Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm deciding between 2 kongs:

I'm planning to stuff them with paste treats, as well as some solid treats, and hopefully it can entertain my pup for some time. :) He already has a kong for his kibbles, that is like the black one but has a small hole on the front, but I want to get him one for the treats.

Which one do you guys think that it would be better and more entertaining?? He's also a chewer, so I'm not sure if these would be safe without supervision?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have the black one - Taz loves it and she is a fairly aggressive chewer. It has held up for almost a year now.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Personally I would start out with the second one (the black traditional kong). They do come in red but definitely go with the black. They are stronger and more durable, which will be important with a chewer!;)
Dash is using the one that originally belonged to a past dog (a large mutt).

·
Registered
396 Posts
i freeze the paste/peanutbutter inside mine.. it takes longer for them to get through it and they seem to like the frosty treat.. lol if it helps at all

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'm planning to get the black one. :) By the way, do you guys have any homemade paste suggestions? I've tried to find the kong paste, but it seems that the only website I've found doesn't ship the pastes to my country. :(

·
Registered
888 Posts
Peanut butter and anything crunchy! Freeze it and let the lick fest begin.

I have also, just recently tried cream cheese and liverwurst. I thought they were going to loose their minds.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Should I get some peanut butter special for dogs, or normal peanut butter for human is fine?? Wouldn't human peanut butter have too much sugar??

·
Registered
888 Posts
I use Smucker's natural peanut butter - same thing that goes on my sandwich.

Do they make peanut butter for dogs?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I also use a natural peanut butter for my dogs (don't want to feed lots of sugar).

There are all sorts of ways to stuff kongs...
-Wet and dry food mixed together
-Plain yogurt and fruit
-leftovers from your meals
-scrambbled eggs
Just be creative!:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
i use an all natural flaxseed peanut butter.. it a little oily but it works and its really healthy. i get it at pretty much any grocery store

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I've finally got the black kong for my pup, and he loves it! I've been putting peanut butter with solid treats such as pieces of denta sticks and kibbles, and he seems to be able to clean the whole kong soon (this is one mystery I can't understand how he does it lol)!

He had parvo when he was around 2 months old (he's 9 months old now), and he was having GI sensitivity that he could easily get diarrhea, but he's much better now, and he doesn't seem to react towards peanut butter. :D

Also, he would leave the kong alone after cleaning it, so I don't have to worry if he would destroy it, although I have to have other toys/bones to entretain him after. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts