Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is a adult Tibetan, and it's having ear infection. I have used Otomax ear drop as medication but it's seen not effective at all and the illness is getting more serious. I live in Vietnam so that I couldn't get a very good animal medical treatment here. Is there any strong medicine better than Otomax? I think injection will work better. Could you give me some advice on treatment and what branch of medicine should i look for?
Thank you a lot!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I don't think anything injectable is going to help you out much. Otomax is good. Animax is good. Really all depends on what the underlying infection is (bacteria, yeast or both) and if the dog has an underlying problem causing the ear infection (allergies?). If the dog has allergies, the ear infections will just keep coming back.

Are you also cleaning the ears with an Otic cleanser?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Unfortunately the dogs become immune to the products the vets continually prescribe that is why we as dog owners use the meds and our poor dogs dont get better. The only thing that has worked for my dog is a product called pellitol ointment. Maybe your vet there could order it for you. It is thick and gooy you just fill the ear canal and let it alone for a week then clean the ears and apply again and leave for one more week. I used it on my hound that had chronic ear infections for 5 years I could not get rid of them. I used all of the things the vets prescribed over and over again. This was the first thing that worked and actually healed the infection for good. That was over a year ago and Bucks ears are still clear. About 4 months ago I smelled a slight hint of the smell that comes along with a ear infection so I put in the pellitol and so far so good. I also clean the ears and apply ear powder which is boric acid. It keeps the ears dry and also kills bacteria.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts