Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm just curious as to why our dog Benji was showing this confusing behavior....we gave him a rawhide bone today, and at first he didn't seem all that interested in it. He just kind of licked it a little, stared at it, and then got bored of it. Just as a little background: we've never given Benji rawhide before, so it may have been his first experience with it. Anyway, after his initial lack of interest, he started pacing all around the house with it in his mouth and let out a whine or two. I thought maybe he just wanted to find a place to hide it or something, but he seemed really anxious. A little later, I thought Benji wanted to play tug, so I ran over to his tug rope. He followed me, but once I picked up the rope, he went straight to his rawhide bone next to it and started chewing it--but not enthusiastically; it was like he thought I was forcing him to eat it. He kept staring at me and giving me calming signals. Later on, I was in the basement and I heard this scratching sound coming from upstairs, and came up to see Benji trying to "dig a hole" and put his rawhide in a corner. At this point, I was really confused--so he does want to hide it...but he doesn't even seem to like rawhide that much. :confused: After that, I took him on a little walk, but he constantly tried to eat the grass, and I'm pretty sure dogs do that when their stomach is upset.

So I don't know. Any idea what Benji was doing the whole time? Is he trying to be polite by eating the rawhide, but his stomach just doesn't feel well? Does rawhide make his stomach hurt? Is he resource guarding? I really have no idea, but I'd like to know if any of this isn't natural....Thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
It is not that he wanted to hide it, he wanted to save it for later. My guys will come to me with their chews when they are tired of chewing on it. I take it and put it up. They are afraid if they do not give it to me one of the other dogs will get it. The golden does the whining sometimes when she wants the chew but then really does not. Could be what it was. :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
My dog will do the same with her rawhide bone - and the she ignores it except to play with it (flinging it in the air, tossing it aside, chasing it). She won't eat it though - she likes antlers better.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Sounds like he wasn't sure what to do with it, and decided that hiding it was his best bet.

Personally I don't like rawhide since sometimes it doesn't digest in the dogs stomach. But my two never liked it all that much anyway.

I don't think it would cause your dog an upset tummy unless he was chewing off large pieces and swallowing them whole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.