to the field to chase his tennis ball, he's usually out for 40 minutes and comes back panting like he's ready to pop and flakes out for an hour or more on the patio to cool off.

After 20 minutes chasing his cheesy bone or ball (or tyre) around the living room he's panting as if he's been out for the 40 minutes and flakes out on the sofa for at least an hour, but often 2-3. I also noticed today that he makes the noises only when my partner is home. I hadn't noticed before, but when I was alone and trying to video him he did it once but no more and after 5 minutes just gave up on playing and went to watch out of the window, which he doesn't do when my partner's here and playing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds like exitement to me! I'm not a vet, and perhaps something to bring up when you go, but IMHO what you're describing as for energy seems normal. At least my pup is the same, not much enthusiasm when he's all wet and full of snowballs (don't blame him). If he's running back and forth for 40 mins, that would make me tired too!

·
Registered
Z, Rescue Mutt
259 Posts
I second what @Schnauzaluv said. You may want to just mention it to your vet, but I highly doubt there's anything wrong (unless, of course there are other symptoms). That sounds like a dog who's excited to get they toy, so he "talks" He wants to get there faster than it is physically possible for a dog to run lol- I don't think he's in pain, just excited. Very excited.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts