Dog Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Of course I can do that when time allows me to do so, and I will make time whenever possible. Do dog owners never go to work?
Of course dog owners go to work and so do parents but I never left my 6 year old child at home all day alone so why is it ok to do that to a dog?

As always with these sorts of posts the OP says they are asking for advice , they say they will take advice even if it means not having a dog but when any objection or problem in their approach is flagged they become defensive to the point of argumentative,, not this is not purely about this post or this poster but a general obsevation of several similar posts.. such as one who wanted a large breed in a small apartment with no walk for 8-10 hours,another who thought it would be ok to go away for weekends if they had a doggy door and left enough food and so on...

If you wouldnt do it with a small child dont do it with a dog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As always with these sorts of posts the OP says they are asking for advice , they say they will take advice even if it means not having a dog but when any objection or problem in their approach is flagged they become defensive to the point of argumentative
I will gladly not get a dog if it won't work. You could have easily told me that any dog (regardless of breed) is just like a child who should never be left alone without resorting to impose your previous prejudice and assumptions on me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I will gladly not get a dog if it won't work. You could have easily told me that any dog (regardless of breed) is just like a child who should never be left alone without resorting to impose your previous prejudice and assumptions on me.
What prejudice.?

You asked for opinions you got them now you dont like whats said youre throwing a tantrum..

This marks the end of the conversation for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
What prejudice.?
That people post to ask for advice, but don't like it when they get opinions they didn't want to hear. Actually, I benefited from your opinions. As I said, I will not get a dog if it turns out to be a bad idea. I just wished you replied without making assumptions.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you wouldnt do it with a small child dont do it with a dog.
I understand what you mean and to some extent it can be a good guideline. But I must disagree with you that you can equalize a dog with a child.

Honestly I think OP seems far more serious and aware of the responsibility of a dog than most people that post here for advice. OP listens to our concerns and tries to solve them. I don’t really see what’s the big issue here. It’s been clear that OP care about getting the right breed for their lifestyle and also have made it clear that they will decide to not get a dog if it’s not right for the dog.

Op, I think you come of as realistic and responsible. However there are a lot of things to figure out before getting a dog so it’s great that we’ve been able to bring up the issue with the alone time, to find a possible solution for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I understand what you mean and to some extent it can be a good guideline. But I must disagree with you that you can equalize a dog with a child.

Honestly I think OP seems far more serious and aware of the responsibility of a dog than most people that post here for advice. OP listens to our concerns and tries to solve them. I don’t really see what’s the big issue here. It’s been clear that OP care about getting the right breed for their lifestyle and also have made it clear that they will decide to not get a dog if it’s not right for the dog.

Op, I think you come of as realistic and responsible. However there are a lot of things to figure out before getting a dog so it’s great that we’ve been able to bring up the issue with the alone time, to find a possible solution for it.
Thank you for understating my perspective. Your replies really helped me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes! I'm interested in lhasa apso and Italian greyhound, but my family doesn't really like dogs that aren't small, so I will look even further into the lhasa apso breed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yes! I'm interested in lhasa apso and Italian greyhound, but my family doesn't really like dogs that aren't small, so I will look even further into the lhasa apso breed.
Okay, what’s important to take in consideration is that the lhasa apso have been bred as an alerting watchdog. They shouldn’t bark a lot for no reason but when they hear someone approaching from outside they’ll be likley to give away a few warning-barks. If this could turn into an issue living in an apparent I don’t know, so make sure to talk to breeders and owners of the lhasa apso and ask about this.

As for the Italian greyhound I don’t know if you’re mistaken it for the large greyhound. I would at least consider the Italian greyhound a small dog (about 14 inches tall and 10 pounds). They’re also known to be a more quiet dog which would be an advantage living in an apartment.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That would be really great.
Where do you live? Sometimes different countries recognize different breeds. Your country might have other breeds than what’s known to me. Do I mistaken if you previously had the german flag by your name but now it’s the flag of Lebanon?

Could you leave a link to a site where I could see the approved breeds in your country?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Where do you live? Sometimes different countries recognize different breeds. Your country might have other breeds than what’s known to me. Do I mistaken if you previously had the german flag by your name but now it’s the flag of Lebanon?

Could you leave a link to a site where I could see the approved breeds in your country?
To be honest, and since I've never considered getting a dog before, I don't know what dog breeds my country recognizes. I will get back to my vet who would know this.
It was always the Lebanese flag by name.

·
Registered
592 Posts
To be honest, and since I've never considered getting a dog before, I don't know what dog breeds my country recognizes. I will get back to my vet who would know this.
It was always the Lebanese flag by name.
Okay sorry then I probably got you mixed up with someone else. Do you have an established kennel club in Lebanon? It’s likely that you could search for the approved breeds on google.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello everyone! Hope you all are doing well.
I'm new here, and this is my first post... Okay, so I've been considering getting a dog. I've owned cats all my life, and I have no prior experience in raising a dog. I'm researching that and asking my vet about it (so I currently have an idea on the matter), but I'd like to have some input from dog owners in this forum. I'm taking this very seriously so that I'll be fully ready and won't make the wrong decision and act rashly before having the dog...
I'm looking for a dog breed that would be suitable for my calm temperament in that it won't be extremely hyperactive and noisy. I have two cats, so it's preferable that it can tolerate them (I don't need them to become friends, I just want them not to fight all day). I don't expect it to be easy to train, but I prefer that it won't be too stubborn, but I'm willing to put in the time and effort for training and exercising/walking. I currently live in a relatively large house with a front-yard and a large backyard, so the dog would have plenty of room to run around and play. (Of course I'll walk the dog outside of my house). I also might live in an apartment from time to time so it needs to be adaptable to such a small environment. I'm leaning toward a small size because I think it would be too much to own a large sized dog as a first time dog owner. The major issue is that I won't be able to be physically with the dog all day when I'm living in the apartment (I'll be away for the amount of time of a work day and will be with it during the rest of day including the nights and weekends). Maybe this will severely limit the chances of my ability to have a dog, but if something works I'm very willing to go for it. I'm studying my situation carefully, and I will not get a dog if I decide that it's not what's best for it.
I'm really interested in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel breed because I hear they don't mind living in an apartment and are cuddly and only bark when necessary. I've also been suggested to look into French Bulldog, Miniature Schnauzer, and Shih Tzu. (In the order of my preference).
I think you dog owners are great people, and hopefully I'll join this community soon.
Thanks!
Active or not doesn't always have to do with the breed, also the dog's own character. Obviously if you get for example a beagle, 99.999% are extremely active. I was a first time dog owner too. I adopted my first dog just a little over 2 years ago and now I have 3. People always seems to have the wrong perception that small dogs are easier to handle and more friendly. That can't be further from the truth. If you want a dog that is more quiet, and doesn't bark a lot, then a large dog is definitely more suitable. My first dog is a shar-pei mix and she's the most loving and loyal dog you can ever have and so much character. But they're stubborn and require quite a bit of patient. They're very independant and are natural guard dogs. I live in a small flat and have 3 dogs, so they can definitely adapt to different environment and situation. But make sure you socialize them with other dogs and people, and plenty of walks. They're very curious and nosey towards pretty much everything and everyone. You give him your heart, and he'll give you his soul.
French bull dog could be a real handful, they're very "bull headed" and are often very active. Being a bull, they don't always get along with other dogs. I have been around many French bulls, some are very active and some is down right crazy, of course they're some that is very tame. It really depends on your luck. Most miniature Schnauzer barks like crazy. My suggestion is to go to facebook and join the group to which ever breed you want and ask for their pros and cons, and see if that particular breed suits you or not. I'd also encourage you to look for an adoption before buying a dog. There're so many dogs that need a home and by adopting, you're saving a life and they'll show their gratitude, and love you like no other.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update: This is an update in case someone came across this thread and was curious if I ended up getting a puppy. I did not. I decided that, for now, living with a puppy is not the best thing for me (or the puppy). I may revisit the idea of becoming a dog owner later in the future, but I'm completely satisfied with my current decision.
I appreciate those who responded with kind and helpful words.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Update: This is an update in case someone came across this thread and was curious if I ended up getting a puppy. I did not. I decided that, for now, living with a puppy is not the best thing for me (or the puppy). I may revisit the idea of becoming a dog owner later in the future, but I'm completely satisfied with my current decision.
I appreciate those who responded with kind and helpful words.
Thank you for updating us! Sounds like a very good and responsible decision if you feel like the time isn’t right for a puppy yet. There’s a looot to think about and take in consideration before getting a dog. I know it will take years until I will be able to get a dog of my own. If you ever decide to get a dog in the future, I wish you all the luck and don’t hesitate to hit us up with questions or updates.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts