Dog Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started my dog on raw but he is getting ground raw at the moment. I wanted to add in a RMB weekly. Here is what I can get from my co-op:

Pig Feet and Pork Shoulder
Turkey and Duck Necks
Beef and Pork Neck Bones
Chicken and Duck Frames

I know the turkey and duck necks are easily consumed but how about the others? Are the bones all edible or do I need to take away once the bone gets too small?

Thanks!

·
Registered
917 Posts
It depends on the size of the dog and the size of the bones. Beef necks are out, they are too hard and can break teeth, same with most beef bones. They can make good recreational bones, but it depends on the dog. Pork bones are good and I feed them often. Pigs feet are fatty though and can cause loose stool in some dogs. Turkey and duck necks are good, as are chicken and duck frames. I'm not sure which bones the pork shoulder will have. I buy whole pork picnics, which is the shoulder, boston butt is the upper shoulder. Both are good, but I prefer the picnic, it has the leg bone. I feed 47lb, 65lb and 110+lb dogs.

If you are just starting out I'd go with the turkey necks and chicken frames, then the duck. Duck bones are a little harder than turkey, and turkey is harder than chicken.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on the size of the dog and the size of the bones. Beef necks are out, they are too hard and can break teeth, same with most beef bones. They can make good recreational bones, but it depends on the dog. Pork bones are good and I feed them often. Pigs feet are fatty though and can cause loose stool in some dogs. Turkey and duck necks are good, as are chicken and duck frames. I'm not sure which bones the pork shoulder will have. I buy whole pork picnics, which is the shoulder, boston butt is the upper shoulder. Both are good, but I prefer the picnic, it has the leg bone. I feed 47lb, 65lb and 110+lb dogs.

If you are just starting out I'd go with the turkey necks and chicken frames, then the duck. Duck bones are a little harder than turkey, and turkey is harder than chicken.
Thanks he's about 50 pounds right now. So the pork neck bones and pig feet, chicken and duck frames these are all completely edible with the bone? Or do I need to monitor for bones on these? Do you know if the frames are long lasting? They also have pork leg bones. He's had turkey necks so far and consumes those in less than 10 mins lol. I also tried pig feet and those lasted two separate feedings an hour or so each time! However he did break the bone in two once he got all the skin off so I took that away...hoping to also use RMB's that last a little longer to give him a workout and give me a little break as well since he's still a 10 month old hyper puppy! Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Stay away from anything beef, since they ate just too dense and will likely break and/or crack teeth.

Pig feet are fine for strong chewers, but they are pretty dense themselves. That one would depend on the size of dog.

The rest are fine to feed.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Chicken, duck and turkey don't last long. It took Freyja less then ten minutes to eat a turkey back the other day. There is no need to take the poultry bones away. Pork last longer, though Vegas finishes the bones in less than a half an hour, cracking them in half. Lamb and goat bones last the longest, though those too Vegas cracks pretty quickly. Freyja nibbles on the end and takes longer, even though she is so much bigger. So part of it is the dog, some are just stronger chewers than others.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chicken, duck and turkey don't last long. It took Freyja less then ten minutes to eat a turkey back the other day. There is no need to take the poultry bones away. Pork last longer, though Vegas finishes the bones in less than a half an hour, cracking them in half. Lamb and goat bones last the longest, though those too Vegas cracks pretty quickly. Freyja nibbles on the end and takes longer, even though she is so much bigger. So part of it is the dog, some are just stronger chewers than others.
Are you considering pork to be poultry? Just want to be clear are the pork feet and pork neck bones ok to be consumed no matter the size the bone gets? New to giving RMB's so just want to make sure what to watch for and when/if I need to take any bones away...

The only thing they have lamb are lamb femer/arm bones which i think are fairly small. They do have goat shank which includes the fore and hind...would this make for a longer meal?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Are you considering pork to be poultry? Just want to be clear are the pork feet and pork neck bones ok to be consumed no matter the size the bone gets? New to giving RMB's so just want to make sure what to watch for and when/if I need to take any bones away...

The only thing they have lamb are lamb femer/arm bones which i think are fairly small. They do have goat shank which includes the fore and hind...would this make for a longer meal?
Pig feet are really dense, but if you have a large dog who is a strong chewer they should be fine. I personally have never fed pork neck, but from those I have heard who have fed them, they seem to be fairly easy to get through compared to feet.

I would worry about the lamb femurs being pretty dense for chewing through the bone, but if they are meaty it may take some time to get all the meat off. Lamb ribs would be really good to feed....

Don't know about the goat, other than ribs and shoulder blades should be fine.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Most dogs can eat the pork bones with no problem. I take away the smaller pieces that break off or if the bone gets too small. But that is up to you and your dog. My guys had no problems at all with pork neck bones. But I rarely feed them unless I can find whole sections of neck. The cut up bones are too small IMO. I feed lamb and goat leg bones without issue. The goat are young, I would be more hesitant about feeding very large leg bones from older animals. Lambs are also pretty young and while the bones are harder than pork I haven't had any issues. I've also fed sheep, mostly rib pieces and spine and my dogs didn't have any issues with them. There were leg pieces that I wasn't comfortable feeding so I didn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much, I'll start with the necks/feet but I'll still monitor just in case!

One last question if you don't mind. My dog has been getting ground turkey and chicken for now bone in. I have a beef tripe mix that also has liver and heart. My plan was to give the beef mix daily and then rotate weekly with bone in chicken, turkey, duck, lamb, pork, etc.

My question is, is it ok to give beef on a daily basis and then rotate with the other proteins?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When our local grocery store has a sale on pork spareribs, they package up the trimmings from the pork ribs which is just the gristly ends of the ribs. They have a lot of meat on them and not much fat so I buy a bunch every time they have them and put them in the freezer. I just feed them a couple of times a week as they are quite fattening but they crunch up the bones with no problem and they are really reasonable.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Beef is fine daily as long as your dog can handle it. Beef is rich and it gives some dogs the runs, so start slowly. I feed a lot of pork and beef, followed by chicken and fish. Other proteins I feed as I get them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just started my dog on raw but he is getting ground raw at the moment. I wanted to add in a RMB weekly. Here is what I can get from my co-op:

Pig Feet and Pork Shoulder
Turkey and Duck Necks
Beef and Pork Neck Bones
Chicken and Duck Frames
Avoid weight bearing bones which include neck bones. There are denser parts and chewier parts on necks bones so my dogs can eat the "spongy" parts but leave the harder parts behind. I got to the point where I don't do neck bones anymore, pork or beef.

Shoulder blade bones I'm not sure I've tried. I may have inadvertently fed them as some pork chops are cut from the shoulder. I'd have to look at them. Usually it's better not to give Y shaped or oddly shaped bones.

The beef bones I like the best are oxtails and rib bones, especially cross cut ribs.

I wouldn't do pig feet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
They also have pork leg bones.
I would stay away from shank. One of the first things I tried were knuckle bones but those usually have shank attached. The shank is nice cause of the marrow but even my 70 lb lab had trouble cracking open the shank, and then just ate the marrow, left the bone.

·
Registered
917 Posts
IMO all pork bones are fine and I've fed them for many many years without issue. Even my mom's smaller dogs can eat pigs feet. Pork bones are much softer than something like cow bones, they are also softer than lamb bones. I feed shoulder blade regularly. Beef rib bones are much harder than pork bones. Pork neck bones are fine, beef neck bones are too hard and normally cut in small odd pieces.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Beef rib bones are much harder than pork bones.
Sfunny how we all have differing opinions and experiences. :)

Beef rib bones are no problem for my lab and even my 45 pound spaniel mix could eat them but I went to the cross cut ribs cause the bones are in smaller, easier to chew pieces. Less fatty too. Pork rib bones are awesome.

I forgot to mention the reason I stopped feeding shank was cause Tango kept slicing her gums on them. That and burying them to dig up later.

Sitting here thinking was I feeding beef neck bones? Not sure if I fed pork bones at all. I think I did but.... The thing about neck bones is they come in 2 to 3 pound packages and I don't want to buy that much just to feed a couple pieces and have a failed experiment. I suppose I could use them for soup or stew, but whatever.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sfunny how we all have differing opinions and experiences. :)
It is funny. None of my dogs, even Vegas who can crack almost everything I give him, has ever fully eaten a beef rib. The best he's done was nibble the ends. I don't get them to Freyja because I'm afraid she would try to swallow it whole. I wish I could fine whole sections of pork necks, all I find around here are cut up pieces. From time to time I fine larger sections, but it's be a few years.

But a lot of it is trial and error and seeing what works for your dogs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Perhaps the ribs in your area are cut from a different section of the bone. The ones here are anywhere from 4 to 6 inches long with a about half-inch-thick strip of meat and a thick bark of fat on that. I should take pictures.

Or perhaps your local cows are weightlifters.

Tango threw up a piece of bone today and since she had an oxtail yesterday, I don't know if it's something she dug up or not.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Just normal beef ribs, not the short ribs. I think they are called back ribs. You're actually the first person I've heard of who's dogs fully eating beef ribs. Even my rats can have the bones for years, while pork bones are fully gone in a couple of months, max.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts