Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have a dog training and boarding facility sometime in the future. I live on the west coast, and will move to Washington D.C. in the next couple of years.

I am considering Jean Donaldson's Dog Training Academy, the Karen Pryor Academy, the Animal Behavior College, and Raising Canine Beginning Dog Trainer's Course.

Do you have and recommendations?

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I've done two courses (Dog Trainer Foundations and Dog Sport Essentials) through the Karen Pryor Academy and really liked both. I enjoyed both the content, and the actual set up/delivery of the course. It is easy to navigate, and you go at your own pace.
I've also heard really good things about the Jean Donaldson school. I've read her books and enjoy her teaching style quite a bit.
The KP one is faster, I believe designed to be completed in 6 months, but the Jean Donaldson one is like, two years I think.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! I'll let you know when I decide

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just talked with an alum of Jean Donaldson's academy. She gave it high marks, and talked about the strength of the alumni community. I think I will go in that direction.

Now, do I want to get some more experience under my belt first? Or, do I want to dive right in?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm taking the Karen Pryor Foundations course right now. I'm really enjoying it! @Shandula actually recommended it to me a couple of months ago. It mostly focuses on clicker training, then some other ways to teach cues, such as shaping, capturing, and targeting, then goes a little over doggy body language and myths and some other topics. I loved the topics on targeting, shaping, and capturing, because I only knew about luring before and wondered how people teach more complex behaviors. I'm enjoying training with my dog more too.

I'm going to continue following this thread, because I'm interested in continuing at either KPA professional or Jean Donaldson's school pretty soon. :D

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
@kelly528 Do you mean "wouldn't recommend"? Why do you feel this way? Did you have any bad experiences with them?
Yep a colleague of mine got an education through them and it in NO way prepared her to professionally train animals. A really chintzy course, apparently. She literally had to go and redo her education in dog training through a local trainer before she even knew where to begin with dog training.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Now, do I want to get some more experience under my belt first? Or, do I want to dive right in?
Definitely get some hands on experience. You'll need it to be taken serious when you apply for a dog training program. You also might find that some aspects do not appeal to you.
I love dogs, love to spend time with them, love to train, and love to play. So I worked at a Doggie Daycare. I hated it. Truthfully, it wasn't properly managed or staffed, so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but as a result it tainted me. :p

It would also be really nice if you could find a place to volunteer with training classes. It would give you a first hand look at dealing with people and their dogs, which isn't always a walk in the park (dog pun intended). So it's nice to know what you're getting into.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I've also not heard great things about the Animal Behavioral College.

I've heard really good things about the Jean Donaldson program and hope to take some of the Karen Pryor programs myself (I'm hoping to do the Smart Reinforcement one, and maybe also the Dog Sport Essentials class once I have some money to spare).

ETA: there's no substitute for hands-on experience, though. Work with your own dogs, seek out job experience in all different areas of dog care/training, and read lots of books and articles. Personally I've taken to having some google doc folders organizing all the info I find/research journal articles I read/ books I've read and the notes I've taken on them, as well as notations on specific trainers, whether I agree with their methods, videos and notes on their videos if they have any online, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts