Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog is amazingly smart and a fast learner. In fact, she's almost perfect in every aspect. However, one big issue we've been having is her whining. Especially in the car. It has gotten better as she used to whine from the time we got in the car to the time we got out. I've worked with her and now she only whines when the car stops and when we start getting close to wherever we're going. How she knows, I can't figure out. She's normally in the floor, unable to even see much of her surroundings and these are places she hasn't been often or occasionally at all.

I haven't been able to get her to stop completely. I've tried everything I could think of. She shows no interested in toys or food in the car and she will literally just put herself in the floor and whine. She's figured out that she has to stop before getting out, but nothing is stopping her while we're still moving. It's getting ridiculous and it has to end.

Can anyone explain to me exactly what is going on in her head and what I can do to stop the whining? We don't have too many issues with her other than the fact that she's had more accidents in the short time we've had her than she's had in her entire life. We haven't had that problem in a little while now though and am hoping she's done doing that.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Would love to see an answer too...
But, I've never had a dog that did not do that, more or less.
What's going on in their head?
Here's my guesstimate translation:

I'm excited!
I'M EXCITED!
Are we there yet?
Are we there yet?
Why aren't we there yet!?!!!
CAN'T YOU MAKE THIS THING GO ANY FASTER!?!
Are we there yet?
I'M EXCITED!
Etc...
And it's probably not a great idea to train and drive, so that's the other catch 22.
I don't sweat the small stuff and try to enjoy the yodelling.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first I thought she got anxiety because a lot had happened all at once and she was losing a lot of people in her life including me and we started taking her every other weekend when I was home and dropping her off at my aunt's house during the week. So I thought she was relating the car with someone leaving. But she really seems excited and happy to go places. She's the worst when we're getting close to wherever we're going. I don't know how she knows though. She's normally on the car floor due to her whining so it's not like she can see much.

I'm not so willing to let her get away with it. We're driving around a lot due to me going to my dad's and going to my grandmother's while I'm there. Mom and I have also been taking her places whenever we can, but her whining is ridiculous. She'll start whining if we stop walking for even a second.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Stress will make it worse, whining is a stress behaviour, so the changes might be adding to it.
Don't reward it by accident or circumstance--because then it can become a learned behaviour.

Of course they know where they are, so they know.

For the whining on walks, I would add in a "sitting" exercise. That is, on a walk, human sits, stands, or settles in one spot, and it just becomes part of what happens on walks. Dogs are generally restless with this, because it's unexpected. Repeats help. I might calmly treat the dog, but not command, prompt or cue any behaviour. Gentle slow petting if the dog likes that sort of thing, but work up to ignore the dog--just sit and chill. Bring a book. In other words, you sit and relax, let the dog figure it out for herself as long as she's not doing anything horrible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I still have to figure out what to do in the car, but I might try that on walks. Of course, we don't really walk a whole lot other than when we go places with her. Normally I just take her for a jog up and down the street real quick. I'm rather paranoid so long walks by myself tends to make me worry. But she doesn't really like the slow pace of a walk anyway. We have issues with that because she's normally either running ahead or dragging behind because she caught a scent of another dog. We've improved a bit though. She still stops suddenly when she smells another dog, but she doesn't run ahead as much.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I can take Kris anywhere in my Van (she is in her crate) and there is not a whine out of her until I turn into the road to the Fairgrounds. It does not matter what direction I come from and she cannot see out the window but she knows. She knows it means a run around free on the trails at the back of the Fairgrounds or some training in the Arena in Obedience or Agility.

It starts out with just a little whine and builds up to a loud screech. I used to try and stop her but gave up as that was the only time she did it and it was because she was so excited to be there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's weird how they know. Stella knows every place she's ever been even if she's only been there once. But she starts five minutes or so before we get there and doesn't stop until everyone gets out of the car and it's just the two of us. She will also start whining if we stop at, say, a gas station. And it will get worse for every seatbelt undone and ever person to get out. We got stopped by a train and she started whining. Then my sister decided she was going to get unbuckled which just made it worse.

My mom says that when it's just the two of them, Stella will whine a bit at first and stop on her own until they get close to the house so it seems to be mostly when I'm there. I don't know if it's because she's worried I'm going to disappear again or if it's because she's happy to be going somewhere with me. Really, she seems excited, but I don't know why she'd be worse when I'm there other than her thinking that she's going to lose me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts