Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
well, what i know about dog food is to look at ingredients...

when buying the food read the ingredients...if corn meal is listed at all its a no go...and you want the first ingredient to be meat.

blue dog food is good, (only found at pet store) purina beyond is good and sells at grocery store, and only a few others (that i have looked into, and have read every brand at my local store or petsmart)

most good foods that adhere to the above have also veggies and fruit (blue) in the ingredients and some kind of grains that arnt cornmeal (which is just a bad filler i think. )

dogs need meat and the veggies and fruit are good for them too, but only certain kinds! there is a list of foods that arnt good or even fatal to the puppers...grapes being one of the fruits (bad)...choclate (possibly fatal) and several others.
type in google "food dogs cant eat" and find that list of no-nos.
good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look at how many vegetable/grain ingredients that's listed. I'm thinking of things as grain, rice, corn etc (and peas.. peas are getting more and more common since it's cheap and ''new'', it's also slightly toxic unless it's boiled, but why add it at all?). If you have meat first and then 3 or even more different grain types, there is still very little meat. They just used different carb-sources to confuse you and split it up so meat could go first.
Tey're also allowed to weigh the meat raw, but when the water is gone, there is less weight left. Yet, it can be put first on the list.

Avoid hydrogenic (sp? trying to translate from swedish here) since that's pretty much ..anything.. that's been ruined enough to not be recognizable anymore.... byproducts are leftovers since everything healthy is gone. Meat-byproducts are somewhat better. At least it's from meat..
Digestdigestiv (is it the same word over there?) is pretty much a way to get flavour of something without actually adding it to the food.

Agrreing with rojerronny; Hills isn't a good food. Vets don't get a whole lot of schooling when it comes to foods, but the schooling they get is sponsored by the big food companies. I know vets who agree to this themselves, but there are more and more who's starting to reconcider if the dry foods really are that great.

I dont believe in most of them (partially since they're heated which removes some important stuff), but there are decent ones. I'd give raw meat at least as a side-dish to the kebble.

(actually I'm switching back to only raw foods now, my dog was healthier with it. Only reason I stopped before was because of my own depression.)

But basically; Avoid foods with lots of ingredients you don't understand the names of, or with added, weird words to them (like "chicken digest"). Few, simple ingredients are usually better than lots and lots of different, strange stuff mashed into it.

Just my opinion after some reasearch and experience. It's not that hard to make a good food for a dog. Not more difficult than to make it for yourself or your kids - but of course it has to be with the dogs needs, not yours ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts