Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a cocker spaniel puppy in a couple of weeks and can't decide on a name for him. I did like Jeffrey but everyone I've said his name to doesn't like it so was thinking of maybe calling him Archie.

Which do you like better, Jeffrey or Archie?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Archie sounds more like a dog name, but you should pick what name fits him best

Reactions: Cookie001

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Best piece of advice: Name the dog a name that you will still love in ten years. My ex named my dog five years ago. I hated the name but let him choose it because I'd named the other puppy. My ex and I broke up three years ago. I kept both dogs. I still hate my dog's name. And every single time I call my dog, I am reminded that I still, still, still hate that name.

Second-best piece of advice: Name the dog after you really get to know him. Names have to fit the dog, and you need to have a solid understanding of their personality before you know what name will suit. Before I got my dog Haven, I was trying to decide between the names Ogre and Amrance. But then I met her and neither worked. The breeder called her Hope, which I hated. She was briefly Symphony, Cadence and Stanza. Then I found the name Haven, and it was just RIGHT for her, even though it was relatively far down on my list of potential names -- I was SO SURE that whichever puppy I chose was going to be Ogre.

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Ditto--you'll know what fits him once you meet him. :) We usually think of a handful of names pre-arrival, but we don't always even go with one of those by the time we have the puppy home for a couple days.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think I will wait till he's here to decide for sure on a name, but just wanted to make sure my name choices weren't completely awful!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Name your dog whatever you want to. If you like the name, it doesn't matter what others think. inkii gave a good example of why in the post above. And remember, for the first little while at least, you aren't stuck with the name, you can change it. Lots of dogs come home from shelters and the new owners change their name.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally I prefer Archie, but I agree with picking a name YOU like! With my first dane all my names kept being rejected by family members, so in the end I let my Mom name him Baxter (I was taking to long to decide and she said that is what she was going to call him, and since he was starting to answer to puppy, and that definitely was not going to be his name, I gave in). When I got my next one I knew I wanted to name him Havoc, and that everyone else would hate it (I'd mentioned it a few times and got a bunch of grunts and groans), didn't matter I named him the second I picked him up so by the time anyone met him he was already named. And each one of them will tell you they couldn't imagine calling him anything else.

It may also be best to wait til you have him, sometimes you may think you have the perfect name, but when you meet him it just doesn't fit. I know with my most recent puppy I had several names floating around in my head, but none seemed to fit, I've been a loyal dane owner for so long that most my names are more geared toward that breed, not the wrinkly mutt I brought home. Even toyed around with calling him different things, but it just didn't come naturally. Then I suggested Oliver, and it was soo easy to call him that, and he took to it right away! I like it and it fits him, but before I had him that name wasn't even on my list.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
He is absolutely adorable! And yes, do what everyone else has said and go with the name you think suits him best. No one else can really dictate that for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts