Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone
I'm in China. I'm wondering which the best dog food in the US. For reasons known to all. Most of Chinese people chose dry foods made in the US. Several brands pet foods are sold in the pet supplies market in China. All of them claim the brands keep the leadership in pet supplies market in the North American. I’m confused which one should be chosen for Coco. She is Golden Retriever and about 1year old. PLZ give me some suggestion.
The list is the products we can buy in China and prices.
Artemis, (very very expensive)
Back To BASICS, (medium)
Breeder’S choice Pet Foods , (expensive)
Canidae, (cheap)
Canine Caviar , (cheap)
Chicken Soup, (expensive)
Natural Balance, (medium)
Fromm, (very very expensive)
Nature's Variety, (medium)
NutriSource[FONT=宋体],[/FONT](medium)
PureVita (medium)

Please excuse my poor English :)

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Your english is not poor at all!!! I would have no idea it's a second language for you if you hadn't said so!! :)

I think the best way to choose a food is by ingredients and how your dog does on the food. IF your switching what your on now to something else-go slowly (i.e. have a small amount of new food + mostly old food, and gradually increase the ration so that you end up with all new food at the end of the switch)

Also-when a product makes claims such as 'human grade ingredients' this is not regulated by the FDA and they can put anything in they want and call it such. The best thing to look for if you want human grade is 'meat' and not 'meat meal' or 'meat byproducts' fda.gov is the site for some research :)

I'll post the info for each type and then we can all weigh in :)

Artemis (this one looks really good to me!)
Artemis - Holistic Approach to Pet Food

Back to Basics (this one also looks good, however it claims to use human grade ingredients-since there is no FDA regulation about that claim-they could put anything in and call it human grade)
Back to Basics All Natural Human Grade Dog Food

Breeder's Choice-I would NOT feed this one. They include Avacodos and they are toxic to dogs...
25 Human Foods Toxic To Dogs
All parts of avacado and tree are toxic =this should not be in their food.
AvoDerm Natural Premium Dog Foods - Natural Skin and Coat

Canidae
First ingredient is meal, which is a non-human grade ingredient. As well they split up the grains (which is a common trick) so that meat is the first ingredient listed (ingredients listed by amount)
CANIDAE® All Natural Holistic Dog Food - All Life Stages dry formula

Canine Caviar
Venision And Split Pea

I can't find CHicken soup

Natural Balance
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Original Ultra® Ultra Premium Dog Food

Fromm
Fromm Family Foods - Four-Star Duck & Sweet Potato Holistic Entree
At first glance-this looks like a really fantastic food!

Nature's variety Instinct: Chicken Meal Formula: Grain-Free Kibble for Dogs | Nature's Variety
First ingredient is a 'meal' as are all the protein sources.

Nutri source/ purevita
PureVita - Pure and Natural Holistic Pet Food

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
from that list I would choose either natural balance (not the duck one, the formula changed recently) OR the chicken soup brands.

Canidae changed formulas and many people are disapointed in it.

that said, there are brands on your list I do not recognize. :)

Your english is awesome, I wouldn't have guessed it was a second language. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies.

I fed my Coco AvoDerm Puppy (Large Breed). AvoDerm was most popular in China. Because it is claims AvoDerm benefit dog’s coat and skin.

And breeders-choice declares his products are safety for dogs.

http://www.breeders-choice.com/dog_products/avoderm-natural-and-avocado-safety.htm

I‘ll chose a dry food from neutral balance, Canine Caviar and Back to Basics. Confused……

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
It's so hard right now to choose food. The industry is really being questioned because of recalls etc. and also people are more concerned with their dogs nutrition and health then ever before. There is a mass of information available and some of it not good and some of it great.

The bottom line when choosing -make sure your dog does good on it. It doesn't matter if it's the most expensive food money can buy and everyone loves it. If you dog doesn't do well on it-make a switch.

Your looking for healthy coat and teeth, and firm consistent poops-and a good figure :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Canidae is actually a great dog food, as long as your dog adjusts well to the new ingredients. Meat meal as a first ingredient is better than meat by itself. Meat meal is all the meat minus the water, so the meat content is actually higher. If meat was the first ingredient, after you take out all the water, the 2nd two ingredients would actually technically be the first ingredients...confusing but it's true. And meat meal can be human grade...all it is is meat without the moisture.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Actually that's not true about the meat meal;

Meat Meal is by definition not fit for human consumption. Water is removed from all protein sources in a pet food label-Meat meal is something to avoid if you can, as it contains by definiton
"
Meal: A ground or pulverized composite of animal feed-grade ingredients. One example of a Meal is found on page 156 in the AAFCO book, Official Publication, 1994, Association of American Feed Control Officials Incorporated. It shows "Poultry By-product Meal consists of the ground, rendered, clean parts of the carcass of slaughtered poultry, such as necks, feet, undeveloped eggs, and intestines, exclusive of feathers, except in such amounts as might occur unavoidably in good processing practices." The IFN for this blend is 5-03-795. The only MEAT that might be in Poultry By-product Meal" 5-03-795 is what could be left on the necks after becoming clean rendered By-products of meat production. This is not enough that it can be measured and thus have an ingredient listing showing any POULTRY MEAT to be in the food."

From FDA & AAFCO websites-the governing body of animal feeds
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/ucm047113.htm

http://www.aafco.org/Portals/0/Public/Q-AND-A-REGARDING-PETFOODREGS.PDF

Meat by-product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pet Food Association of Canada — Learn More About Pet Food — Frequently Asked Questions

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just wanted to say... I feed artemis maximal grain free to my pup. he has LOTS of allergies and gets really dry skin, so he's on it for that. It's really great food, I have seen a HUGE difference in how he looks and acts! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well considering I have fed my dogs chicken feet, pigs feet, organs, heart, bones, etc as part of their raw diet, that definition of meat meal doesn't exactly bother me.

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
^^ Heheh Very true ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts