Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm experiencing a new problem with Levi. Currently, when I'm working with Heidi, Levi is near-by in his crate. This is useful because they swap out pretty frequently to work, since our sessions are only 5 or 10 minutes long. I've noticed that Levi has a very tough time settling when Heidi is out working, more specifically he starts to whine. Not only is this annoying, but it is distracting for Heidi, and as Levi is my demo dog, he is often hanging out in a crate in class while the other dogs are working. He is VERY good in his crate if there are no other dogs around. We have proofed quite a bit with distractions in the crate, so he he will comfortably remain in his crate (door open) as I run around, throw food, throw toys, or play with Heidi. There just seems to be something about the "working" aspect that seems to excite him.
Thinking maybe it was the crate bugging him, I decided to try just having him go to mat and chilling. Nope, same thing, fine for all other distractions except for working.
I have tried clicking and treating him for remaining calm and quiet, but sometimes he gets into such a state that it is VERY difficult to find a quiet moment to reward. For training purposes at home, we could just put him in a different crate upstairs, but that doesn't solve the problem for class purposes.
Thoughts or suggestions?

Edit: I should add the "whining" is more of a groan, like what he does when he gets a little frustrated during training.

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Have you tried putting a blanket over the crate so he can't see you guys? That's what most people at my training facility will do when their dogs aren't on course. I do it with Riley as well since he's not crate trained at home and it helps him.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried putting a blanket over the crate so he can't see you guys? That's what most people at my training facility will do when their dogs aren't on course. I do it with Riley as well since he's not crate trained at home and it helps him.
Hmmm, I have not tried this. I'll give it a shot in a little while and see if it helps.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
I think it's one of those cases where it's a situation that isn't frequently practiced and there aren't good enough associations being made. I have the same issue and am working on it a bit now-when I'm in the situation that causes crying (working with the other dog, guests...) I bring a frozen kong for them to nom on while we work. Once it's done (typically try to time it for the same amount of time) we go back to a neutral situation-guest leaves (or hangs out outside and we head out for some quiet), the dogs are both crated, whatever is neutral. Lots of practice, and new situations.

The crying sucks like mad and I hope it improves for you quickly.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Sawyer does the same thing, I think for him its a mixture of wanting to be with me and the fact that there are treats being handed out and he's not getting any lol.

For me what I've been trying is when he's in the kennel while im working with Maye, every once and awhile Ill toss or give him a treat in his crate (only if he's being quit) while still working with Maye. Not really giving him any attention just calmly giving and quickly giving him a treat and then going to back to working with Maye. Basically having him associate being quite in his crate while im working with Maye is good and gets him good things.
I also like Kwenami idea as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.